55 posts in this topic

Darnell is suggesting showing the man that you're a responsible person. Having a garden to bring food into the house is one way to do that. There is more ways to be responsible than just bring a pay check into a household.

I have lived on my own since I was 18. There may have been a month here and there, where I lived with my mother and step-father because college was out or I was between jobs/places to live. There was even a time when I was homeless. I know people who had parents who paid for everything and they lived with their parents until they were almost 30. My husband joined the USAF when he was 18 and hasn't lived at home since.

Move out. Join a military branch. Get a job. Live with friends. Either that or figure it out with your step-father.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Darnell is suggesting showing the man that you're a responsible person. Having a garden to bring food into the house is one way to do that. There is more ways to be responsible than just bring a pay check into a household.

I have lived on my own since I was 18. There may have been a month here and there, where I lived with my mother and step-father because college was out or I was between jobs/places to live. There was even a time when I was homeless. I know people who had parents who paid for everything and they lived with their parents until they were almost 30. My husband joined the USAF when he was 18 and hasn't lived at home since.

Move out. Join a military branch. Get a job. Live with friends. Either that or figure it out with your step-father.

I do have a job. I am still saving enough money for the big move. I also applied to a full tuition art scholarship in New York.

I am really miserable in this house. I know when we move out, it will be a lot better.

Sometimes I just dont know when is "too much"?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do you have enough money to pay for your trip home?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

lol yea. I think she/he said it because I did mention my mom's garden. lol

It really had me thinking. I apologize Darnell.

Lol. That is actually a great idea but I really hate yard work and omg, I have a phobia of worms, catterpillars, maggots. OMG so id politely say no to that. :)

Do you have enough money to pay for your trip home?

Back to the Philippines? mmm no. I will eventually go back but I have plans here. I applied to an art school and I really want to pursue a career in Fashion or Film.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IM SORRY BUT I REALLY DONT GET WHAT YOU MEAN BY GROWING A LARGE VEGETABLE GARDEN. where is this coming from? lol

I know. It's OK. Read it again, I suggest 3 times.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

1. Make money.

2. Pay him back for damages.

3. Understand he's a 78 year old man who is now forced to, for whatever reason, help raise a 23 year old.

4. Move out.

I'm surprised he hasn't kicked you out. 23, with some art/fashion pipe dreams, and wrecking his truck? Eek. You need to contribute somehow.

Edited by AmyWrites

Timeline

1. Make money.

2. Pay him back for damages.

3. Understand he's a 78 year old man who is now forced to, for whatever reason, help raise a 23 year old.

4. Move out.

I'm surprised he hasn't kicked you out. 23, with some art/fashion pipe dreams, and wrecking his truck? Eek. You need to contribute somehow.

I do. I do give him $500 dollars a month. That is on top of my credit card bills. I pay for my phone and everything.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I dunno - anyone that has to drive a truck to move wood on a house,

seems to have a large enough plot of land to handle a largish garden.

I think getting all 4 children involved with it, seeking his advice (the step-father) on occasion will be useful to the 6 of you.

But that's just me. I want to assume, rightly or wrongly, that he brought all of the family in because he cares about you. I think you are staying in 'island' mentality (no, not any island in the PI) and are not thinking to integrate into a new life. You and your brother and sisters are one 'island' with no real concept of crossing over. Might be a cultural thing, might be a emotional quotient thing, might be a lack-of-maturity thing

or

The step-father has no understanding of who you are, expecting, instead, that you match up with his levels of expectations, always.

Getting a big-garden going on his property will be a family-building event. Your aversion to bugs sounds very strange, what with you now living in Florida (I cannot think how you could stay there all 4 seasons) .

Getting dirty and grubby is a good thing, always. I will assume by his standards, he'll like to see some sweat equity at the house.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

A punch in the arm, while not appropriate or really okay, isn't really a big deal IMHO. I was spanked with a belt as a child and slapped across the face a few times by my mother when I back-talked. When I read that an adult male can't handle a punch in the arm by an old man, I'm a little "really?!" But there are alternatives and maybe you should search those out if you cannot deal with this person.

I understand. I was raised in the Philippines where 90% of the households dont know what "face the wall" is.

I had the tsinelas (slipper), the belt, the walis ting ting (broom stick), UGH its funny when I think about it now but lol in a Filipino household, the punishment is something that you really wanna try to avoid when your a kid.

I had all kinds of punishment really.

I guess its because that it was my stepfather who did this to me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

... you are 23 with a learner's permit and you live with your mother ... and a 78 year old guy hit on the arm when you did not know how to drive and messed up his truck ... and then you are here writing about it ? ... dude , I think you are the one with the issues ... not your "step-dad"

After unloading them, my brother and I went back to the second tree and told our stepdad that we will be the one to finish it. He said "Okay." and he will be starting the fire. So we went on "chainsawing" the second tree to smaller portions to fit the truck. When we're done, I went back to the backyard and asked my stepdad if could drive the truck so we could load the "woods". He said yes but he sat on the passenger seat. I still have a learner's permit btw but I have already been driving to work and back home with my mom.

So I was driving, he was in the passenger seat. I was about to make a turn towards the the tree that we chopped off when I kind of drove over some hollow blocks in my mom's garden and almost hit a plant with the side of the truck. To my shock, he shouted at me "NO NO NO!!! GOD DAMN IT!! #%!@%^!$!@*&!!!!" and then he punched me in the arm and went on cursing and shouting so loud that I damaged his truck.

He went on and on telling my brother who was still outside that "I fu*k** up his truck".

Btw, this is the second time it happened. The first time was to my mom. He didnt hit her but he went hysterical too that my mom had to howl in her room. and what else... oh yeah, he is a #######. sorry but its true. :C

Timeline

I dunno - anyone that has to drive a truck to move wood on a house,

seems to have a large enough plot of land to handle a largish garden.

I think getting all 4 children involved with it, seeking his advice (the step-father) on occasion will be useful to the 6 of you.

But that's just me. I want to assume, rightly or wrongly, that he brought all of the family in because he cares about you. I think you are staying in 'island' mentality (no, not any island in the PI) and are not thinking to integrate into a new life. You and your brother and sisters are one 'island' with no real concept of crossing over. Might be a cultural thing, might be a emotional quotient thing, might be a lack-of-maturity thing

or

The step-father has no understanding of who you are, expecting, instead, that you match up with his levels of expectations, always.

Getting a big-garden going on his property will be a family-building event. Your aversion to bugs sounds very strange, what with you now living in Florida (I cannot think how you could stay there all 4 seasons) .

Getting dirty and grubby is a good thing, always. I will assume by his standards, he'll like to see some sweat equity at the house.

Maybe youre right. He actually told my mom when all four of us got here that "he swallowed more that what he could chew" something like that Im not sure lol

but yeah, I hate maggots I cant even look at pictures.

Timeline

... you are 23 with a learner's permit and you live with your mother ... and a 78 year old guy hit on the arm when you did not know how to drive and messed up his truck ... and then you are here writing about it ? ... dude , I think you are the one with the issues ... not your "step-dad"

I respect your opinion Mike. :)

I think you should talk to him and clear the air. Tell him if he ever hits you again or hits your mother you will put him in the hospital. Maybe he will think of you more as a man then and less as a child.

K-1 Visa

Oct 1st, 2013 – Mailed in I-129F Package to Dallas Lockbox.

Oct 4th, 2013 – Package Delivered.

Oct 9th, 2013 - NOA1 Text and Email

Oct 15th, 2013 - NOA1 Hardcopy received in mail. Notice date on hardcopy says October 8th.

Nov 13th, 2013 - NOA2 - update on USCIS website

Dec 9th, 2013 - Petition received at NVC

Dec 11th, 2013 - Petition sent to Manila

Dec 19th, 2013 - Embassy receives petition

Dec 29th-Jan 8th-Our first New Year's together.

Feb 23rd- Fly to Manila to be with Ema for the interview.

Feb 27th, 2014 - Interview scheduled. We were APPROVED dancin5hr.gif

Feb 28th, 2014 - Ema does CFO- Passes with flying colors.

Mar 6th, 2014 - Visa in hand and ready to fly home.

Mar 14th, 2014 - POE Los Angeles

Apr 17th, 2014 - Our Wedding date. (L)

AOS

Sept 5th, 2014 - Mail package to Chicago

Sept 9th - Package Delivered

Sept 11th - NOA1 Texts and Emails.

Sept 17th - NOA1 Hardcopys received.

Sept 20th - Biometrics appointment letter received. Appointment for Oct 2nd.

Oct 2nd - Biometrics Done!

Nov 15th - EAD & AP approved and on the way!

No interview or interview wavier notice received

Jun 30th, 2015- Received welcome notice and approval.

July 23rd - Ema finally has her Green Card :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.