JoeCanuk

Anyone else feel this way?

37 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure what forum to put this in but it has to do with after becoming a citizen. I've been a US citizen since last year and I'm a Canadian citizen too. Therein lies the problem. Sometimes I am proud to be a citizen of two great countries. Other times I still feel like I don't belong here and that I'm not even Canadian anymore. :(

Anyone else struggle with these feelings? Thanks.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Not alone at all. I'm not even a USC yet but I already cop a bit of flack for "turning American". My dad didn't have the best opinion of "Yanks" (as many don't when they're his age) so even finding out I was engaged to a "yank" was fun. My sister's a bit of a snob about me living here (jealously? maybe...) and other people have their opinions about what American's are like and that's that.

My thoughts tend to center around how I felt my last visit home. I wasn't entirely a "proper" Aussie anymore, that much was pointed out to me, and neither here, with my accent, am I an American (trust me, I get asked on the phone every day where I'm from and my colleague laughs when I say "Iowa" :P).

That said, you (and hopefully me eventually) are one of the lucky ones. If you want to move back to Canada, you can. if you want to stay here in the US you can. You don't have to be "American" and you don't have to be "Canadian". You are both and that means a combination.. so you're right, you're a Canadian American, not just one or the other. You have quirks from both sides of the border that meld to become who you are.

Not alone at all. I'm not even a USC yet but I already cop a bit of flack for "turning American". My dad didn't have the best opinion of "Yanks" (as many don't when they're his age) so even finding out I was engaged to a "yank" was fun. My sister's a bit of a snob about me living here (jealously? maybe...) and other people have their opinions about what American's are like and that's that.

My thoughts tend to center around how I felt my last visit home. I wasn't entirely a "proper" Aussie anymore, that much was pointed out to me, and neither here, with my accent, am I an American (trust me, I get asked on the phone every day where I'm from and my colleague laughs when I say "Iowa" :P).

That said, you (and hopefully me eventually) are one of the lucky ones. If you want to move back to Canada, you can. if you want to stay here in the US you can. You don't have to be "American" and you don't have to be "Canadian". You are both and that means a combination.. so you're right, you're a Canadian American, not just one or the other. You have quirks from both sides of the border that meld to become who you are.

Thank you for your kind words. Yeah my family picks on me too. Even my brother in law gives me flak about being a yank and so is his dad! lol Think I'm just feeling a bit homesick for my old country I guess. Even looking into doing graduate school back in my hometown.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

08/18 Married

12/22 AP arrives in mail

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

Awwww guys,

The entire process of falling in love with a citizen of another country then moving to that country is more complicated that I bet any of us ever thought it would be way back in the beginning.

Personally Im thinking of getting a dual citizenship(can I even do that?) I am soooooo rubbish at this,anyway what my husband and I have always loved about each other is that we love our own countries so much.........and each others so if I can have both then YAY!!!!

I think homesickness will play a huge part in how you're feeling. I'd imagine its hard to be transplanted into a totally new environment. I'm worried about that too.....its natural you begin to think about where you've felt safe and familiar in the past.

I love the idea that you're Canadian/American Australian/American how cool is that to have influences from another culture and country!!!

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

Awwww guys,

The entire process of falling in love with a citizen of another country then moving to that country is more complicated that I bet any of us ever thought it would be way back in the beginning.

Personally Im thinking of getting a dual citizenship(can I even do that?) I am soooooo rubbish at this,anyway what my husband and I have always loved about each other is that we love our own countries so much.........and each others so if I can have both then YAY!!!!

I think homesickness will play a huge part in how you're feeling. I'd imagine its hard to be transplanted into a totally new environment. I'm worried about that too.....its natural you begin to think about where you've felt safe and familiar in the past.

I love the idea that you're Canadian/American Australian/American how cool is that to have influences from another culture and country!!!

Thanks. Yeah I think you can become a dual citizen coming from Britain. I didn't realize that it would be hard sometimes but I've found it out. Just gotta keep livin' I guess.

08/18 Married

12/22 AP arrives in mail

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

.... (trust me, I get asked on the phone every day where I'm from and my colleague laughs when I say "Iowa" :P).

I don't think they are laughing in ridicule. They just think you are adorably fascinating and entertaining with that accent. Americans love British an Aussie accents.

This topic reminds me of a conversation my husband and I had this week. He was asking about something on the DVR. I said i saved it for him because it was really interesting and all about his Queen. He said, "I don't have a Queen. I have a President." I think he has totally embraced America. It doesn't mean he likes the guns, or terrible drivers, but feels like it's home. . He probably doesn't have as wonderful friends and family like you guys do, because he doesn't get homesick at all. I think he just landed in a new family and place and job that thinks he is bloody amazing, so it's way more appealing than his previous boring life. My grown kids hug him, say 'Love You', and take him out on Father's Day. Yeah, way more attention than from the Brits. So if you miss home, you probably have awesome people there and that's a blessing.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I don't think they are laughing in ridicule. They just think you are adorably fascinating and entertaining with that accent. Americans love British an Aussie accents.

This topic reminds me of a conversation my husband and I had this week. He was asking about something on the DVR. I said i saved it for him because it was really interesting and all about his Queen. He said, "I don't have a Queen. I have a President." I think he has totally embraced America. It doesn't mean he likes the guns, or terrible drivers, but feels like it's home. . He probably doesn't have as wonderful friends and family like you guys do, because he doesn't get homesick at all. I think he just landed in a new family and place and job that thinks he is bloody amazing, so it's way more appealing than his previous boring life. My grown kids hug him, say 'Love You', and take him out on Father's Day. Yeah, way more attention than from the Brits. So if you miss home, you probably have awesome people there and that's a blessing.

Oh no I didn't mean to imply in a mean way! She laughs because she will often hear me say "Australia" on the phone, followed by "I married an American" etc etc :P One of the days I had someone quite rudely interrupt their friend who was talking and ask me where I was from, I said smiled and said "Iowa" followed by an explanation. I didn't realise my colleague had heard me till I went past her desk and she was laughing so hard she was crying. From then on when anyone asks her where I'm from she says "Iowa, but her accent is Australian".

Personally Im thinking of getting a dual citizenship(can I even do that?)

Yep you can!

By the time I (hopefully) get USC I'll be a Scottish Australian American :) I am Scottish by descent so I'm more "Aussie" but I still identify myself as Scottish. A lot of my mannerism, language and behaviour come from my Scottish fathers influence. I am very lucky :)

I'm not even a USC yet but I already cop a bit of flack for "turning American".

and other people have their opinions about what American's are like and that's that.

I'm in the same boat, and I haven't even left Australia yet! My step-dad is the USC and we've gone back there for visits for Christmas & stuff since I was 11. I've always felt like America was my second home, and I've always considered myself Australian American. But in saying that, I've actually had several arguments with 'friends' over moving to the US. All the usual arguments, "Americans are rude", "you'll get shot", "you'll be poor" etc.

For a long, long time now I haven't felt very Australian, can't stand many Aussie things.. I don't think I ever actually felt like this is where I belong. But I definitely think the US is more suited for me. But no one understands my wanting to move there, so it's frustrating.

The only Aussie part of me is my Aussie cattle dog who will be coming along as well! Can't wait to move!

Step-child of a USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
He said, "I don't have a Queen. I have a President."
Nothing like going from "ruling the waves" to becoming a mere Colonist, no man. :lol:

OP, you could have it worse, si man. You could be married to an immigrant who, immediately after becoming a naturalized citizen, began exhibiting traits of a (stereotypical) born Americana of the type that I forswore on (no fooling) 1 April 2006 before I began looking internationally. After just a little of this, I think to myself, "You spent thousands of bucks and 5.5 years for what you could have gotten immediately if you'd stayed on the same fruitless dating path?" Sigh, man.

Of course, upon her receiving her naturalization certificate, I did serenade her in mangled Spanish, si man:

(to the tune of La Cucaracha (The Cockroach)

Ciudada-NA, ciudada-NA (si man si man),

Puede joder esposo;

Ciudada-NA, ciudada-NA (si man si man),

Americana siempre.

Translation:

Female citizen, female citizen (si man si man),

Is able to nag her husband;

Female citizen, female citizen (si man si man),

A female American always.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Oh no I didn't mean to imply in a mean way! She laughs because she will often hear me say "Australia" on the phone, followed by "I married an American" etc etc :P One of the days I had someone quite rudely interrupt their friend who was talking and ask me where I was from, I said smiled and said "Iowa" followed by an explanation. I didn't realise my colleague had heard me till I went past her desk and she was laughing so hard she was crying. From then on when anyone asks her where I'm from she says "Iowa, but her accent is Australian".

Yep you can!

By the time I (hopefully) get USC I'll be a Scottish Australian American :) I am Scottish by descent so I'm more "Aussie" but I still identify myself as Scottish. A lot of my mannerism, language and behaviour come from my Scottish fathers influence. I am very lucky :)

Wohoo, big up to us Scots! I think I actually feel more patriotic towards Scotland when I'm in America......maybe that's just cos I'm stubborn lol

The main thing that worries me is finding a job where people will understand me! I've been told I have a strong accent but I try to slow it down when I'm stateside to save myself repeating myself over and over!

Timeline

Wohoo, big up to us Scots! I think I actually feel more patriotic towards Scotland when I'm in America......maybe that's just cos I'm stubborn lol

The main thing that worries me is finding a job where people will understand me! I've been told I have a strong accent but I try to slow it down when I'm stateside to save myself repeating myself over and over!

Yep to slowing down! I had to REALLY slow down my speech. When I get excited I speed back up again and I think people laugh when I do only because they have no idea what I'm saying :P

This thought has run through my head ever since I decided to move to the USA. I debate always if I actually want US citizenship, even though I know it'll make life easier. I'm am proudly Canadian. 8th generation. That said our family is originally from Scotland on both sides, plus I had an English great-grandmother and a french grandmother on the other side. I'm a war internally. No wonder I'm so volatile and relate well to red hair! LOL ;)

But still. I worry that becoming a US citizen will somehow make me less Canadian... I guess I should learn to embrace the fact that it will make me more, not less. blush.gif

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I have been a dual citizenship holder for many years now. Even though I was born in Greece to a Greek family, I grew up in Australia. Lived there from the age of 7 till 19. And for the passed 12 years I have been living in Greece. My Australian accent still holds true, thank god! lol!!

And when the time comes for me to apply for a US citizenship, I will do that too. My dad once told me, embrace the land you call home like its your own. But keep your heritage alive in your family and in your heart.

So I believe that becoming a US citizen, wont take away from my Greek heritage or from the Aussie land that raised me, but it will honor my husband's heritage and the land that will raise my children.

I think I will just end up calling myself a Greek-born Australian American! :D

CR1 Visa

USCIS
08/13/2013 -- I130 Sent
08/14/2013 -- I130 NOA1 (email)

02/20/2014 -- I130 NOA2 (189 days - email)

NVC

02-28-2014 -- NVC received
04-03-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

05-22-2014 -- Case completed!!!!!!!
05-30-2014 -- Interview scheduled for July 16th 2014 08:30am

05-31-2014 -- Interview Letter received
Embassy
06-24-2014 -- Medical

07-16-2014 -- Interview Approved!!!!!
07-21-2014 -- Visa in hand
09-24-2014 -- POE

ROC
09-09-2016 -- I-751 sent
09-17-2016 -- NOA received

10-14-2016 -- Biometric appointment

08-07-2017 -- New card ordered
08-10-2017 -- New card mailed ( still no approval letter)

My dad once told me, embrace the land you call home like its your own. But keep your heritage alive in your family and in your heart.

That is such a wonderful saying, and exactly what I needed to read right now. Thank you for passing on your dad's wisdom :)

See my timeline for my expedited I-130 application due to military pcs

n-400

Expedited naturalization (under s 319(b) INA) due to military pcs

n-400 sent: 2013-02-02

NOA1: 2013-02-15

Biometrics date rec: 2013-02-15

Biometrics date: 2013-03-07 (EB walk in 2013-02-20)

Second biometrics: 2013-03-19 (First set unclassifiable)

Inline for interview: 2013-03-21

Testing/interview date: 2013-03-27

Oath ceremony: 2013-03-27

Moving to Germany! 2013-04-13

I'm A United States Citizen

• 1 month later...

Clearly I'm a bit late to the party, but I was looking around for a thread like this one. I just had my three year anniversary of living in the US, and I will be applying for citizenship in October. I used to be extremely homesick for New Zealand before I went there for a visit, and it was definitely a wake-up call. Nothing and nobody had really changed, but it was pretty apparent that I had, I even had my mum tell me that America has "hardened me", whatever that means.

Anyway, I don't really relate to friends and family back home anymore, which is a shame, but it's almost like they think I'm a traitor! I have a special few that I'm close with who I know would be very supportive if I moved back, but for the most part it would be like moving to a new country again. I love living in the US now, but it doesn't feel like that long ago I had no job, no car, no friends. We have a mortgage now and I've made some amazing friends through local theater and karaoke, but there is still that feeling that I don't really belong here, because I just can't seem to grasp the American mentality of making a big deal of everything, living to work instead of working to live, and the weird concept of everything needing to be better than it already is (how will they ever be happy?!).

I don't want to move back to NZ for fear of reverse culture shock, but I also don't want to stay in the US forever. So I'm a New Zealand American who doesn't really fit in anywhere. I want to establish my own town in the middle of nowhere and inhabit it with heaps of hybrids like myself :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.