mehdekau

Green card application for spouse sponsored by...an unemployed prospective grad student

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have a huge dilemma that just suddenly came up. My boyfriend of 2 years who is here in the U.S. on a work visa was recently released from his position by the sponsors of his work visa. We have previously discussed the options we would have if this problem ever came up, and marriage was almost always at the top of our "solutions" list. We haven't finalized anything yet, but I've been researching the requirements to file a petition for a green card for a spouse. The only problem that I feel is holding me back from being able to properly go through with the process is the I-864 Form which requires the sponsor (me) to have an income of at least 125% of the poverty level in my area. Currently I am unemployed and am applying to graduate schools, so my income is essentially 0. Having my parents jointly sponsoring my boyfriend is not on the list of possiblities because they don't approve of this relationship. However, my boyfriend has been working in the U.S. for at least 4 years now and has enough savings for at least a few months (enough time to find a new job), if not more. What are the chances that my application to get him a green card would be denied? If more information is required, I'll be happy be to provide it if it helps with answering my questions. Thank you!

-Fran

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

It is my understanding that since he is not currently working he has no income. The savings can be used but they must be 3X (I think) the poverty guidelines for your household size. So this would be about $60.000. Potential future employment is not considered. Although if he can legally obtain another job his income could then be used for the I-864.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you are unable to meet the I-864 requirements, either by yourself or with a cosponsor, then there is zero chance the GC application would be approved.

If he gets another job, I believe as your spouse his income can be considered because he is working in a legal position in the US (so the income will continue). So if he finds another job, I would file a couple of months afterwards, using him as a co-sponsor. That might work.

That is his only choice for a marriage based GC unless you plan on getting a job to support him so you can file for the GC.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

does he qualify to file the I-864W ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You need a Joint Sponsor. The case will be denied because you and your fiance's income is zero.

Your income is zero. Your fiance's income is zero since he is unemployed. Your total income is zero. You need a Joint Sponsor.

Timeline

Thank you all for your responses! I really do appreciate it. First off, I don't think he is eligible for the I-864W Form. Also, I am currently looking for a full time job as my applications are for entry to graduate school next year. If I in fact do land a job, would this increase the chances of approval? (Assuming yearly income would be around 30k.) Also, a friend is eligible to be a joint sponsor? Thanks again for everyone's help.

Edited by mehdekau

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i suggest you review the I-864W again.. 4 years of his work counts for something - you really should have a look at the instructions and make a dry-run on the computations.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you all for your responses! I really do appreciate it. First off, I don't think he is eligible for the I-864W Form. Also, I am currently looking for a full time job as my applications are for entry to graduate school next year. If I in fact do land a job, would this increase the chances of approval? (Assuming yearly income would be around 30k.) Also, a friend is eligible to be a joint sponsor? Thanks again for everyone's help.

Anyone can be a joint sponsor. Neighbour, boss etc. as long as they're either an LPR or USC and uses their US income.

And yes, if you got a job (instead of using a joint sponsor) you would be fine. you only need to earn $19K a year (for a 2 person household size). You would want to be working for a couple of months before filing though to show it's stable income with a few paystubs.

I should mention, approval is based on your relationship. Assuming you had all the requirements met (sponsorship etc) then your relationship would be the part that determines whether he's approved or not.

Timeline

Thanks again for the responses. We would not mind delaying anything if it increases the likelihood of them accepting the application for his GC. If it will take a few months of work first, then we will wait it out and plan everything else out carefully. Once again, thank you to everyone for your help.

Timeline

i suggest you review the I-864W again.. 4 years of his work counts for something - you really should have a look at the instructions and make a dry-run on the computations.

I reviewed the instructions for the i-864W...It states that you are required to have worked (earned) 40 quarters of coverage under SSA, which would require a bare minimum of 10 years of work all year round. However, I'm not sure whether there is some sort of loophole where earning 40 quarters of coverage in less than 4 years would suffice.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I reviewed the instructions for the i-864W...It states that you are required to have worked (earned) 40 quarters of coverage under SSA, which would require a bare minimum of 10 years of work all year round. However, I'm not sure whether there is some sort of loophole where earning 40 quarters of coverage in less than 4 years would suffice.

There's no loophole. He doesn't qualify for the I-864w.

You will need either a job paying at least $19,000 or a Joint Sponsor. This is an absolute requirement. There's no way around it.

You could defer your graduate entry for a year while you get a job temporarily and then as soon as he gets the green card, he'll be able to work to support you through school.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.