244 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Do you ever see Amish chicken in your grocery stores, its Halal. When my husband arrived here, the first few months he was dead on eating only halal meats, until after friday prayer one day he spoke with the Imam about the food here. The Imam told him to say Besmehallh before he eats and all will be okay. No pork of course.

Now my husband reads every label on the back of every piece of food that goes into out shopping cart, if he dosent know what it is. There are a ton of sweets that have gelatin in them. It dosent specify if its vegetable or pork, so he never eats anything with gelatin in it. Once he was going to try rice krispie marshmallows treats but luckily I stopped him quickly, as we all know marshmallows have pork gelatin in them. My ex husband is a food scientist and creats all our vanilla flavors for us as Hubby still dosent like the fact it has alcohol in it, though its very little, but whatever, I dont have to buy it anyway. So make sure you are aware of the foods pertaining gelatin. Look for Kosher products if all else fails until you both get use to shopping together. Heck, now I find myself freaking reading labels, drives me crazy.

No way will mine eat any label, nor kosher, and of course one should always say bismillah before eating and hamdolillah when finished. Gelatin does contain pork and pork and alcohol are forbidden.

May God bless and keep you always~ May your wishes all come true~ May you always do for others~ And let others do for you~

May you build a ladder to the stars~ And climb on every rung~May you stay forever young

Bob Dylan

Filed: Timeline
1363051638[/url]' post='6039265']

No way will mine eat any label, nor kosher, and of course one should always say bismillah before eating and hamdolillah when finished. Gelatin does contain pork and pork and alcohol are forbidden.

Not all gelatin is made of pork, there are many products that contain beef gelatin, etc. If you read my posts correctly, I said my husband will NOT eat any food product that contains gelatin, as it DOSE NOT specify what kind of gelatin it is geeez, I think, I made it very clear in my topic.

Oh glad to hear your man dosent eat labels as you said abovelaughing.gif

Edited by foreverwaiting

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Do you ever see Amish chicken in your grocery stores, its Halal. When my husband arrived here, the first few months he was dead on eating only halal meats, until after friday prayer one day he spoke with the Imam about the food here. The Imam told him to say Besmehallh before he eats and all will be okay. No pork of course.

Wow. My husband was in shock when he read this. He knows of no Imam that would recommend this to replace being halal. I don't mean to get off topic here, but I just want to make sure people should research this statement and decide for themselves if this is correct for them as some Muslims and Imams believe this is still a major no. If interested, Google and the reasons for and against the idea for a clear picture.

:ot2:

Edited by MedRoni

There are many, many Muslims for whom kosher meat is not a valid option. Individuals will vary on this.

There are several brands/farms of Amish raised zabiha slaughtered chickens, but not all "Amish" chicken is zabiha slaughtered.

Costco has oftentimes very good halal lamb, Kirkland brand. A good amount of lamb imported from Australia and New Zealand are zabiha slaughtered. At least at the Costco stores around my area it is anyways.

I have heard from a friend in California that she found halal chicken at her Costco, but I've never been so lucky :-/

I know some people order frozen halal meat products by mail, but I've never done so, so I don't know if it's convenient and affordable or not.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

1363052473[/url]' post='6039291']

Wow. My husband was in shock when he read this. He knows of no Imam that would recommend this. I don't mean to get off topic here, but I just want to make sure people should research this statement and decide for themselves if this is correct for them as some Muslims and Imams believe this is still a major no. If interested, Google and the reasons for and against the idea for a clear picture.

:ot2:

The Imam said,

Its a persoal thing, each person has his own reason. So, I just asked my husband ...his reasoning is this. A verse in the Koran:

Sura 5. Al Maida 5.4 and 5.5

So I guess it is a personal choice.

1363053617[/url]' post='6039323']

Gelatin can come from fish too, and doesn't taste at all like fish. I've made homemade marshmallows with it before :)

homemade marshmallows from fish that a new one, i will have to look that up. I found some marshmallows at the halal market and tried to make rice krispies treats but it really didnt turn out very well for what ever reason and they didnt melt well with butter. Maybe fish gelantin will be my next experiment.

You might, once a year. Check with your Husband, see if he wants/needs to do that.

My husband has a couple times, gone halvsies on a lamb with a friend. Never for Eid though, we just go to the shop we usually buy from. They take care of the charitable contribution part there too.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I live in Vermont, about a mile and 1/2 from the service center :) There are not a lot of moslem people in our area. I have googled for markets and nothing comes up. For the people who said it is sold in the grocery stores sometimes, what am I looking for on the labeling? I see one Vermont farmer who lets moslems come and slaughter their own meat, but I'm not thinking we need to go to that extreme lol!

Where I live, there are international markets that sell it. Maybe Google international markets in your area. Good luck! :)

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

The Imam said,

Its a persoal thing, each person has his own reason. So, I just asked my husband ...his reasoning is this. A verse in the Koran:

Sura 5. Al Maida 5.4 and 5.5

So I guess it is a personal choice.

That was my point I guess. I just wanted to make sure people are aware this is the way you interpret the Surah in the Qur'an. It may be confusing to newer Muslims.

I appreciate the reference, and it sparked a nice long discussion on why my husband believes what he does as well. Differences are what make us all wonderfully unique! :)

1363055215[/url]' post='6039359']

That was my point I guess. I just wanted to make sure people are aware this is the way you interpret the Surah in the Qur'an. It may be confusing to newer Muslims.

I appreciate the reference, and it sparked a nice long discussion on why my husband believes what he does as well. Differences are what make us all wonderfully unique! :)

laughing.gif haaa, i like to start those nice long conversations too lol. Though, I tend to wait until we both go to bed and he is exhausted, then I will say, honey, can you explain to me your thoughts on this subject, which usually is about Islam. Of course, I cant shut up and keep asking the why and why not questions, as if he hasnt already tried to explain it to me a hundred times before.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Most muslim people now own farms here in US. Your husband can go and halal the goat/lamb and even chickens himself :) This is what we do sometimes too. We also buy from muslim groceries store. There are lots of muslim groceries stores/farms in Virginia & Maryland area.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Our Costco and Sam's Club here in northern California also sells the halal lamb from Australia. We buy it and make some of it ground and freeze it to make kabobs or meatballs.

Whole Foods market here also sells halal lamb from australia.

We're fortunate that we also have about 4 middle eastern markets in our area so we can always find anything halal we need. Although sometimes if we run out of halal meat at home, we will buy chicken from the regular grocery store.

San Francisco is about 1 hour away from us and there's plenty of halal markets there as well.

01-04-09 - Married in Egyptian Embassy - Qatar - honeymoon in Egypt (Ahmed's home country)

05-04-09 - I-130 Sent

12-13-09 - INTERVIEW PASSED (Qatar)....Spent 12 weeks in AP

03-03-10 - VISA IN HAND :)

03-06-10 - AHMED COMES HOME :)

03-12-10 - SS# card received

03-19-10 - GC received

05-15-10 - First job

06-01-11 - Better job!

03-2012 - Started our business

Removal of Conditions/10 yr GC

02-15-12 - Sent I-175 ROC

07-17-12 - approved!....card production ordered!!!!

07-21-12 - 10 yr card arrived in mail :)

03-2013 - Apply for Naturalization

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.