Captain Ewok

Remembering our Veterans on Memorial Day

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Unfortunately, I know several military who have died in the line of duty, including one immigrant, as well as some who worked as teachers in Afghanistan and got killed in recent attacks in Kabul.

1525648_10152407240710295_49621473546249

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

My personal thanks to those service men and women who gave the largest sacrifice imaginable, as well as to their families and friends who carry on their memories.

-Steve

Hang in there... Every day is one step closer!

My responses are derived from personal experiences and from the knowledge I have gained from others over time. I do my best but on occasion I could be wrong. Be warned! I am not a lawyer, I am an Engineer!

Unfortunately, I know several military who have died in the line of duty, including one immigrant, as well as some who worked as teachers in Afghanistan and got killed in recent attacks in Kabul.

1525648_10152407240710295_49621473546249

I'm quite sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have had the privilege of knowing some amazing folks who it appears gave everything to others first, and to themselves second. That takes exceptional character.

Hang in there... Every day is one step closer!

My responses are derived from personal experiences and from the knowledge I have gained from others over time. I do my best but on occasion I could be wrong. Be warned! I am not a lawyer, I am an Engineer!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

To the gallant men and women of all times who fought for their god, country, family, and themselves, I give my salutations. Thank you for giving us security and hope. May the fire of those who had fallen keep on burning for the rest of eternity.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Being Active Duty myself for the last 15 years I understand what it takes to make this a career. I would like to say thank you for all my brothers and sisters who have gone before me in defending this great nation and who have given the ultimate sacrifice. I salute you and your families.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thank you for this post Captain Ewok,

I am also remembering several of my battle buddies that gave the ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan and Iraq. Not because of a political idea or because they were ordered to go, but because they volunteered to serve their country, and more importantly to protect their fellow soldiers right next to them. We shall not forget.

Edited by Fabian&Rossy

Our journey to happiness: (click "show" to see our timeline)

05/05/12 - Wedding day!

USCIS

06/07/13 - Mailed I-130
06/10/13 - NOA1
12/19/13 - First text/email for case transfer
12/26/13 - Received hard copy transfer notice: Texas Service Center

01/21/14 - NOA2 Approval text/email
01/25/14 - Received hard copy of approved I-797
01/29/14 - Text/email advising TSC shipped case to DOS

NVC
02/06/14 - NVC received our case file.
03/13/14 - Case number, IIN and BIN assigned
03/17/14 - DS-261 completed. Email Confirmation received
03/18/14 - Received email to pay AOS fee. Invoiced and paid (in process)
03/19/14 - Requested NVC to "join" wife's and daughter's cases
03/20/14 - AOS status "PAID" for wife
03/26/14 - AOS status "PAID" for daughter
03/26/14 - AOS packets sent
03/28/14 - IV available and paid for both wife and daughter (in process)
04/01/14 - IV shows "PAID", DS-260 available
04/05/14 - DS-260 complete and submitted
04/07/14 - Civil docs arrived via DHL from my wife. IV packets sent (Finally!!)
04/14/14 - False checklist for IV packet (wife and daughter)
04/15/14 - Confirmed AOS approved (did not ask for specific approval date) - IV packets in system

04/25/14 - CASE COMPLETE (wife and daughter) :dance:

04/30/14 - Interview scheduled (yay!!)

05/02/14 - Received e-mail with P4 letters

05/07/14 - NVC shipped case files to Lima Embassy via DHL. CEAC status "In transit"

05/09/14 - DHL delivered case files to Embassy. CEAC status "Ready"

Embassy (Lima, PE)

06/09/14 - Medical Exam. 4pm appointment

06/24/14 - Interview appointment @8am Visa approved!!! Bananeyessss.gifBananezorro.gif

06/25/14 - CEAC status "Issued"

06/28/14 - Visa in hand

08/05/14 - POE !! smiley-happy093.gif

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 9.05.04 PM.png

Many thanks to the US veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to this country. For those who are new to America you can learn more about Memorial Day here. We welcome all VJ'ers to share their thanks by replying to this thread.

Below are a few meaningful quotes I found online:

Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices. President Harry S. Truman

The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, is directly proportional to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated. President George Washington

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty. President John F. Kennedy

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. President Thomas Jefferson

Memorial Day remains one of Americas most cherished patriotic observances. The spirit of this day has not changed it remains a day to honor those who died defending our freedom and democracy. Doc Hastings

We must be prepared to make heroic sacrifices for the cause of peace that we make ungrudgingly for the cause of war. There is no task that is more important or closer to my heart. Albert Einstein

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 9.05.04 PM.png

Many thanks to the US veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to this country. For those who are new to America you can learn more about Memorial Day here. We welcome all VJ'ers to share their thanks by replying to this thread.

Below are a few meaningful quotes I found online:

Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices. President Harry S. Truman

The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, is directly proportional to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated. President George Washington

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty. President John F. Kennedy

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. President Thomas Jefferson

Memorial Day remains one of Americas most cherished patriotic observances. The spirit of this day has not changed it remains a day to honor those who died defending our freedom and democracy. Doc Hastings

We must be prepared to make heroic sacrifices for the cause of peace that we make ungrudgingly for the cause of war. There is no task that is more important or closer to my heart. Albert Einstein

Thank you, both Veterans past and today's heroes. Your bravery to uphold American ideals is what makes our nation so desirable to people of all nations and races.

My beautiful girlfriend was able to join me from the Philippines and become my beautiful wife because of the ultimate sacrifices of our fallen soldiers--and those who have survived battle but lost innocence and/or comrades. We also thank the families who have had to deal with that knock on the door. My dad served and survived WWII. Families used to put colored stars in the windows of their homes. One color meant a son was wounded; another meant he was not coming home. It was very common to see many stars in one window. Maybe it is time for that tradition to begin again so we can be reminded of what our freedom cost. "Salamahalo" (Salamat/Mahalo).

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

My fiance, who was with the USMC, KIA on my birthday in 1969, at Quang Tri. Posthumously awarded a Silver Star. My present husband, a former Marine.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” On this Memorial Day let us remember why we got a three or four day weekend; it was not to go crazy it was to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Thank you

Edited by nadja_braun

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.