cristi1231

Just starting I-129f - Questions for assembling

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

I've been reading several posts for the last 2 weeks and I'm finally getting serious and filling out the application. I just created my account here to seek advice on questions I was not able to get answers to. So the following are questions that I have accumulated so far:

1. I cannot fit my fiance's Peruvian address in the fields they have provided.

- I've read both things, to make it fit in the first space but NOT confuse the USCIS and use the apartment and zip code spaces to make it fit, or to attach it on a separate sheet of paper (signed and dated?) and say "see attached" in the field.

- But I also read not to staple anything because it will get arranged as they please, so should I include it in the table of contents that that paper is inserted in the application?

2. On that note, I read I should keep the story of how we met short enough to fit in the field they provided instead of attached a sheet of our story?

3. Birth certificates. For some reason I can't determine the certificate number for this. I know everyone's birth certificate's are different. I found "Birth Number" on mine. Would that be it?

- Also would I need a scan of my fiance's and translated?

4. For the passport style pictures, will I need originals from my fiance or can he scan them to me and I print and cut them? Wouldn't that change the size they want if it prints wrong? I want to know because my mother will be traveling to Peru soon and I could potentially get the actual photos from him with her return.

5. Proof of seeing him in the past 2 years, should that be separate from proof of ongoing relationship? I read on the site (http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide#proof) That you only need a few things for the proof of visit in the past 2 years, and additional items can be used for the ongoing proof.

- Can I insert additional photos in the ongoing proof section but inserted into a word document, not actual photographs?

6. Translation - If I include our conversations (face time screen shots with date stamps, e-mails, scanned christmas card, etc.) should I get them translated? Would it hurt if I did? If anything is translated, must the person who translated be certified and sign something?

7. Proof of relationship in general

- I've been reading about front loading vs. the minimal items needed for the application. I really want to front load and be as detailed as possible. Is this a bad idea? I even have a screen shot of the conversation of when my fiance sent a picture of the ring he bought for me to my best friend for her to see. Another idea was including my parent's itinary flight to Peru back in March when they met him for the first time (I have pictures of that too). I thought of this because I sent gifts with them and they brought back gifts from him. I read that gift receipts are good to scan, and even thought there was no paper receipt to prove this exchange, my parents are the proof.

This last part has got me so nervous! I don't want to give too little proof but I don't want to give too much if they frown upon that. I'm reading some people have had great experiences with giving just enough, but others say the more the better...

Thank you for taking the time to look at these questions! Any other advice would be so helpful

FIANCE (K1) VISA
[2013-06-15] ENGAGED
[2013-08-02] I-129F Petition Mailed

[2014-01-30] Interview Date - APPROVE

CITIZENSHIP 

Lost track of everything but he became a citizen in Tampa, FL on January 23, 2020!

Now on a Journey to bring his mother from Peru 

gonzamayi_visajourney.jpg.a51facde424a27c41921e585c9db7ee3.jpg

Filed: IR-5 Country: Peru
Timeline

Another question that may be odd:

My fiance tried getting a tourist visa twice, once in January then once in February of this year and got denied because of the lack of evidence that he would return to Peru. I'm not sure if that will hinder us, but it is obvious that the USCIS will see that correct? The reason he tried for it was to visit me and get to know me. That is why I then decided I should go to him and when he proposed. So it plays apart in our relationship but I'm not sure if it would be wise to include his rejections in the proof packet as a sign that he attempted to see me? Plus they are going to see that in his records anyways.

Thanks!

FIANCE (K1) VISA
[2013-06-15] ENGAGED
[2013-08-02] I-129F Petition Mailed

[2014-01-30] Interview Date - APPROVE

CITIZENSHIP 

Lost track of everything but he became a citizen in Tampa, FL on January 23, 2020!

Now on a Journey to bring his mother from Peru 

gonzamayi_visajourney.jpg.a51facde424a27c41921e585c9db7ee3.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I'll try to help where I can.

2) If you can give the whole story and make it fit go for it. Ours was a few extra lines and we attached it.

3) If you are referring to question 10 and you were born in the US. Put N/A in the box, the certificate number is only for naturalization certificate.

4) Get the actual picture or have him send a picture against a white background and there are websites that will allow you to size it and you can print it at a drugstore and cut them out. Or get him to take them there, and have your mom to bring them back.

5) Yes, its separate. (sorta). I answered that question with all the times we met and then had a section in the back with all my boarding passes, train tickets, passport stamp copied into word and then pictures in a bag.

As for the denied visa, no need for the 129F, you will have to fill out more forms for the embassy after you are approved and they will ask you that.

Hope that helps some

Edited by A&P_Germany

Petition Mailed: 11/02/2012

NOA1: 11/07/2012

NOA2: 05/09/2013

NOA2 Hard Copy: 05/14/2013

NVC Receive: 05/15/2013

NVC Left: 05/17/2013

Consulate Received: 05/22/2013 per DHL

Consulate Received: 06/07/2013 per DOS

Packet 3 Received: 06/13/2013

Packet 3 Sent: 06/14/2013

Medical Complete: 06/17/2013

Packet 3 RFE Email: 06/18/2013 (Passport picture background too dark :/ come on!)

Packet 3 RFE Response: 06/22/2013 (Replacement passport pictures)

Interview Date: 07/23/2013: Approved

Visa Received: 07/27/2013

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Answers:

• First of all, you are filing a petition, not an application.
  • Second of all, when "attaching" a separate sheet of paper, you do so using a paperclip. So use supplemental sheets as needed and paperclip them to your forms.
  • The beneficiary's birth certificate is not need at this stage.
  • Passport style pictures only need to meet the dimensions; if you are able to print them from a scan while keeping the dimensions intact, then you can do so
  • Proof of meeting in the last two years can be separate or can be part of your ongoing relationship; it's your preference on whether or not you want to separate it
  • You do not need to translate evidence such as chat transcripts, Christmas cards, letters, etc.
  • IMO, if you want to frontload your file, go ahead and do so, it will not be frowned upon. Only you can decide what you feel presents the most compelling case.
  • A previous rejection of a tourist visa in of itself will not hinder your process; it does not need to be included in your file but must be disclosed if it is specifically asked about.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

- I've been reading about front loading vs. the minimal items needed for the application. I really want to front load and be as detailed as possible. Is this a bad idea? I even have a screen shot of the conversation of when my fiance sent a picture of the ring he bought for me to my best friend for her to see. Another idea was including my parent's itinary flight to Peru back in March when they met him for the first time (I have pictures of that too). I thought of this because I sent gifts with them and they brought back gifts from him. I read that gift receipts are good to scan, and even thought there was no paper receipt to prove this exchange, my parents are the proof.

This last part has got me so nervous! I don't want to give too little proof but I don't want to give too much if they frown upon that. I'm reading some people have had great experiences with giving just enough, but others say the more the better...

Hi Cristi,

7. I think minimal items is not a good idea. If I'm not wrong the only thing you need to show with that I129F is having met your fiancé in the past 2 years. Each document should be relevant and easy to understand in a first look. That screen shot is a good idea. Pictures of you two is better.

You will need (I mean he will) them for proof of on ongoing relationship at the U.S Embassy during the itw.

You can add 1 or 2 proofs of ongoing relationship just in case but try to make it fit "Proof of having met in the last 2 years".

Pictures of your parents and him are good. State place, date and who is on this picture.

Do you have any letters with stamps?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Look under " guides" header. There you will find out instructions. Birth certificates, divorce certificates, etc need to be translated. On Translation, the person making translation must put statement that they are familiar with both languages and translated to the best of their ability , knowledge and belief. On letter of intent benificary must include statement " I plan on marrying ______ with in 90 days of arriving in USA as per K1 guidelines. Passport Pictures - they must meet certain requirements set forth by USCIS, if not - they will be rejected. Everything must be filled out correctly! every little box marked, etc.. It is a lot of detail, but you can do it! ask for help and others here will give you advice. Make sure to provide adequate proof of meeting in last 2 years, passport stamps, plane tickets, taxi receipts, etc. Anything that requires a signature has to be original, not scanned and printed.

Edited by batallion9

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

My fiance tried getting a tourist visa twice, once in January then once in February of this year and got denied because of the lack of evidence that he would return to Peru. I'm not sure if that will hinder us, but it is obvious that the USCIS will see that correct? The reason he tried for it was to visit me and get to know me. That is why I then decided I should go to him and when he proposed. So it plays apart in our relationship but I'm not sure if it would be wise to include his rejections in the proof packet as a sign that he attempted to see me? Plus they are going to see that in his records anyways.

Thanks!

Hi! What a coincidence to find another Peru-DC area couple!

It looks like others have answered some of the more basic questions but having done a lot of research about the Lima embassy's preferences and spoken to various VJ couples who have gone through the interview already I figured I'd throw my two cents in.

As for the chat transcripts... if you're sending them to USCIS they need to be translated. It's not really necessary to send them though since they fall under proof of relationship. Do bring them to the interview at the embassy. Evidence that's brought to the embassy does not need to be translated from spanish to english.

In the I-129F packet, front load as much as you can! When you arrive to the interview the CO will already have an idea as to the "validity" of your relationship from what he sees in that packet. If you only send proof of having met in the past 2 years, the petition will be approved by USCIS but you'll have more work convincing to do when you get to the embassy. Put as much as you can in the initial packet. My fiance and I sent copies of my itineraries from each trip I made to Peru to see him as well as passport stamp scans. Plus lots of boarding passes/bus tickets from places we've traveled together along with pictures through out our relationship. We sent scans of post cards we'd sent to each other, pro-flowers receipts. My theory is to include as much as you can from the beginning, it can only help.

The tourist visa denial won't hurt his chances of getting this visa, however I wouldn't flaunt it as a proof of relationship. I see where you say it's proof that he tried to meet you but I think it's best to leave it out of the I-129F. When you go to fill out papers for the interview you will need to state that he's been rejected, but it shouldn't be an issue. Most people I've talked to say that in their interview at the embassy in Lima it wasn't even brought up.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! Our interview is next month and I'm flying down to Peru to attend with my fiance, so I'll be sure to let you guys know how it went!

Hello Everyone!

I've been reading several posts for the last 2 weeks and I'm finally getting serious and filling out the application. I just created my account here to seek advice on questions I was not able to get answers to. So the following are questions that I have accumulated so far:

- I've read both things, to make it fit in the first space but NOT confuse the USCIS and use the apartment and zip code spaces to make it fit, or to attach it on a separate sheet of paper (signed and dated?) and say "see attached" in the field.

- But I also read not to staple anything because it will get arranged as they please, so should I include it in the table of contents that that paper is inserted in the application?

2. On that note, I read I should keep the story of how we met short enough to fit in the field they provided instead of attached a sheet of our story?

3. Birth certificates. For some reason I can't determine the certificate number for this. I know everyone's birth certificate's are different. I found "Birth Number" on mine. Would that be it?

4. For the passport style pictures, will I need originals from my fiance or can he scan them to me and I print and cut them? Wouldn't that change the size they want if it prints wrong? I want to know because my mother will be traveling to Peru soon and I could potentially get the actual photos from him with her return.

5. Proof of seeing him in the past 2 years, should that be separate from proof of ongoing relationship? I read on the site (http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide#proof) That you only need a few things for the proof of visit in the past 2 years, and additional items can be used for the ongoing proof.

- Can I insert additional photos in the ongoing proof section but inserted into a word document, not actual photographs?

6. Translation - If I include our conversations (face time screen shots with date stamps, e-mails, scanned christmas card, etc.) should I get them translated? Would it hurt if I did? If anything is translated, must the person who translated be certified and sign something?

Thank you for taking the time to look at these questions! Any other advice would be so helpful

1. Peruvian addresses tend to be long, but note that there is a zip code, just not called that way, it would be the LIMA-xx (xx being a number) part (or could also be CALLAO-x). Assuming living in Lima/Callao. If there is an 'Urbanizacion' part, drop it, it would be like including your subdivision name in your address.

2. Short. You don't need to give much mor details that when/how. For example, "met in Lima on mm/dd/yyyy during my trip to Peru with the purpose of meeting him in person". All they want to know is that you met him in person in past 2 years

3. Not all birth certificates have numbers.

Fiancee, no need to translate; scan will do.

4. It is possible to print (photo) in a Walgreens, but you would need to have some basic hands on of a image manipulation software to get it the right size. I wouldn't scan unless is a real good quality scan, but instead just get the actual file. Unless time is critical; then might be best to get actual pics when your folks travel.

5. Yes. Separate. Pics are ok, but is best to have boarding passes, itineraries, hotel registrations matching those pics (pics are secondary proof). As before, you are not required to write a novel. In your petition, you will have a letter of intent to marry, which each of you must have signed. I've read of people getting the pics in a Word doc and printing, sometimes the quality is not so good. Actual pics might be best, 3-5 is more than sufficient.

6. Not sure that you might need to include them translated, a sample would be enough spread over time, that is some document per every month or two.

7. Frontloading never hurts, but I would think not needed at this Embassy. I would refer to the Peru specific forum and ask details to the people with recent information. On the other hand, it also requires care from your part to present a balanced picture and not just throw in every paper under the sun. Other reason to be careful is that some couples use pet names and is not uncommon to call each other 'wife'/'husband', which could be done in an e-mail, post card...Yes, it's just being nice and cute with each other but that is a no-no if you are petitioning for a K-1.

You mikght want to make some plans on visiting while petition is in process, that does show on-going relationship more than what you can add in the original petition.

On your other post about visa being denied; it has no effect in this petition. If a question would ever come up, the simple answer that he was wanting to visit you is enough. However, you then want to have a line in the how we met that indicates when you first got connected and a relationship came up, so it can then be shown that his attempt for a visa was after initial contact and in an effort to meet in person.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks!

No affect. He applied and got denied. Nothing wrong was done.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

Yes - to attach it on a separate sheet of paper (signed and dated?) and say "see attached" in the field.

Correct, no staplte. Paper clips and binder clips only.

No it's a statement on when and where you met, just once, in the last two years. Not about your relationship.

Sounds about right. Follow the Example Forms

Required only at the interview and yes translated 9also required for marriage license and AOS).

Originals only.

Yes.......and yes the evidence of proof of meeting in persion also is proof of the relationship.

Yes anything not in English must be translated unless your Embasy specifically states otherwise. You yourself can translate them, yiou just need to include and sign a statement.

OUr proof of our meeting in person was also used as part of our proof of a relationship.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.