jonnyst85

Tourist visa for my Thai girlfriend

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am a 24 year old US citizen working abroad in Thailand and I have a 19 year old Thai girlfriend who I would like to take on a vacation to the US. This is purely for tourism so she can see what America is like and visit some cool places. I have no plans in the near term future to marry her, so I am not looking for a K1 fiance visa, just simply a tourist visa.

Also, she doesn't have a job and lives at home with her parents. She is also not in college at the moment. So basically I will be taking her on a vacation and paying 100% for all costs, she has no funds of her own.

So my question is, how much of a shot does she have at getting a tourist visa assuming she tells the immigration office the truth about the purpose of our visit? Would it help if I purchased round trips flights for us? I could always cancel the flights if she didn't get the visa and just pay the cancellation fee.

I am worried she will have almost no shot at getting this tourist visa and I understand I would not be allowed to join her in the interview. Her english is not very good either, will the interview be in English only? If only I could prove to the powers that be that this is just a harmless vacation for us, maybe 2 weeks tops.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Filed: Country: Moldova
Timeline

I am worried she will have almost no shot at getting this tourist visa and I understand I would not be allowed to join her in the interview. Her english is not very good either, will the interview be in English only? If only I could prove to the powers that be that this is just a harmless vacation for us, maybe 2 weeks tops.

The most you have to lose is the cost of the visa application. Your chances are not great, but my then girlfriend (now wife) was able to get a tourist visa. The country I'm working/living is a highish risk country, but at the same time small enough that I was known by one of the COs (not the one that did the interview.) She was mid 20's, had a job, masters degree, bank account etc. She also provided a copy of my residency permit as evidence that "we" would return.

Don't think about proving it is a harmless vacation, think about how you can prove she will return even if she gets there and decides the US is the greatest place in the world. If you don't think you can prove she will return, then you have your answer. Also, don't even think about buying tickets. They don't care, know very well they can be cancelled, and round trips are often cheaper than a one-way...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Don't put any hope on that ! She gonna hear this phrase : Your not qualify for this b2 visa . try an immigrant one , peace out

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Morocco

Marriage (if applicable): 2013-11-02

I-130 Sent : 2013-12-15

I-130 NOA1 : 2013-12-20

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2014-04-23

NVC Received : 2014-05-10

Received DS-261 : 2014-05-15

AOS Bill : 2014-05-16

Pay AOS Bill : 2014-05-17

I am the beneficiary

I got told the same stuff. I applied for the tourist visa for the wife in Vietnam and got it. All you have to loose is $160 for the application fee. Just tell her to be completely truthful at the interview and it might help if you go to the interview. You won't be allowed into the embassy for a B2 but if the staff wants to speak to you they can send your girl out with an invite for you to come in and speak on him behalf. That's what happened in my case.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I got told the same stuff. I applied for the tourist visa for the wife in Vietnam and got it. All you have to loose is $160 for the application fee. Just tell her to be completely truthful at the interview and it might help if you go to the interview. You won't be allowed into the embassy for a B2 but if the staff wants to speak to you they can send your girl out with an invite for you to come in and speak on him behalf. That's what happened in my case.

Your wife's situation is completely different from an unemployed 19 years old girlfriend that lives with her parents.

You are married with a kid, and you provided proof that you had a job in India to go to. That helped out your wife.

Apples and oranges.

Edited by aaron2020

Your wife's situation is completely different from an unemployed 19 years old girlfriend that lives with her parents.

You are married with a kid, and you provided proof that you had a job in India to go to. That helped out your wife.

Apples and oranges.

I've worked in SE Asia for 10 years now and have known a few people to get tourist visa's for their girlfriends. These are the same people that told me to try for a B2 when people here told me it was impossible because of the whole intent thing.

My point is if you have $160 to blow go ahead and try.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've worked in SE Asia for 10 years now and have known a few people to get tourist visa's for their girlfriends. These are the same people that told me to try for a B2 when people here told me it was impossible because of the whole intent thing.

My point is if you have $160 to blow go ahead and try.

I hate to be pedantic but I bet you actually don't know anyone who got a tourist visa for their girlfriend.

But I accept that you probably know lots of people who have girlfriends and those girlfriends applied for a tourist visa and were successful on their own evidence.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

I am a 24 year old US citizen working abroad in Thailand and I have a 19 year old Thai girlfriend who I would like to take on a vacation to the US. This is purely for tourism so she can see what America is like and visit some cool places. I have no plans in the near term future to marry her, so I am not looking for a K1 fiance visa, just simply a tourist visa.

Also, she doesn't have a job and lives at home with her parents. She is also not in college at the moment. So basically I will be taking her on a vacation and paying 100% for all costs, she has no funds of her own.

So my question is, how much of a shot does she have at getting a tourist visa assuming she tells the immigration office the truth about the purpose of our visit? Would it help if I purchased round trips flights for us? I could always cancel the flights if she didn't get the visa and just pay the cancellation fee.

Chances are about as good as winning the lottery, but you cannot win if you do not play. Fork over the $160 and see what happens.

Good luck,

Dave

I'll agree with most of the other posters, you can try but your chances aren't good.

I tried with my then 22 year old gf, that was in med school full time and we got denied (we are also from a low fraud country).

I did the buy tickets as well, a word to the wise if you buy a fully refundable (although expensive) it won't cost you any cancellation fees.

GL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I did the buy tickets as well, a word to the wise if you buy a fully refundable (although expensive) it won't cost you any cancellation fees.

GL

There is a reasonable chance the Consulate know this, so what was the point?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thailand is not at all like many other countries when it comes to this subject.

In this case I suggest you not spend even 160 to find out. She will NEVER be approved. Your understanding is correct. The true cost isn't just the visa fee. This will involve travel, hotels ect. She wont want to go alone so you will pay for at least two.

The price is really more than the money of course. She must go thru the stress, lose face and all the other aspects of the denial.

Like all information gained on V J, the people directly involved have to decide what to do. Once that is done the embassy makes the determination.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Your " stuff " has zero to do with Thailand. The embassy in BKK will not send the G F out to get anyone to " speak on him behalf ".

This 19 year old will not be at the window for more than 3 minutes. She will be denied as soon as they read her docs. There will be no questions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

99.9% chance of denial... But SHE is certainly allowed to apply (I say she because you as the BF has nothing to do with the application process)... You need to look at from the point of view of everyone is suspected of immigrant intent unless they prove otherwise, what does she have for evidence to prove the will return (other than her word)... If the answer is nothing, then you can predict the result... Sorry... But if you subscribe to the nothing ventured nothing gained the worse they can say is no camp, then I would at least give it a try...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

post below removed and returned to view minus the denigrating term.

10 million illegal immigrants in the US. I guess none of them were issued B2 visa's

I've known 3 people who's girlfriends were issued tourist visa's. They were able to scratch up enough evidence of return to the home country. One of the girl's was from the four floors. -----derogatory term removed by moderation------

I don't understand why people keep saying don't try. Your going to spend $3,000 on airfare. What's $160 and an afternoon in giving it a go. If it doesn't pan out take a trip to Bali or Singapore.

below post removed and returned minus the quoted post.

I completely agree, I don't know why everyday someone ask about obtaining a tourist visa, including you. All each and every person needs to do is fill out the required form request, pay their $160.00, schedule a interview date and show up.

The rest is up to the CO based on what criteria they have to work from.

This tourist visa forum needs to be shut down, with a page of instructions and everyone should follow the instructions. Everything else is a opinion of what some think that might happen.

below post removed and returned to view minus the quoted post.

I wasn't saying that no-one gets visas. Merely being pedantic that it wasn't the boyfriends who did the applying.

post below removed and returned to view minus the quoted post

I was one of many people who got rejected B-2 visa back in 2010. I had no ties back to home country? Oh well, I worked as a journalist - an editor- at one of reputable companies in Indonesia. I brought my papers from my company stating I had go back for my job commitment, I had rent apartment paper, bank statement for my saving, credit cards billing statements, my land property certificate, my insurance policies, and I had lost in nowhere why she did not even bother to see those after the CO asked me one question, only one question, "who will you going to visit?" and I replied back, " my boyfriend". And she said," the US embassy very strict to issued a visa". The interview ended less than 5 minutes.

The end of the day, she handed me green paper, stating "consider filing petition for K-1 visa". A few years after, I had chance to talk to the then US ambassador for Indonesia, Scot Marciel,for my job assignment and he gave me very vague answer that they are very strict to issued visa even though I brought up about a bunch of papers that the CO even not consider to looked at.

My then boyfriend - my now fiance- was upset about that just remember how we were trying to be honest for everything in fact he is the military.Sometimes, I felt resentful to see people who come to US with a tourist visa and adjust their status because these people are make others like me very difficult to get one. But as a girl who grew up in eastern culture, I always see a positive side of it.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.