mjrussell

Immigration path for minor sister-in-law

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I suspect that my situation will be similar to this question from a few weeks ago, but I wanted to put it out here to see.

My wife got her green card a little over a year ago. She's 33, and has a younger sister who's 12. Their father passed away a couple of years ago, and their mother is not capable of giving her the support she needs. There's another sister who's been helping out since my wife came to the US, but that situation isn't working out well.

So we've discussed the possibility of taking custody of the little sister, and their mother is on board with this. But first, I want to understand the process of getting her to the US. From a little reading, it looks like we would have to have custody for two years. Even meeting that, it sounds like it would be a fight, since there's still family there who could care for her. Does this pretty much sum up what we'd be looking at?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not really.

She would first have to naturalise and then file for her sister.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't think adoption is an option because the child is not an orphan.

Your wife has to naturalize first before she can file a petition for her sister.

The sister will be under the F4 category (Brothers and Sisters of Adult US citizens). Waiting time is 12 YEARS for the sister.

Current PD being processed for F4 (under the column All Charge-ability Areas Except Those Listed) is 15 APRIL 2001. http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5856.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It would take a very long time to get the sister here.

Have you considered looking into a good boarding school in her home country?

Another option would be an F1 student visa to allow her to go to school here while she lives with you, but that won't last forever and has no path to a greencard, plus is pricey (she would not get free schooling from the state).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I suspect that my situation will be similar to this question from a few weeks ago, but I wanted to put it out here to see.

My wife got her green card a little over a year ago. She's 33, and has a younger sister who's 12. Their father passed away a couple of years ago, and their mother is not capable of giving her the support she needs. There's another sister who's been helping out since my wife came to the US, but that situation isn't working out well.

So we've discussed the possibility of taking custody of the little sister, and their mother is on board with this. But first, I want to understand the process of getting her to the US. From a little reading, it looks like we would have to have custody for two years. Even meeting that, it sounds like it would be a fight, since there's still family there who could care for her. Does this pretty much sum up what we'd be looking at?

Thanks!

The child has a mother. Why is mother "not capable of giving her the support she needs?"

The only way to "take custody" is to legally adopt. This requires your wife to go home and live with her adopted daughter for 2 years. This is the only way to bring her adopted daughter to the US.

For a student visa, the child would have to be enrolled in private school. She will not be given a student visa to attend public school for free. For private school, you will need to show you can cover the cost of tuition and room and board which could be $20,000 per year.

To be frank, there is very little you can do to bring this child to the US. Your best hope for this child is to send money or whatever other support is needed to help her and mom. The chances of you getting an immigration visa for the child is probably zero because there is no current way to petition for the sister and all other paths require living abroad or a ton of money.

Timeline

There is a route to an immigrant visa, just a long one.

Unless the rules change, which is very possible.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have a similar situation and I just file to Remove my Conditions. So I expect to get my 10-yr GC next year, then I will file N-400. Probably take another 6 months. Then I will file I-130 for my father which should take another 6 months and then he will go through the Consular processing for his GC. After that my father will petition my sister who will be under F2B (my sister is over 21)

I think this should be the fastest way to go. Any thoughts? Thank you.

10/2001: arrived as a F1 student (college) in NC
01/2003: met my now-husband at school
08/2004: moved to Louisiana to continue study

AOS: I-130 and I-485
06/2010: got married in NC

01/2011: interview and approved

ROC: I-751
01/14/2013: Package Sent

06/12/2013: got approved!!!

06/14/2013: card and letter arrived!!!

Exactly 5 months!!! No Interview. No RFE.

Strongest Evidence? My 8-year relationship and 3-year marriage to my husband.

If it does not show commitment, then I don't know what does...

Naturalization: N-400

06/16/2014: Package Sent

06/23/2014: Check Cashed

06/27/2014: Received NOA1 (Letter dated 06/20)

07/07/2014: Walk-in Bio (Appt date 07/18)

07/09/2014: In-Line for Interview

08/07/2014: Received Yellow Letter (dated 08/02)

09/06/2014: Received Interview Letter

10/09/2014: Interview Date

10/21/2014: Oath Ceremony

I am officially an American Citizen.

---

Petition: I-130 for Mother and I-130 for Sister

---

Petition: I-130 Mother for Daughter

Timeline

Your Father wants to emigrate to the US and is OK leaving your Sister?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think sending money for a GOOD boarding school that is 'International Baccalaurete(sp? ) ' rated will be the best thing you can do, instead of anything else you have in mind.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Your Father wants to emigrate to the US and is OK leaving your Sister?

My sister is 21 now and she is here on F1 student visa.

---

---

Timeline

Does he intend to carry her studying until a visa number is available?

Timeline

Does he intend to carry her studying until a visa number is available?

Yes. My sister entered the U.S in 2008/2009 (she was 16/17 at the time) and attended high school here. She is in college now and will be 21 in February.

---

---

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.