David & Diana R

BRINGING COUSINS TO USA-Very Difficult

9 posts in this topic

Here is my story.

I am a Filipina. Married USC in Philippines in September 2012. Applied for CR-1 visa Novermber 2012 and arrived in US in July 2013.

I was born in Mindanao 20 years ago. My mother died when I was 6 months old. My father died when I was 2 or 2 1/2. Before my father died he sent me and my 7 surviving siblings to family members throughout the Philippines.

I was raised by a cousin and her husband in Cebu. (I will refer to this cousin and her husband as mom and dad for the purposes of this explanation) As far as I know I was never legally adopted. After I arrived in Cebu as a small child my "mom" was blessed with three children of her own. I refer to them as my siblings while I know legally they are not. I suppose at best they are my second cousins.

My question is this. Is it possible for me and my husband to bring any of these three "siblings" and/or my "mom" and "dad" to join us in the US? I mean will it ever be possible? My "siblings" are ages 15, 17 and 18.

One more thought: Could my husband and I bring any of my true siblings to US? I mean the ones that were born by my true mom and dad?

Any info would be helpful.

God Bless

Zoila

Impossible for cousins. Bio siblings, when you are a USC, you can petition them, and it will take over 20 years. People who filed for siblings in 1990 in PI can now get visas. http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_6211.html

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Harpa is correct, assuming you were never legally adopted.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Here is my story.

I am a Filipina. Married USC in Philippines in September 2012. Applied for CR-1 visa Novermber 2012 and arrived in US in July 2013.

I was born in Mindanao 20 years ago. My mother died when I was 6 months old. My father died when I was 2 or 2 1/2. Before my father died he sent me and my 7 surviving siblings to family members throughout the Philippines.

I was raised by a cousin and her husband in Cebu. (I will refer to this cousin and her husband as mom and dad for the purposes of this explanation) As far as I know I was never legally adopted. After I arrived in Cebu as a small child my "mom" was blessed with three children of her own. I refer to them as my siblings while I know legally they are not. I suppose at best they are my second cousins.

My question is this. Is it possible for me and my husband to bring any of these three "siblings" and/or my "mom" and "dad" to join us in the US? I mean will it ever be possible? My "siblings" are ages 15, 17 and 18.

One more thought: Could my husband and I bring any of my true siblings to US? I mean the ones that were born by my true mom and dad?

Any info would be helpful.

God Bless

Zoila

Since you were never legally adopted by age 16, you cannot petition for your cousins.

Once you get your US citizenship (2015), then you can petition for your blood siblings. Only the ones you share a biological parent with. It will take 20 years. So the quickest for them is around 2035.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

All of the above assumes the proposed eliminiation of the sibling petition is not dropped from the immigration reform proposals

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

All of the above assumes the proposed eliminiation of the sibling petition is not dropped from the immigration reform proposals

No. It's presuming that US immigration laws will remain the same as it is.

You are the one assuming that immigration reform is a done deal. It's not even close.

You seem to be jumping the gun that immigration reform is imminent. It's not. The US House of Representatives have no intention of bringing up immigration reform anytime soon. The elimination of the F4 category is in a proposed legislation that will never pass with the Republicans. This proposal will never become law.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No. It's presuming that US immigration laws will remain the same as it is.

You are the one assuming that immigration reform is a done deal. It's not even close.

You seem to be jumping the gun that immigration reform is imminent. It's not. The US House of Representatives have no intention of bringing up immigration reform anytime soon. The elimination of the F4 category is in a proposed legislation that will never pass with the Republicans. This proposal will never become law.

Sibling, adult child modifications, DV lottery all make good sense and would be needed to free up visas for illegals which is what everyone seems to want.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Sibling, adult child modifications, DV lottery all make good sense and would be needed to free up visas for illegals which is what everyone seems to want.

Once again, you are assuming people want this.

Eliminating those categories is not "what everyone seems to want" when there are hundreds of thousands waiting in those categories for years with plenty of petitioners who want their siblings, nephews, nieces, adult children, grandchildren, etc. to immigrate to the US.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

As others have said... You cannot petition for cousins or "mom" as you were not legally adopted... Your blood siblings can be petitioned for (under current laws) once you gain citizenship... Wait for Philippines is 20 years for siblings...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.