tammy85

I lied on my B2 application - will this hurt our K1 chances??

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone

I am from Australia and am currently visiting my fiance here in the US on a B2 tourist visa. When applying for the B2 visa, I told the embassy that the purpose of my trip was tourism, and did not disclose that the primary purpose of my trip was to visit my then boyfriend, now fiance.

At the time I did not consider this to be a risk, as I had no intention of overstaying my B2. However, after reading some of the posts on here, it sounds like what I have done may impact our chances of getting a K1 approved.

Has anyone dealt with this situation? If so, can you provide some info? Anything would be great - freaking out a little bit!!!

Thanks,

Tammy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You're seeing some sights, aren't you? Therefore, your answer was general yet truthful.

Important: Did the embassy ask you anything further? Even more important, did the CBP agent ask you anything further, at your port of entry? If so, what did you say?

Do you intend to overstay your B2 visa? (Correct answer: No, and I won't!)

Welcome to VisaJourney, by the way!

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Thanks for the swift reply TBone!

I cannot recall exactly what I have said to the CPB officer, but it was along the same lines, i.e. just here for tourism, no mention of fiance.

I definitely do not intend to overstay my B2 - that would surely put a black mark next to my name!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

hi guys,

I have a similar situation as Tammy, I have been refused a U S visa for the second time. under both circumstances I applied as a tourist with an invitation from my fiancée's stepmother and deny know any other person apart from her (step mother) during those previous interviews.

how can this affect my chances since am about going for my k1 visa interview in South Africa.

regards,

sly.

Hi everyone

I am from Australia and am currently visiting my fiance here in the US on a B2 tourist visa. When applying for the B2 visa, I told the embassy that the purpose of my trip was tourism, and did not disclose that the primary purpose of my trip was to visit my then boyfriend, now fiance.

At the time I did not consider this to be a risk, as I had no intention of overstaying my B2. However, after reading some of the posts on here, it sounds like what I have done may impact our chances of getting a K1 approved.

Has anyone dealt with this situation? If so, can you provide some info? Anything would be great - freaking out a little bit!!!

Thanks,

Tammy

I don't know what holds in the future but I read several posts here it definitely has some affect of a chance to get K-1 visa approval in some point.

I am trying not to scare you yet in the reality that was happened. Just search some posts here, and probably you'll find the answer of your question.

Again, just tell the truth when they asked you and don't forget keep posted to let us know. Good luck!good.gif

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Well, people do change their minds. The fact that you mentioned that you were visiting for tourism purposes will not deny you the chances of getting a k1 visa. Now that you are intending to get married, I advise that you contact the USCIS to advise you on how you can marry while you are still here in the US. Also on the USCIS website there are details on how a US citizen can marry a foreign citizen (who is already in the US and who is outside the US) and then apply for a green card. The form is I-130 and comes with separate instruction. I really advise that you look at it. You can also consider of getting married here and then apply for a family based visa if you decide to go back.

Sounds like all you need to do is apply for the K1 visa and then go back home before your B2 runs out or your I 94 and then just get on with the process.

Could you not have gone on VWP I think Australia is in it, or is there a reason you had to apply for a visa?

Hi everyone

Thanks,

Tammy

The posts you have been reading have been where people have neglected to select 'fiance/ee' when completing the B2 visa application form. Then evidence shows in their K1 application that they were actually engaged at the time of the B2 application and so lied on their B2 application form.

If you were genuinely only boyfriend and girlfriend at the time, that should be fine as there is no 'boyfriend/girlfriend' option on the form.

However, it does also depend on the discussion you had at the visa interview. Were you asked if you had anyone else you were visiting in the US? Did the CBP officer at POE ask you who you were visiting?

I assume you got a B2 visa as you wanted to visit for longer than the 90 days allowed on the VWP? That was a little chancy as, if you had been denied a B2 visa, you wouldn't have been able ti use the VWP!

actually i dont think any B2 results are going to have any affect on K1

as for me i tried to apply for B2 and got denied twice. as it was stated here there is no any boyfriend/girlfriend option in the aplication.

CO asked me the reason of my travel and i told her to visit a friend (now my fiance), she asked me how i met my friend though.

so i dont think i told her a lie

K1

16 August 2013 - I-129F sent to TSC

19 August 2013 - packet received

21 Augist 2013 - NOA1 received

16 September 2013 - Alien registration number changed

30 September 2013 - RFE

25 October 2013 - RFE reply

31 October 2013 - NOA2 received

22 November 2013 - packet shipped to NVC

29 November 2013 - NVC received

3 December 2013 - Packet left NVC

11 December 2013 - Physical packet received by Consulate
26 December 2013 - Interview APPROVED
31 December 2013 -Entry to US
------
AOS
27 February 2014 - Packet sent by FeDex
4 March 2014 - NOA1
28 March 2014 - Biometrics Captured
7 April 2015 - Approved, Card received
------
ROC I-751
21 February 2017 - I-751 Package mailed by USPS
24 February 2017 - Package Delivered
3 March 2017        - Money Order Cashed
6 March 2017       - NOA1 Received in mail dated 27 February
17 March 2017     - Biometrics appointment letter received, appont. 31 March
27 March 2018     - RFE
26 May  2018       - Approval
29 May 2018        - Card arrived in Mail
------
N-400
12 March 2019     - Filed Online
12 March 2019     - NOA1
5 April 2019         - Biometrics Appointment 

actually i dont think any B2 results are going to have any affect on K1

as for me i tried to apply for B2 and got denied twice. as it was stated here there is no any boyfriend/girlfriend option in the aplication.

CO asked me the reason of my travel and i told her to visit a friend (now my fiance), she asked me how i met my friend though.

so i dont think i told her a lie

A Denial of a tourist visa will not affect future visas, as long as you told the truth. If you lie, then you open up another can of worms and those lies can haunt you forever or even make you inadmissible to the US.

I saw a case on here where the person lied on her B2 application and then tried for a fiance visa and the consulate said the relationship was fake. Their reason? there was an extremely short courtship because at the time of her B2 they were "just friends." It painted a picture that it was friends helping friends out.

Lying is never a good idea.

OP: Why can't you use the WVP?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I got the B2 to enable me to stay for 6 months, as opposed to the 90 days allowed by the VWP.

Right now I am hoping that during the embassy interview, I can say something like "while I had a boyfriend at the time, I was not sure that I would be visiting with him for the majority of time I was in the US. I was waiting to see how things went, and did genuinely intend on doing a lot of tourist activities, so that's why I put tourism on my B2 app etc etc"

Does this sound reasonable??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I got the B2 to enable me to stay for 6 months, as opposed to the 90 days allowed by the VWP.

Right now I am hoping that during the embassy interview, I can say something like "while I had a boyfriend at the time, I was not sure that I would be visiting with him for the majority of time I was in the US. I was waiting to see how things went, and did genuinely intend on doing a lot of tourist activities, so that's why I put tourism on my B2 app etc etc"

it sounds reasonable that you shouldn't get yourself in any deeper by lying further. The fact that you are using the b2 to live in the US with your fiance isn't a good thing, it is a tourist visa, plain and simple

The key question you need to ask yourself is: were you fiancee/fiance at the time of your application to a B2? Your original post reads: "purpose of my trip was to visit my then boyfriend, now fiance."; thus, it follows that you became engaged either while in the US of after application for visa. If that is correct, then your application was ok.

Now, what was asked at entry? Does anyone specifically asked about visiting a boyfriend/fiance? If not or if there was a question and your reply was boyfriend/fiance, I would think you are still ok.

hi guys,

I have a similar situation as Tammy, I have been refused a U S visa for the second time. under both circumstances I applied as a tourist with an invitation from my fiancée's stepmother and deny know any other person apart from her (step mother) during those previous interviews.

how can this affect my chances since am about going for my k1 visa interview in South Africa.

regards,

sly.

Sly,

You should maybe post a new topic, but since you haven't been to the USA and you are applying for a K1 have you both met in the last two years?

Unfortunately, I don't really remember the specific details of the conversations I have had with US officials.

I just know that when asked about the purpose of my trip I responded with general statements about tourism. I did not bring up my girlfriend, and they did not ask.

So I guess I didn't lie, I just didn't tell the whole truth...

Thanks again everyone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.