edchels

State Benefits for new father.

66 posts in this topic

Seriously - touch base with yer CPA again, get the scoop from her.

Federal and State programs are different, and yer CPA can explain all to you.

Yeah, I'm going to collect my tax returns from her at some point, so will see if she can help me out more.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I really think , that if the monies paid to you by the state of California for 'this stuff' are already received from you via taxation on your payroll, then it's not a means tested benefit.

That's a plus, as you'll be qualifying based on what you've paid in already, not your citizenship status.

Go Get Em !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I really think , that if the monies paid to you by the state of California for 'this stuff' are already received from you via taxation on your payroll, then it's not a means tested benefit.

That's a plus, as you'll be qualifying based on what you've paid in already, not your citizenship status.

Go Get Em !

Very good point. Thank You.

Timeline

ya, but it's just an uneducated opinion (mine), for now.

Only you can suss out what's what.

I hope you do that, soonish.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

That is a program run by the State of California which you may qualify for irrespective of your immigration status. FMLA is a federal law which provide for unpaid leave, but affects the entire nation. You may very well be able to take advantage of both programs.

Good to know. I would just hate to receive any kind of benefit, only to have the state tell me to pay them all back because I'm still sponsored under the affidavit.

Working on it... And not that this has to do with anything, but I'm working 7 days a week 8-12 hours a day. Don't have much time for anything else right now.

I'm thinking an immigration lawyer would be the only person who would truly know the rules about what's available to me and what's not.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Good to know. I would just hate to receive any kind of benefit, only to have the state tell me to pay them all back because I'm still sponsored under the affidavit.

The important thing is that the California benefit is paid for by the disability insurance premiums taken out of your paycheck.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Timeline
I'm thinking an immigration lawyer would be the only person who would truly know the rules about what's available to me and what's not.

Or a county or state website.

Just saying.

Or a county or state website.

Just saying.

Yeah, I have scoured the Internet, that's why I ended up here. There's a lot of info about benefits for new fathers, but nothing about new fathers who are green card holders.(unless I have seriously missed something).

Edited by edchels

Yeah, I have scoured the Internet, that's why I ended up here. There's a lot of info about benefits for new fathers, but nothing about new fathers who are green card holders.(unless I have seriously missed something).

Check the FAQ on the Paid Family Leave website. Question 11 in particular says:

11. I am not a U.S. citizen - can I still apply for PFL?

You are eligible for PFL benefits if you pay into the SDI program and meet all other eligibility requirements. You do not have to be a U.S. Citizen to be eligible.

All you need to determine is if you are otherwise eligible -- your status is not at issue. Call the EDD and ask them if you qualify: 1-877-238-4373. They will know more than any of us doofuses on VJ.

Edited by the maven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Check the FAQ on the Paid Family Leave website. Question 11 in particular says:

All you need to determine is if you are otherwise eligible -- your status is not at issue. Call the EDD and ask them if you qualify: 1-877-238-4373. They will know more than any of us doofuses on VJ.

Wow, how did I miss that?. Thank You!!!

I managed to get an answer from edd.ca.gov

As long as I have been paying into CA-SDI and have a SS#, I'm good to go! They really don't care about affidavits of support.

So, to all those doubters saying "You'll get nothing"... here's some good news for ya. :thumbs:

and thanks to all those with helpful advice, much appreciated. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I managed to get an answer from edd.ca.gov

As long as I have been paying into CA-SDI and have a SS#, I'm good to go! They really don't care about affidavits of support.

So, to all those doubters saying "You'll get nothing"... here's some good news for ya. :thumbs:

and thanks to all those with helpful advice, much appreciated. :thumbs:

THEY don't care about it, sure. They'll still give you benefits and then turn around and sue your wife to pay it back...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

CA SDI is an insurance so he is good. You pay a percentage of your check each week to cover you if you are unable to work. I was unaware that they considered new fathers disabled ( unless new mom gets ahold of sensitive parts during the throws of labor ) Check carefull how long you will be considered disabled.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

CA SDI is an insurance so he is good. You pay a percentage of your check each week to cover you if you are unable to work. I was unaware that they considered new fathers disabled ( unless new mom gets ahold of sensitive parts during the throws of labor ) Check carefull how long you will be considered disabled.

I don't see how a wife having a baby makes someone disabled. Disability insurance is for people who are actually disabled. That is the kind of benefits abuse and entitlement that is really bringing down England.

/signed a British citizen who will never live in that country

I'm sorry, but the whole thing just makes me sick. My husband knows that in Denmark, men get 6 months of paternity leave and in American, they get none. I just can't ever see him trying to milk the system like this. People should get paid only when they work and should collect disability when they are truly disabled. :angry: :angry:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.