badlo

Left the Country while Advance Parole and AOS were still pending

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

You might get lucky since perhaps the Airport personnel did not follow procedures? Thanks for keeping us updated, goodluck

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

He gave her a 60 day parole extension in her passport and told the attorney that she should bring an I-485 receipt next time and the case will be dismissed.

It looks like you both got really lucky. Except for your attorney fees and refiling of the I-485 you got it over with.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Fortunately, parole counts as a legal entry from which you can jump into an I-485 from. Re-file another I-485, and while you're at it I'd strongly encourage you to withdraw the pending I-485 at the same time, and you should have no further issues if what you've said is correct.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

UPDATE:

We had our Deferred Inspection on 2/26/14.

Based on your advice we retained an attorney. He told us that likely we will have a court date set and then the have to appear before a judge for deportation proceedings.

He was confident that this was not a big deal as we would just have to refile the I-485 and the case would be dismissed.

He also thought that there might be a way to revive the current I-485 and so at his advice we didn't refile right away.

We called the CBP office on monday 2/14 and were informed that her file had not been received yet from SFO. and that it can take up to 30 days to receive a file. (it had been 14 days).

We proceeded to the DI and were asked if we had refiled the I-485. We told them that we had not. The officer brought my wife and lawyer into the office and asked a few questions.

He asked if she had been told by the SFO CBP that she should have filed the I-485 and brought the Receipt with her. She said no.

He asked if they had taken her passport. She said no and produced said passport.

The officer rolled his eyes and looked frustrated. (quote from my wife on the officer's demeanor, as i was not in the room)

He then said that since they didn't have the file yet, there was not much else he could do to proceed.

He gave her a 60 day parole extension in her passport and told the attorney that she should bring an I-485 receipt next time and the case will be dismissed.

We are now refiling the I-485 and verified that my I-130 petition is still active.

Thanks for all your help

I'll keep everyone updated on our progress

Good to hear! good.gif I'm glad the second best-case scenario happened (would have been best if they just finished processing your initial one, but that was an extreme long-shot). Just...no leaving the country until green card is received, OK? content.gif

Edited because I posted within the quote like a noob.

Edited by ValerieA

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Good to hear! good.gif I'm glad the second best-case scenario happened (would have been best if they just finished processing your initial one, but that was an extreme long-shot). Just...no leaving the country until green card is received, OK? content.gif

Edited because I posted within the quote like a noob.

No, this is absolutely the best-case scenario. The initial adjustment adjustment application was *automatically* voided by rule of law when the OP left the country without approved advance parole. There was no possibility of a "long-shot" better result. If due to a further screwup USCIS had continued processing the initial application and granted a green card, it would have been a mistakenly issued green card and would have left the OP in a much worse mess later on when it came time for removal of conditions, naturalization or even just travel.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

No, this is absolutely the best-case scenario. The initial adjustment adjustment application was *automatically* voided by rule of law when the OP left the country without approved advance parole. There was no possibility of a "long-shot" better result. If due to a further screwup USCIS had continued processing the initial application and granted a green card, it would have been a mistakenly issued green card and would have left the OP in a much worse mess later on when it came time for removal of conditions, naturalization or even just travel.

If the AP had been issued before the petitioner left the country...not received, but at least issued...there would have been a case for continuing processing.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The fat lady has not sung.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Update

We had received her Work Auth and AP card in the mail at the beginning of March.

We did nothing with it as we were advised by our attorney that it was from the first filing and not valid since the abandonment.

Then we got something we weren't expecting, a Marriage interview with USCIS. (just a week or two after filing the second I-485)

The date was set for April 25th. (same day as the next CBP check in and the day that her parole expired)

Then we got the bio-metrics notice for the second filing. (this we were expecting)

So here we have what appears to be a valid work auth. and a marriage interview. we are completely confused and oh so glad we had an attorney at this point.

Our attorney advised us to go ahead and apply for a SSN to continue the commingling process (Joint bank accounts, health insurance etc.)

The day of the interview the first words our the the officer's mouth after we were sworn in was "why do i have two files?"

Insert long ### story from previous posts here

He was satisfied that our marriage was legit and was only concerned with how to proceed. (this had me worried of course)

He essentially merged both filings in front of us (literally stapling pages together from both physical files)

He handed us the signed document saying that we would be notified within 30 days of their decision.

I'm cautious about all of this until she has her green card in her hand, but at this point he told us to ignore the notice for bio-metrics and that all communications would come as a Request for Evidence.

We then proceeded to the CBP check in where they stamped her passport for another 60days.

So i'm of the mind set that it looks like everything worked out for the best and that our original I-485 was never abandoned. and that the second filing was not necessary (my wallet sure feel like it wasn't necessary)

BUT I also realize that things may go differently in the next 30 days.

So please let this be a lesson...DO NOT LEAVE THE COUNTRY WHILE YOUR AP IS PENDING.

It has been painful and annoying and expensive. I don't regret leaving the country for my wedding. But if I had known it was such a nightmare I would have planned better.

Timeline

Cautiously optimistic is a good place to be... You might have gotten lucky... Thanks for sharing your story and updates and for warning others not to play around with leaving befoemAP... I have seen several posters lately contemplating doing stupid things and playing smart with the AP issue... Good luck.

Btw... For some tangible numbers to discourage others I am guessing this has been in total a few thousand dollars and priceless amount f stress...

I-130

Citizenship Process;

Please post back with the final disposition.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Good job. The second application was definitely needed, though. The officer would have denied you right there without it.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Cautiously optimistic is a good place to be... You might have gotten lucky... Thanks for sharing your story and updates and for warning others not to play around with leaving befoemAP... I have seen several posters lately contemplating doing stupid things and playing smart with the AP issue... Good luck.

Btw... For some tangible numbers to discourage others I am guessing this has been in total a few thousand dollars and priceless amount f stress...

So Numbers...this I can do! =D

Cost of re-filing an I-485 ~ $1100

Cost of hiring an immigration attorney ~ $2800

Being stressed out over everything and unable to relax: Priceless

Other good news today we had a call from the CBP officer in charge. He informed us that our case was closed as far as they were concerned. Which means our petition has been granted and my wife's green card is in the mail.

I still don't believe it completely until we have it in hand but seems like we're in the clear.

Timeline

Good job. The second application was definitely needed, though. The officer would have denied you right there without it.

Yeah I look at the second filing as a fine. Basically we broke the rules and were fined but luckily enough we weren't forced to start over.

I also think that if we had flown back to LAX directly instead of through SFO we wouldn't have been so lucky.

Timeline

Good luck with the rest of your journey! Lessons cost... Good lessons... Cost a lot!

I-130

Citizenship Process;

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.