alicia98981

Apply for B2, Marrying in the US, Then applying for CR-1 after arrival of marriage certicate while still in the US

53 posts in this topic

hmmmm, I agree. We were thinking that if the B2 Plan didn't work, we could still go with our original for the K1 instead. I read on the state department website their is a 21% chance of him as a residentof morocco getting denied, so we're kinda hoping for that route to work first. The real question is do we be completely honest about our marriage plans or do we we just stick with the visiting route? I was kinda hoping that sheer honesty and demonstrating a complete understanding of what our options are would show us some mercy LOL. But we are definitely prepared for the K1 route worst case scenario.

Well, you've got no choice about the honesty part. smile.png Lying is likely to end you in more trouble than not (not that I think you're suggesting that, but just in case).

From what I hear of B1/2 visa interviews, the applicant often doesn't get a ton of time to talk about, or explain, the reasons for visiting the USA nor much opportunity to show their strong ties to back home. I think showing very strong ties back home is vital (rental/mortgage info for home, letter from employer allowing the time off work etc.), so definitely go loaded with that in-hand ready to put in front of the interviewer.

The application form for the B2 will ask if there are any relatives in the USA (including fiancé(e)s, it explicitly states that) so it's not something you can hide - it's bound to come up at the interview, and he may not even be given the option to explain - and there's not really much you can provide in terms of evidence that will proof that she'll be back after the wedding (which is why the VERY strong ties home will be so vital).

Simply saying, or writing a letter to attest, that you understand your options and really, truly, pinky-swear to follow the rules won't carry any weight compared to really good, documentary, binding evidence to his need to be back in Morocco after the visit, and even then, well... Yeah. It's a really hard sell!

I really don't think the odds are great, so I'm glad you're still considering the K1!

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

hmmmm, I agree. We were thinking that if the B2 Plan didn't work, we could still go with our original for the K1 instead. I read on the state department website their is a 21% chance of him as a residentof morocco getting denied, so we're kinda hoping for that route to work first. The real question is do we be completely honest about our marriage plans or do we we just stick with the visiting route? I was kinda hoping that sheer honesty and demonstrating a complete understanding of what our options are would show us some mercy LOL. But we are definitely prepared for the K1 route worst case scenario.

I'd say you be honest and tell them truthfully what your intentions are for applying for the B2, but if you do that chances are you'll be denied the visa. I had a friend wear her huge diamond engagement ring to a B2 interview, got asked about it and was denied outright without ever been given a chance to explain and she had really strong ties (business, bank accounts, properties and family) to her country. Give the B2 a shot and good luck!

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you have no intent to immigrate, why do you need a B2 for six months AND an extension? Plenty, in fact most, couples make sure their documents are in order even if they're not physically together. Sounds fishy.

He'll probably get denied anyway, being from a high fraud country and all. Better is K-1. They're not stupid, if you lie about your intentions they WILL find out. There is little to no "mercy" with immigration processe.

Actually, forget the K-1, I'd go for CR1 right now.

I'm guessing in your self righteous attempt to be negative you miss the part about extending to wait for all paperwork to be finished in the US? The premarital counseling is 8 weeks long. It takes weeks to get a marriage certificate which we need before we can start the I130. Why should he spend those weeks waiting the majority of the months it will take to finish the cr1 in morocco when he can finish out his b2 here and go back and wait the last portion of it? Why not file the documents here together eliminating time and costs to gather them? This is only an alternative I was asking for advice on, not a bash session. I asked for for advice, not ugly attitudes . .

Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2014-06-07
I-129F NOA1 : 2014-06-11
I-129F NOA2 : 2014-11-21

NVC Received : 2014-12-09

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned: 2014-12-10

NVC Left: 2014-12-11

Consulate Received: 2014-12-17

Packet 3 Received: 2014-12-29

Interview Date: 2015-01-12

Refusal due to failed drug test, required one year of drug tests

Final Drug Test: 2016-01-21; PASSED

A few days later the embassy called:

PETITION EXPIRED - RETURNED TO USCIS

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Married : May 7, 2016

I-130 Sent : 2016-05-20

I-130 NOA1 : 2016-05-23

Transferred : 2016-10-12

I-130 NOA2 : 2016-11-08

NVC Received : 2016-12-01

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2016-12-03

Pay AOS Bill : 2016-12-03

Send AOS Package : 2016-12-08

Submit Ds-261 : 2016-12-03

Receive IV Bill : 2016-12-03

Pay IV Bill : 2016-12-30

Send IV Package: 2016-12-08

Checklist: 2017-03-31

Case Completed at NVC2017-05-01

Interview Date: 2017-06-06

Interview Result : Administrative Processing 

Visa In Hand: September 28, 2017

POE: October 19, 2017 - JFK

Not all premarital counselling is 8 weeks long. I know people who only did maybe 4 sessions in the period of 2 weeks. For your church it may be that way however, which would eat up a great deal of his stay obviously (and also most of your 90 days for a K1...) Also there are many states where you can get the marriage certificate same day, double check on your state/county. You may just need to shift the wedding to another county to make it quicker.

Anyhow the point is, with Morocco as the country of origin, the chances of a B2 is VERY slim. You can try but don't get your hopes up. Also never lie to the consular officer, this leads to misrepresentation and a lifetime ban which obviously isn't the route you're wanting to go.

Best of luck to you.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Even being married you are going to need a lot of proof of relationship. There have been many married couples who were denied at this embassy. Gather anything and everything you can. Photos, family affidavits, multiple visits, make sure his neighbors and friends know about you, do everything you can to make sure you can prove a real relationship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Just so you know getting a B-2 visa being up front and honest is best. My fiance was bale to get one quite easily. She is from China and all we did was show strong ties to home and a letter from each of use understanding that we can not marry while on the B-2 and that we are going to go through the proper path of getting the K-1. Each step of the way we let them know yes we want to get married but will not on the B-2. She was issued the B-2 good for one year multiple entry. When she got to the POE she was even given a 6 month stay even though the tickets showed she was only going to be here for one month.

The big thing here is to be honest and not try to outsmart the system. You can not have your fiance stay in the US while you wait for processing to complete. You can visit for as long as they will let you but there is much to do in the home country for a K-1 and it can not be done while in the US.

Remember the immigration officers are trained to sort out people that are not telling the truth and if you are withholding something that will look like a lie. They may not know what the lie is but that will not matter and you will get denied.

When dealing with the US immigration always give them more then they ask for. If you read the laws it is your responsibility to prove you will return home for a B-2 not there responsibility to find out if you are going to. They are to assume all applicants will not return home.

Timeline

Not all premarital counselling is 8 weeks long. I know people who only did maybe 4 sessions in the period of 2 weeks. For your church it may be that way however, which would eat up a great deal of his stay obviously (and also most of your 90 days for a K1...) Also there are many states where you can get the marriage certificate same day, double check on your state/county. You may just need to shift the wedding to another county to make it quicker.

Anyhow the point is, with Morocco as the country of origin, the chances of a B2 is VERY slim. You can try but don't get your hopes up. Also never lie to the consular officer, this leads to misrepresentation and a lifetime ban which obviously isn't the route you're wanting to go.

Best of luck to you.

you're right, probably best to stick with the K1 instead of trying to find loopholes . . .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

It's legal to marry on a tourist visa (and have the intent to do so) but it's not to have intent to marry AND THEN STAY. That would be visa fraud.

I posted one issue almost similar to this about a friend of mine who was in a rush to go to the states because her B2 visa was about to expire or already expired this month to marry his bf and decided to stay. She left September and after two weeks got married and now saying she applied adjustment of status and get approved. If true, then Im happy for her getting ahead of everybody who are waiting patiently, wishing and praying when to be reunited with their loved ones and I am one of you who is struggling with this visa journey of ours.

USCIS

Dec. 6,2012 - PD
Dec. 7,2012 - noa1
Sept.6,2012 - Received email from USCIS, case transferred from NBC to Local Atlanta office.
- Scheduled hubby for INFO PASS dated Sept.26,2012

Sept.21,2012 - Hubby received a call from USCIS Lady doing a "PHONE INTERVIEW".
Sept.24,2012- Received Text & Email " CASE APPROVED"
Sept.26,2012- Hubby still went to his INFO PASS appointment to asked further assitance for the next stage.
Sept.28,2012- Received Noa2 Hard copy

NVC

Oct.22,2013 - NVC received file
Nov.5, 2013 - Received Case # and Invoice ID Number
Nov.6, 2013 - Received Email for AOS & FEE Bill
Nov.8, 2013 - AOS & IV payment status " IN PROCESS"
Nov.12,2013- AOS & IV payment status "PAID"
Nov.21,2013- DS-260 submitted
Dec.9,2013 - AOS & IV package sent
Dec.13,2013- False checklist received. Called NVC to confirm and they said just ignore it. Its like a confirmation
they received our documents.
Jan.14,2014 - Called NVC and heared our document was reviewed Jan.9 - and we got a checklist
on AOS & IV.

Jan.15,2014- Received official email checklist

Jan.15,2014- Responded to IV checklist in the afternoon. Sending my NBI CLEARANCE (again) Thru FedEx.

Jan 17,2014- NVC received FedEx document at 9:40a.m. signed by G.Peters

Jan 17,2014- Hubby took a half day off at work to dropped off personally to the lawyer's office, a checklist on his
AOS.

Jan.21,2014- IV checklist reviewed

Jan. 29,2014- AOS checklist reviewed

Feb. 20, 2014 - CASE COMPLETE

Feb. 27, 2014 - Received Official Email..Case Complete

Feb, 28, 2014 - Received P4

April 1, 2014 - INTERVIEW DATE 9:30a.m.

THE BAHAMAS - PORT OF ENTRY

APRIL 10,2014 "HOME SWEET HOME" with hubby

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I think I've said it before, I think people on tourist visas should not be allowed to adjust. Certainly, not well before former K1s. An adjustment from B1 takes 3 months, if that, whereas I am approaching 11 months (and people have gone past one year already), just because I did the right thing.

Now, on topic - B1 for Morocco - very unlikely, unless he has huge ties. A fiance in the US is a big red flag. Generally, K1 visas are easier to obtain than tourist visas, and even those are challenging for Morocco. Do you have red flags, like big age difference? He should probably join the Army, might not make it in time for the Air Force (he already needs to have a green card in hand to enlist).

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

I agree with the others who said the odd of getting a B1 is almost slim to none of a chance. It's rare that people from Morocco who applies for a visitor visa will get approved even if they get the support from the host family. People who have gotten tourist visas to come to America must have an extraordinary connection to America.

I would guess families of "royalty" or government connection or someone who is so established like owning their own business like Venezia Ice. But sending a son over for a visit would not be a viable reason when it's an applicant coming from Morocco. Sad to say. It's just that scrutinized and biased.

Why can't you get married in Morocco and then go the CR1 route? That would be the most logical way if you really want to be married as husband and wife before being deployed.

Timeline

I agree with the others who said the odd of getting a B1 is almost slim to none of a chance. It's rare that people from Morocco who applies for a visitor visa will get approved even if they get the support from the host family. People who have gotten tourist visas to come to America must have an extraordinary connection to America.

I would guess families of "royalty" or government connection or someone who is so established like owning their own business like Venezia Ice. But sending a son over for a visit would not be a viable reason when it's an applicant coming from Morocco. Sad to say. It's just that scrutinized and biased.

Why can't you get married in Morocco and then go the CR1 route? That would be the most logical way if you really want to be married as husband and wife before being deployed.

we want to marry in the US so that my family can be there, my dad can perform the ceremony since he is a minister, and because my dad is traditional and wants to meet him before we marry - essentially my dad wants him to ask permission. Not to mention with this possible deployment coming up, I rather he have already have met my family, us to be already married, and him waiting in a place he's familar with such as morocco while waiting for the cr1 to pass. During that time if I am deployed, at least he can spend that time waiting in moroccoand we can start our marriage after I return. Neither of us like the idea of him spending his first few months alone in foreign country without me while I'm deployed.

I think sometimes in these immigration situations people tend to forget that these are life changing family events and some people are so focused on actually being married and being together that they forget that. I'm not going to marry someone who has not met my family that's just silly. I really hope we can at least be given a chance instead of really being at the mercy and whims of someone's preconceived opinion . . .

I think sometimes in these immigration situations people tend to forget that these are life changing family events and some people are so focused on actually being married and being together that they forget that. I'm not going to marry someone who has not met my family that's just silly. I really hope we can at least be given a chance instead of really being at the mercy and whims of someone's preconceived opinion . . .

Yes, you are right about marriage being a life changing family event and hopefully someone will give you a chance and not have a preconceived notion. But to the USCIS & NVC, when you marry someone outside of the United States of America and especially from a country that has a "high fraud" reputation, normal people like us will be at their mercy and your fiance's chances of being approved as a visitor and when there is an intent to marry & start immigration process is just about being zero.

Yes, in an ideal situation, I would have also liked to have done it the traditional and had my husband meet my family first in person too. (Thank goodness for Skype & Facetime) But the harsh reality, after doing research and knowing the track record of how the US government and immigration process for approvals on the different types of VISAs. That is why we felt the CR-1 would be our choice. We knew we wanted to be together and for us it was more between us than involving everyone else in the family. We wanted to be husband and wife most importantly because of his Muslim faith. Secondly, we want to be together and live together in the same household. So we felt the quickest and the more of sure way of being approved.

Before we started the VISA process, I thought for sure I being a US Citizen by birth, a law abiding & tax paying property owner, with definitely more than a qualifying income and a stable career, they HAD to approve me and fast too. I thought this whole immigration process was like applying for a passport. Boy was I wrong.

Well, we still had to do our time being separated and go through the almost year long (10 months) process (all three parts-USISC, NVC, & Consulate) but I am happy to say he is here with me now spent our first Christmas together with my parents too. And would I have wanted it this way?! No, but life is full of surprises. I would have loved to have had it the similar way you want it. I did get a lot of heat for not doing it the proper traditional way from my parents. But life goes on and it worked out at the end. My wedding in Morocco was perfect, beautiful and wonderful too. Good luck and I do hope the best outcome for you guys! smile.png

I'm very sorry, but getting a tourist visa from Morocco is probably 99% denial chance. People are also denied routinely even for K1 visas and CR1s through Casablanca; you should go read the "MENA" forum; "Middle East and North Africa" to see what you're up against. This is because Morocco is considered a high-risk country for fraud. Unfortunately, we have seen this through many of our own cases, which you can read about in the "Effects of immigration benefits and changes to family" or something like that forum.

You can try if you like for the tourist visa, but I strongly feel that it is a waste of money. I understand if you want to try all avenues though, and it won't affect his future immigration visa, so you really have nothing to lose except the fee.

When you do try for a marriage visa, make sure to read that forum I mentioned very carefully and follow the advice, especially in regards to relationship proof and what to do on the interview day.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Timeline

you shoukd do the k1 visa belive me the b2 will be a wast of money ..... i know that since ur in the military your processing time is alot faster than the rest of us.. good luck dear:)

Peace & Much Love

~ SouSou~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.