JayNarl

Horrible marriage interview part 2

46 posts in this topic

My wife and I went to our marriage based AOS interview on the 4th of September 2012. All my paperwork met the requirements and beyond to satisfy the elements needed to prove a legal and good faith marriage. The officer called my wife around 12:30pm. Our appointment was originally set for 11 am. We approached and she asked “Who are you?” there was a clear and evident raise of tone and attitude and we immediately felt something was wrong. She then told us “Get in the first office please.” Then she said, “Who is *****.” She screamed again a few times, “Who is *****? Why are you lying?” These questions were shot at my wife before she could even answer. My wife then said “Are you talking about Laura ****?” She looked again and said, “How do you know Laura *****, who’s John ****, Where did you meet him my name? my name are you lying? Why are you lying? Where are your kids at?” My wife didn’t even get a chance to answer any question before officer

screamed, “Why are you lying myname? Answer the question!”

I saw my wife start to cry. This crushed me in side. I love my wife so much. To see her fall apart like this broke me. Myname is black and I’m a white male. A lot of people out there still just don’t like a white man with a black woman. I was surprised to find this happening at the USCIS. I told Officer, “That’s Laura’s maiden name and John and her are obviously married.” She then glared quickly to myname and said, “myname where did you meet her? I’m going to ask you again!” She never even asked my wife that question. I sat there and watched her say something completely different, then belittle my wife as my wife became hysterical with tears. Then Officer continued saying, “Why aren’t your children with you myname? Where are they?” My wife was so traumatized. I was about to ask for the interview to stop because Officer was attacking my wife. This was when Officer pushed two pictures in front of her; my wife was in such shock from Officer inappropriate actions and conduct, which were clearly unethical and malicious in all nature, that she couldn’t answer who her kids were. I answered for my wife saying that is her sons, name called.

I was so afraid if I stood up for my wife that the officer would become even more malicious. This is when the officer started to yell at me. “I asked her!!!” she said as she pointed to myname, “You be quiet!!!!!”

Then she looked at me sarcastically as she looked through my income, What are you doing married to her and why do you have her son here when you can’t even take care of yourself with your disability?

Aren’t you 29? Why do your parents own your home?” I felt embarrassed as this lady discriminated me for being disabled. My wife and I just need some time to adjust. I am a certified paralegal and I also have a bachelors in Bio chemistry. I am just getting out of school. My wife who you all know as Jaynarl is a published author of 2 books on endangered animals in the Caribbean.

This lady was trying to say we have no right being married because we didn't have a big bank account?? What did it matter if my parents owned our home? They own a realty company and they also own my brother and sister homes.

She pointed a finger at a picture of my wife that she held up. “Who is this?” Officer kept repeating over and over again, to intimidate her. My wife said nothing. I was so confused myself as Officer just told me seconds before that she’s not asking me questions and to keep my mouth closed. After she discriminated against me, she was trying to tell my wife that a woman in the picture she was holding was not her and actually a photo of one of her former friends, as if my wife didn’t know what she looked like. They are both black. Officer then continued saying over and over again why is she wearing a wedding ring in the picture? My wife tried to answer, but her voice was so weak. She tried to tell her that she was the one wearing the rings in the picture and not her friend. Her friend who was previously getting married was not in that particular picture but the one before.

I answered and told Officer, “If her friends are wearing or not wearing rings this has nothing to do with our marriage.” Our marriage is a normal legitimate marriage we have plenty enough pictures all ranging from different seasons to different places we went and with different members of our family and friends. I grabbed my wife hands. I needed to let her know that I was there and I was at her side. This was not how we should be treated. I was feeling fear and I felt like crying and I constantly told myself (in my head, in the interview) that I cannot live without my wife in my life. This lady was clearly discriminating against my wife for her race and me for my disability. Officer did not want us to be together.

Then out of all my paperwork she grabs two pictures with another white male and black female couple, which wasn’t even us, but rather our friends. The lawyer suggested that in the future whenever someone has an interview and it becomes like ours that the Us citizen spouse immediately stop the interview and ask to call his or her lawyer. Do not leave the office without asking to speak to the district officer to file a complaint. Just some useful advice. Now we have to wait for a new interview. I guess they would probably visit our home, or jobs. This we would welcome.Its just so heart wrecking that when you have a legitimate marriage you have to face this #######.

My lawyer says this is not a normal interview. This officer has no right to discriminate against anyone. Discrimination is not a tactic used by the USCIS. You should never be judged or discriminated by anyone in public office. This law makes it illegal to discriminate against someone on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, disability or sex

This is just a summary of the interview. My wife was called a bad mother because her kids were in Trinidad. When I explained that we have her son here living with us, and that we are adjusting his status she went on to say why one son? Why do your parents have to take care of her and her son? The entire interview was demeaning and no one should be this.

This was our first interview and we were granted a second interview thanks to the director. We walked in thinking we were being given a second interview completely new and not a Stokes. But we were immediately separated and given a Stokes. I would post a copy of our Stokes interview for you to read.

Application Filed: 14 May 2012

USCIS Received Date 15 May 2012

Checks Cashed On: 17 May 2012

Biometrics Notice 24 May 2012

Biometrics Date: 31 May 2012

RFE Received?: yes

RFE Received Date: 02 Jun 2012

Reason Joint sponsor documents Bc or Passport or Naturalization certificate

RFE Replied Date: 11 Jun 2012

Ead card production email: 27 Jul

ead card received 4th Aug

Interview appointment. 4th Sept ...had a horrible interview'

2nd interview notice 19th Sept

Stokes interview 11th Oct

Approved 25th Oct

SECOND INTERVIEW

We got to the interview around 8 am although the interview was scheduled for 8.30am. Promptly a petite girl around 25 called my name. My husband myself and lawyer approached her but she stopped us and said that she only need me and my lawyer oh and to walk with all the documents. I was neither surprised nor afraid. I understood this was going to be a stokes interview. The interview so many people dreaded. I smiled to my husband and followed the lady into her office.

You see my husband and myself welcomed a stokes interview. We knew this interview would definitely prove that we were indeed a true married couple.

I was sworn in and then she explained the process to me. Never once mentioning the name Stokes interview. I was ready and she started the questions

What is my name? Address? Date of birth? Husbands name, birth date. Do i have kids and what is their names and date of birth? Where was I born? Where was my husband born? What is my parents name and address? Tell her about my sisters and brothers. Do they live in the USA? Has my husband ever met any of my family? How about my in laws have I met them? When? Does my husband have siblings? What are their names and ages? These questions seem to form in succession. But the strange things was that they were already prepared like that.

How did you meet your husband? How long after did you move in together? Who lived with him at the time? Who invited who for a date first? Who does the cooking at our home? What school does my son attend? What grade? Whats his legal status? Who did he live with in Trinidad and Tobago? Where does his biological dad live?

She took a few moments to look over my paperwork and keeping the documents that were copied and placing them in a pile. She asked did i have these in the last interview and I answered yes! But the officer did not look at them.

Do you and your husband go on dates? When was the last date? Where did you go to? Did your son go with you? I see you have car insurance now, why didn't you have it before? I answered " I had just gotten my SSN number a few days before the last interview and the drivers license took some time to come in the mail. So my hubby did not have a chance to add me to his insurance.

Do you guys own your two cars? What type of cars are they? What color are they? Who bought the two cars? Who owns the home in which you live? Who helped you move into the house?

She stopped again and verified the documents. Tell me about your marriage? How many people were there? Did you have a reception after? What church do you attend? When was the last time you both attended church? Who married you? Why did you choose him to marry you? Did your husbands family attend the wedding?

Ok everything looks fine. I need to get two copies of these documents and I would walk you to the door. Do you have any questions you wish to ask me?

She walked me to the door and called my husband in. He was sworn in and asked the same questions. After about an hour she came out and called me, my son and my best friend who accompanied me to the interview for moral support in.She asked them how do they know me and she asked my son about his relationship with his step dad?

She explained that she had all that she needed and she would get in touch with us. My lawyer thought it all went professional and now were waiting for an answer.

Personally I felt 100% confident at the interview with our lawyer there. The officer was professional and never once was rude. I hope this can help others. I would let you guys know just as soon as I hear anything. Thank you for reading

Approved 25th Oct

Our family and friends called to say they got called by immigration as to attest to the validity of our marriage. They all spoke of their love and friendship with us. Today I was enjoying the beautiful weather outside and as I walked back into the house I noticed a black government vehicle drive by slowly past our house. I cannot say that it was immigration doing final checks but we got an approval later on in the day. Yes this is so real now. Thank you for everyone who helped with helpful words. We are approved now and I hope our experience can help someone else.

Approved 25th Oct

So glad to hear things worked out! People fear Stokes interviews but if you are legit with nothing to hide then you have no reason to worry, as you can attest to.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow, that is insane! I hope we don't have to go through something like that. I am glad that you were approved. Congratulations!

Met at school: August 2008

Dated Officially: Sept 22, 2008

Engaged: April 24, 2011

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2012-01-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-02

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-06-22

NVC Received : 2012-07-13

NVC Left : 2012-07-17

Interview Date : 2012-08-14

Interview Result : Administrative Review

USEM Document Request: Sept 11, 2012

Documents sent: Sept 24, 2012

Documents received: Sept 25, 2012

Forwarded to the Consular officer: Sept 28, 2012

Visa Issued: OCt 3, 2012

Final processing: Oct 3, 2012

Received text msg from 2go: Oct 5, 2012

Visa Received : 2012-10-06

US Entry : 2012-10-19

Applied for SSN: 11-06-2012

SSN Issued: 11-22-2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Congrats :thumbs:

Thank you for posting your experience, it's always good to know and understand your rights.

I-129F

July of 2010: We met in Eritrean when I was on vacation.

August of 2010: Returned to U.S and we spoke on the phone everyday and still do (very costly).

December of 2010 to January 2011: went back to Eritrea to see him.

January 11, 2011- Engaged.

March 2, 2011: I-129F sent

March 13, 2012: Second interview. Placed on Administrative Processing.

October 16, 2012: Case sent back to USCIS

November 16, 2012 Case reaffirmed and sent back to the Department of State (according to the USCIS SITE)

November 28, 2012 Vermont Service Center received Petition back from Embassy.

March 2013- Returned K1 validity expired. Here we go again.... !

I-130

March 15, 2013 Married

April 29, 2013 Filed I-130

May 2, 2013: Received NOA1 via text/email

May 6, 2013: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail

XX- XX, 2013: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!

XX- XX, 2013: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail

XX- X, 2013: NVC received file

XX- X, 2013: NVC case number assigned

Wow, that is insane! I hope we don't have to go through something like that. I am glad that you were approved. Congratulations!

Just go in there and be confident. Remember to pray before walking in the room and even while you are in the room. It should be fine

Approved 25th Oct

My hubby is so excited he is planning our trip home to the Caribbean! Thank you guys

Approved 25th Oct

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations! I am so glad that you were treated properly and got the chance to prove your marriage at the second interview. While you won't know what actions were taken with regards to the first officer I suspect that she will not get away with her behaviour unscathed. Good luck to the two of you.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations! I am so glad that you were treated properly and got the chance to prove your marriage at the second interview. While you won't know what actions were taken with regards to the first officer I suspect that she will not get away with her behaviour unscathed. Good luck to the two of you.

CONGRATULATIONS :dance:

Adjusting from B2,married to my U.S army husband:-)

March 17-married in Las Vegas
June 11-AOS sent
June 13-touched
June 15-NOA1
June 26-Notice for Biometric
June 29-RFE notice(2011 tax)
July 09-Biometric 1:00 pm at Buena Park,CA
July 11-RFE sent
July 12-Notice I-30 transferred from CSC to NBC
July 16-Response Review
July 20-email saying I-30 transferred to USCIS office
Aug 07-recieved email for interview (Sept 10,2012)
Au9 09-interview letter in the mail at Santa Ana@10:30am
Aug 15-EAD card production
Aug 23-EAD card in hand
Sept 10-Interview Day-APPROVED ON THE SPOT..thank You God:-)
Nov 6-After info pass and Service request finally it updated to DECISION.....
Nov 9-Card Production
Nov 15-Green card in hand:-)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Congratulations! :thumbs:

Met online : 2009
Married : 07/28/2010

USCIS
Send I-130 : 06/08/2011
Touched : 06/13/2011
got a NOA1 by e-mail and SMS : 06/15/2011
got "I-797C" hard copy of NOA1 : 06/20/2011
got RFE "I-797E" : 10/15/2011
RFE Reply : 12/15/2011
Touched : 12/16/2011
I-130 Approved : 12/20/2011
got "I-797" hard copy of NOA2 : 12/24/2011
Your I-130 was approved in 183 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC
NVC Case Number : 01/13/2012
Pay "$88" AOS Bill and e-mailed DS-3032 : 02/08/2012
Email from NVC, DS-3032 Accepted : 02/09/2012
AOS Fee Shows PAID : 02/09/2012
IV fee invoiced "$404" : 02/10/2012
IV fee invoiced "$230" : 04/18/2012
Pay "$230" IV Bill : 04/30/2012
IV Fee Shows PAID : 05/02/2012
Send AOS and IV packet : 06/09/2012
AOS and IV packet Received : 06/22/2012
Case completed at NVC : 06/29/2012

Interview Date : 08/28/2012 "Denied"

Case Reaffirmed : 07/16/2013

Second interview - Approved : 10/24/2013

Visa Issued : 10/29/2013

Visa in hand : 10/31/2013

For more details please visit my timeline

485.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

What a freaking nightmare. Congratulations on your resilience and stamina. True love won again ! :thumbs:

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

:wow: that must be hard for you during the 1st interview :wacko: glad you were approved :thumbs:

congratulations :dance: :dance:

qHpljff.jpgqHplp7.png

USCIS

* March 2nd 2012 --> I-130 sent

* March 5th 2012 --> I-130 Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

* March 7th 2012 --> Got NOA1 by SMS (Vermont Service Center)

* March 14th 2012 --> Got Hardcopy of I-797C in the airmail

* June 29th 2012 --> NOA2 (114days)

* July 5th 2012 --> Got Hardcopy of NOA2

NVC

* July 2nd 2012 --> NVC Received

* July 24th 2012 --> NVC Case Number and IIN received by e-mail

* July 24th 2012 --> E-mailed the DS 3032

* July 24th 2012 --> AOS Bill Paid

* July 26th 2012 --> AOS Bill Shows PAID

* July 28th 2012 --> AOS Package Sent

* August 2nd 2012 --> DS-3032 accepted

* August 3rd 2012 --> IV bill invoiced & PAID

* August 7th 2012 --> IV Bill Shows PAID

* August 17th 2012 --> IV Package Sent

* August 24th 2012 --> NVC Case Complete

* September 15th 2012 --> Interview Date Assigned

US EMBASSY JAKARTA

* October 16th 2012 --> INTERVIEW (Approved)

* October 19th 2012 --> Visa in Hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.