244 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Alas, it may be hidden. Many times, An 'Arabic Market' is hidden by 'Mediteranean (sp?) Market' . USUALLY, the meat there is Halal, and the label is less scary for folk who don't know about the change up in Label (yer google search terms, la -- change a bit?)

You can find some close by yer area, but call, use a telephone, inquire if they sell halal meat or no.

Thanks Darnell , good idea. We have several mediterranean places around, I'll check with them.

I live in Vermont, about a mile and 1/2 from the service center :) There are not a lot of moslem people in our area. I have googled for markets and nothing comes up. For the people who said it is sold in the grocery stores sometimes, what am I looking for on the labeling? I see one Vermont farmer who lets moslems come and slaughter their own meat, but I'm not thinking we need to go to that extreme lol!

I don;t know how close you are to Burlington but thier website says they carry meat. Try calling first to see if they have what you need.

Community Halal Store LLC

128 North st suit 4 Burlington VT 05401

Burlington, VT 05408-1230 map

Phone:

(802) 865-1165

You can get it at my normal grocery store, at least some things (frozen usually). It says Halal on it. You will have to start keeping an eye out for things. You could also get it shipped to you - some places send raw meat overnight with dry ice in the package to prevent spoilage.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I live n New Hampshire, there are many here too

We are practically neighbors.

We live in MA but we have a vacation home in Maine and are there most weekends.

My sister lives in Newton NH.

:D

Timeline

In all honesty, you won't have a problem finding halal meat in New Hampshire. You just have to start looking around for it. But to my knowledge, there isn't a national brand like there is for kosher products. No Empire Kosher type halal stuff.

I did a simple google search and found this:

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Portsmouth-NH/Taj-Halal-LLC-Dba-Taj-Mahal-Grocery-L2241009489.htm

Timeline

You can find halal meet in the Community Halal Store- 128 North st suit 4 Burlington( close to the Lake).It's 25 miles from your town.

Thanks! Burlington is actually about 6 miles from where I live, you might have done your search from St. Albans , but the service center which handles a lot of the petitions is in Essex Vermont where I live. I will definitely check this store out!

My husband was asking if its easy for me to find halal meat (when he finally arrives here!) Can anyone give me some ideas where I can find it, do they sell it in the grocery stores, are their some brands that are halal? For example Perdue? I hope this isn't going to be something that's difficult to find , I would like to make him as comfortable as possible.

check out zabihah.com. it should give you the information you need.

good luck.

Filed: Timeline

Do you ever see Amish chicken in your grocery stores, its Halal. When my husband arrived here, the first few months he was dead on eating only halal meats, until after friday prayer one day he spoke with the Imam about the food here. The Imam told him to say Besmehallh before he eats and all will be okay. No pork of course.

Now my husband reads every label on the back of every piece of food that goes into out shopping cart, if he dosent know what it is. There are a ton of sweets that have gelatin in them. It dosent specify if its vegetable or pork, so he never eats anything with gelatin in it. Once he was going to try rice krispie marshmallows treats but luckily I stopped him quickly, as we all know marshmallows have pork gelatin in them. My ex husband is a food scientist and creats all our vanilla flavors for us as Hubby still dosent like the fact it has alcohol in it, though its very little, but whatever, I dont have to buy it anyway. So make sure you are aware of the foods pertaining gelatin. Look for Kosher products if all else fails until you both get use to shopping together. Heck, now I find myself freaking reading labels, drives me crazy.

Edited by foreverwaiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

My husband was asking if its easy for me to find halal meat (when he finally arrives here!) Can anyone give me some ideas where I can find it, do they sell it in the grocery stores, are their some brands that are halal? For example Perdue? I hope this isn't going to be something that's difficult to find , I would like to make him as comfortable as possible.

I have been investigating this same thing. I live in rural NC so the closest halal butchers are at least 3 hrs from my home. There are options such as home delivery or stockpiling when you shop and then freezing it. Perdue in NOT halal. Halal is the merciful form of slaughter and it is rare to find it easily. Maybe in Large urban areas or cosmopolitan areas you will have a few more choices. Living rural we can hunt some of our own meat, but also all seafood is halal and it is healthy. Good luck and if you find out in your search something to help the rest of us please share. Edited by sarsorti

May God bless and keep you always~ May your wishes all come true~ May you always do for others~ And let others do for you~

May you build a ladder to the stars~ And climb on every rung~May you stay forever young

Bob Dylan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.