d3adc0d3

K1 immigrant Rights (Out of Status)

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

This is probably an awkward question, but I'll give you all a little background so you understand why I'm asking.

I was at a fair for the 4th of July, and while I was there I was harassed and assaulted by a small group of (very drunk) young men. I am okay, I got away with a nasty bruise on my leg and my temper at it's worst. One of those "men" didn't come out NEARLY as good -- do not piss of an irish-american woman, it's not good for your health!

My soon to be husband asked me if a similar situation was to occur what would happen? Would he be able to protect me, or would he get deported if he got in a fight?

Basically we want to know what his rights are while he's "out of status" but entered on his K1 -- as it can take a while for the AoS to go through the process. Sadly this is not the first time this has happened to me - I'm a very small framed woman, and drunk men seem to think I'm an easy target, so this is a real concern.

Edited by d3adc0d3

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Well when your husband is with you hopefully people will be less likely to bother you.

But assault is a crime, so no one should go around punching people. If he were in real immediate danger he could protect you, just like anyone.

Can't you just walk away?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

I was grabbed and they tried to drag me off, I kicked him, broke free and found a cop who was patrolling the fair about 10 yards away, I told him what happened and he kicked them out and the state will likely press charges. I'm from another state (I was visiting family) so I didn't bother as I don't want to drive 6+ hours for a court date.

I had one man about 6 months ago shove me into a wall pin me there and try to shove his hand up my shirt.

We're not talking about someone tried to grab my #### and him turning around and mauling them. We're talking about a similar situation where I am unable to get away, so he would most definitely be protecting me -- not assaulting someone based on an insult.

Edited by d3adc0d3

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if your husband was carrying one or two touch tasers and 30 inch zip ties then stopped an attacker using the taser and tied him up with the zip ties,

in most states he'd be ok - that's not considered assault.

plan ahead, aye?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Oh lawd. I doubt we'd be prepared for it every time we go out. xD

C'mon be realistic...

I'm not asking because I think it WILL happen -- I rarely have issues when there's a man with me, but I would like to know so we know how to handle the situation if it DOES arise.

Useful Links:

His rights are the same, though his crimes can get him deported or prevent him from becoming a citizen. While his AOS is pending he is not out of status.

Don't you get a creeper vibe and leave well before someone strangles you?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Oh lawd. I doubt we'd be prepared for it every time we go out. xD

C'mon be realistic...

I'm not asking because I think it WILL happen -- I rarely have issues when there's a man with me, but I would like to know so we know how to handle the situation if it DOES arise.

all that stuff can be kept in a fanny pack and slung over the shoulder - easy peasy.

if'n you don't want to use a fanny pack - i note zip ties fit easily through belt loops, and (mostly) stay in place..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

if your husband was carrying one or two touch tasers and 30 inch zip ties then stopped an attacker using the taser and tied him up with the zip ties,

in most states he'd be ok - that's not considered assault.

plan ahead, aye?

It's not considered assault if he hits solely for the purpose of self defence and to defend his fiancé would be considered self defence. That's a basic human right and duty as an empathic person to defend yourself and protect the vulnerable. He would have the same rights as an American citizen because the same law applies to anyone in the United States.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

This is probably an awkward question, but I'll give you all a little background so you understand why I'm asking.

I was at a fair for the 4th of July, and while I was there I was harassed and assaulted by a small group of (very drunk) young men. I am okay, I got away with a nasty bruise on my leg and my temper at it's worst. One of those "men" didn't come out NEARLY as good -- do not piss of an irish-american woman, it's not good for your health!

My soon to be husband asked me if a similar situation was to occur what would happen? Would he be able to protect me, or would he get deported if he got in a fight?

Basically we want to know what his rights are while he's "out of status" but entered on his K1 -- as it can take a while for the AoS to go through the process. Sadly this is not the first time this has happened to me - I'm a very small framed woman, and drunk men seem to think I'm an easy target, so this is a real concern.

You need to be more concerned with avoiding being alone in situations where you have the chance of being raped. Having more than one attack in recent time happen to you, which could have led to rape, is a cause for concern and you owe it to your fiancé to avoid dangerous situations like that. A woman of any height and strength should never be going home from pubs etc. alone because these things will happen. You need to be careful because the next time you might not be as fortunate. As regards your fiance, he would be perfectly in his right to defend himself and protect you just like any American because this goes beyond civic rights, it's a human right to protect and defend.

Timeline

You need to be more concerned with avoiding being alone in situations where you have the chance of being raped. Having more than one attack in recent time happen to you, which could have led to rape, is a cause for concern and you owe it to your fiancé to avoid dangerous situations like that. A woman of any height and strength should never be going home from pubs etc. alone because these things will happen. You need to be careful because the next time you might not be as fortunate. As regards your fiance, he would be perfectly in his right to defend himself and protect you just like any American because this goes beyond civic rights, it's a human right to protect and defend.

Thank you for actually answering my questions.

I was not at a pub alone (I wouldn't go to one anyways, I don't even drink). I was at a county fair with my mother, her boyfriend, and my children to see the fireworks for the fourth -- this is a family event. I was returning from a walk from the ATM machine and a vendor, on my way to the seating area where my family was. I did not stop and talk or socialize with anyone, I was not dressed provocatively, and I was minding my own business. The incident from 6 months or so ago I was at a concert, again not socializing with anyone, not dressed provocative (unless jeans and a band shirt count as "provocative") -- and I had a friend with me.

Disclaimer: This is not directed at you (loughrey101), or anyone who posted in this thread at all. This is just me ranting at the concept in and of itself.

I find it absurd that I should "consider myself lucky" that I "didn't get raped". Since when can a woman not go out alone without a threat of being raped or assaulted? Since when was it that anyone's responsibility to make sure s/he had someone with him/her to ensure s/he is safe? Since when is it a person's fault that s/he gets assaulted? Am I the only one here who finds this entirely disgusting and degrading? Shouldn't it be a basic human right to go out and enjoy yourself without being harassed, assaulted or raped, regardless of your gender? This abusive mentality that people seem to have just disturbs me. I'm far from a feminist, but dear lord hearing this thought pattern from men and women alike just shocks and disturbs me.

Edited by d3adc0d3

Useful Links:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think your fiance should try to avoid all possible conflicts if possible, because it will look has if he is a troublemaker to an Immigration Officer/Judge /police Officer if he was to defend you all the time, and has for you i would personally get myself a pepper spray or teaser for my own protection.

you have the right to protect yourself if you feel you are in danger, just try to remember your fiance is still not in the green so try to be cognizant of that fact and don't let him jeopardize both your future for people who don't have any worries.

A.O.S from B1/B2

12/30/2012- got married

05/06/2013- File I-130,I-485,I-693, I-765, I-134,I-131

05/10/2013- NOA1 text

05/13/2013- NOA1 hardcopy

05/15/2013- RFE

05/23/2013- Sent RFE request

05/29/2013- Update case RFE review

05/30/2013- Call and request Expedite process

06/07/2013- Expedite approved

06/27/2013- Call for walk-in Interview and Bio metrics

07/02/2013- Update card/doc production for I-485

07/03/2013- Update post decision activity for I-130 and Update Decision for I-485

07/08/2013- Update card/doc production for I-485

07/09/2013- Email Green Card mailedkicking.gif

07/15/2013- Green Card in hand

dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gif

If you are in danger, you do what you have to do. Know how to articulate for the police, should they arrive. I once locked up some drunk guy who decided to grab a woman's butt, her husband laid him out on the ground really nicely. Do you think that I paid any attention to his complaint that he husband knocked him to the ground?

Edited by fantonledzepp

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.