throwaway123

Husband Admitted to Marijuana Use in Medical Exam ADVICE AND EXPERIENCES PLEASE!!!

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

So we just had our interview yesterday, and everything was great everyone was super nice, and they basically told us that we just needed to get his medical exam in and he would be given the visa.

However my husband admitted in his medical exam that he had in his life smoked marijuana before. Not thinking, just being honest. So then the dr made him take a drug test. He has smoked casually here or there a few times in the past few months, and we are worried that he will test positive. However he doesn't have a problem with drugs AT ALL:

What do you think will happen? What would you recommend? Should we risk opening the envlope to see if he passed or failed? Should we be honest with the embassy? We are moving to CO where marijuana is legal, you can get it delivered to your house like pizza. We are pretty nervous and not sure what to do. Could we ask the Dr. if she failed him or isn't recommending him the visa? Get another medical exam from another dr.? Please help! Thanks!

In my Experience during my interview they ask me if I used Marijuana . I answered I don't used it but I try some not much with my husband that was 1980's. My honest to goodness answers makes a big problem in my part. CO giving me a penalty of telling the truth.. CO charge me 14k that time, that was year we back 2005 and he give me some paper works to answers ( waiver). I really wanted to be in the arms of my fiancée. So what I do aside from paying the penalty i hired a lawyer that can help me explained and answer those questions that CO give it to me... Hope my story gives you and idea of what to do...

Good Luck...

Edited by peices60

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It used to be 3 year ban, now one year.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

It used to be 3 year ban, now one year.

Do they give a letter or document saying that she/he is banned for one year because of their marijuana use, and he/she will need to reapply after a year of remission? I haven't gotten a letter/document like that, nothing from the consulate.. and it has been four months now since my application.. I tested + for marijuana and my application is still under administrative processing (according to this website https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?) What might be the deal?

I am sorry to hear this. And I can understand how you feel. But to be upfront honest: WHY IN THE WORLD would someone use illegal substances, knowing not only to go in such a process like apllying for a visa and furthermore knowing that with todays technology drug abuse can be tracked back a looooong time?

I simply don't understand it. And it means nothing that weed is legal in some states. If its illegal on a federal level, just stick with the rules. There are only few reasons for a denial: lying in the infos you give, drug abuse, overstaying previous stays, some diseases.

Hope everything will turn out fine

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yeah if we went to another dr they would say have you smoked bla bla bla and he could just say no. Never in my whole life. Then they wouldn't have a reason to drug test him. That is the only reason they gave him a drug test in the medical exam because he admitted to having used the Mary Jane.

It's an unfortunate turn of events for you, and your other person was seriously dumb for even thinking about using it while you're applying for a visa.

Trying to find some way to game the system now will not work well for you though, and a misstep there could lead to a longer or permanent ban.

I'm sorry for your situation, be plenty mad at him, but don't make the situation worse for yourselves.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Some Consulates seem to have automatic drug tests, others are only as and when relevant.

All the cases I have seen the applicant has been told of the ban.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yeah but almost all of the cases I've read about here were fiancé visas. Do you think it makes a difference that we've already been married for almost 1 year?

Doesn't make a difference if it is fiance or spouse visa, illegal drugs are illegal, no matter your relationship. What do you think getting a lawyer will do? An attorney can't erase drugs from your husband's system. Why would you risk going to another doctor and lying, what happens if the doctor your husband has already seen decides to report his findings directly to the consulate? That would be a lifetime ban in stead of 1 year. You will not have to start the process from the beginning again they will put his case on hold. Your husband will have to submit monthly blood tests and after a year if he is clean they will issue his visa. Good luck.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i THOUGHT EVERYONE RECIEVED A DRUG TEST WEATHER YOU ADMIT TO DRUG USE OR NOT

In our country, there is no drug test required during the medical exam.

Applicants are only tested for the following:

MEDICAL EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS
  • Physical Examination - Required for all applicants, regardless of age
  • Tuberculin Skin Test - Required for applicants 2-14 years of age
  • Chest X-ray (CXR) - Required for all adult applicants aged 15 and above, or children who had exposure to TB Cases or history of TB disease
  • Syphilis Test - Required for applicants 15 years old and above
  • Pregnancy Test - For women of child-bearing age (15 to 40 years old)

If you admit to drug use, you will be required to undergo a psychological evaluation. The result of that evaluation is forwarded to the embassy.

You will be notified if you incur the 1 year ban or not on the day of your interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

God I feel so broken hearted. I guess there is a 95% chance at least that he will be denied. Where does honesty get you in this world? You honestly think that all the people they have given visas to have never done drugs?! Such a crock. He didn't even think about it. In Peru it's legal to some and have less than an ounce on you, they only prosecute if you're trying to sell it. He says his thought process was, I am an adult I am married what reason do I have to lie? All that money, all that time, and all that engery and hopefulness gone. cray5ol.gif

Do you think there is anyway we could possibly defend ourselfs? What about a lawyer?

You need to stop panicking until you know for sure. Just pray to God that he does not get denied rather than being worried.

You need to stop panicking until you know for sure. Just pray to God that he does not get denied rather than being worried.

This. I know how hard that is to do, though. Good luck!

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Thanks, lost_at_sea, for the answer..

I tested positive for marijuana at the medical (which was after my interview as I was sent to the panel physician because of a DUI that I got three years ago- other than that my interview went very well and the CO told me that I shouldn't worry about seeing the doc too much and that it is a standard procedure for applicants with DUI history- of course neither she nor I knew about what was coming) and the doc told me that I will retake the test in every three months.

I haven't heard anything from the consulate about where the my application stands as of today (it has been four months and I have already retested once after the initial one) and I can do check the status my application status online, which says that the application is "undergoing necessary administrative processing". So the application is not denied, I guess.. But I am still not sure if I have to file a new application (I cannot ask these questions to the doctor as I don't see him, I can only contact his assistant who schedules the urine test) or in what level the consulate had been informed by the doctor about my situation. Perhaps my application is undergoing administrative processing as the consulate still haven't heard from the doctor (which doesn't make much sense) or what?? It is crazy! I am just going crazy with all these.. And need to go back asap as my boss is going to fire me probably soon if I cannot go back before long..

Thanks..

That sucks I am sorry to hear that. What country do you live in? I am assuming this is what we're going to have to do. Who knows though his test might come back clean. This also sucks because I was thinking that we could go to another country to live but I suppose he has to get the drug testing done here, where we applied?! Thanks everyone. I cannot believe they're so strict. I didn't even think about drugs being such an issue. Cultrual subjectivity.

Edited by throwaway123

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

I am a law enforcement officer, and background investigations is one of the things we do. So i can not speak for the USCIS and their methods, but tendency is - 90% of US-born citizens have used some type of illegal substance in their lives (marijuana being most popular because of ease of access and affordability). Therefore i feel more suspicious when someone reports to me that they have never used any illegal drug and feel more convinced when someone says that they did use the drug once or twice in their lives. Most of the time drug use observed in teen- years, just like many other forms of delinquency, which eventually subside as the person reaches adulthood.

With that being said, to me and to many other law enforcement and personnel management agencies, single or even few instances of marijuana use early in life is not a big deal. It raises concerns and additional questions, but it is not necessarily a disqualifying factor, If, however, person admits a drug use later in life, such as after the age of 18, that means that the person is not socially responsible and is having an addiction problem and can potentially lead to other dangerous behaviors.

So depending on frequency of use and the type of test administered, the traces of cannabinoids can be detected in the system for up to 6-10 months. So lying about it will destroy his chances to gain US entry forever. Its better to be honest and face the consequences. Im not trying to preach about how bad drugs are, but if it wasnt for them we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Good luck to you and hope everything will go good for you two.

PARENTS IR-5 VISA TIMELINE
21 September 2015 - Both packets sent
24 September 2015 - NOA1 (E-Mail)
26 September 2015 - Check payment cleared
29 September 2015 - NOA1 (In mail)
25 February 2016 - RFE received
30 March 2016 - RFE response sent
23 May 2016 - NOA2 (Approved)
10 Jun 2016 - NVC Received

SPOUSE K-1 VISA TIMELINE
9 May 2013 - I-129 sent
17 May 2013 - Check payment cleared
18 May 2013 - NOA1 (E-Mail)
21 May 2013 - Touched (Alien Registration Number)
21 June 2013 - NOA 1 (In mail)
12 September 2013 - RFE request (E-Mail)
2 October 2013 - Sent the RFE
3 October 2013 - RFE Response Review
17 October 2013 - NOA2 Approved (E-Mail)
4 November 2013 - NOA2 (Hard Copy)
17 November 2013 - NVC sent the case to the consulate
22 November 2013 - Received by the embassy
5 December 2013 - Completed Medical and Paid Fees
14 December 2013 - Packet 4 received
17 December 2013 - Biometrics
26 December 2013 - Interview (Approved)
2 January 2014 - CEAC update to ISSUED
7 January 2014 - Visa in hand
8 February 2014 - POE JFK NYC
20 February 2014 - Married
31 March 2014 - AOS package sent
17 March 2015 - AOS package APPROVED
27 March 2015 - Green Card in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

90% of US-born citizens have used some type of illegal substance in their lives

Yikes. I'd like to see statistics on that. If this is true, this is unsettling to know wow.gif

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Well I should probably rephrase myself. Not illegal substance - controlled substance. Wrongfully used controlled substance, which may not be illegal, but illegal whiteout proper need or prescription. Marijuana being one of the most popular.

PARENTS IR-5 VISA TIMELINE
21 September 2015 - Both packets sent
24 September 2015 - NOA1 (E-Mail)
26 September 2015 - Check payment cleared
29 September 2015 - NOA1 (In mail)
25 February 2016 - RFE received
30 March 2016 - RFE response sent
23 May 2016 - NOA2 (Approved)
10 Jun 2016 - NVC Received

SPOUSE K-1 VISA TIMELINE
9 May 2013 - I-129 sent
17 May 2013 - Check payment cleared
18 May 2013 - NOA1 (E-Mail)
21 May 2013 - Touched (Alien Registration Number)
21 June 2013 - NOA 1 (In mail)
12 September 2013 - RFE request (E-Mail)
2 October 2013 - Sent the RFE
3 October 2013 - RFE Response Review
17 October 2013 - NOA2 Approved (E-Mail)
4 November 2013 - NOA2 (Hard Copy)
17 November 2013 - NVC sent the case to the consulate
22 November 2013 - Received by the embassy
5 December 2013 - Completed Medical and Paid Fees
14 December 2013 - Packet 4 received
17 December 2013 - Biometrics
26 December 2013 - Interview (Approved)
2 January 2014 - CEAC update to ISSUED
7 January 2014 - Visa in hand
8 February 2014 - POE JFK NYC
20 February 2014 - Married
31 March 2014 - AOS package sent
17 March 2015 - AOS package APPROVED
27 March 2015 - Green Card in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.