Love's JAA

Interview question-Why arent you getting married in your home country?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee and I were reviewing various questions asked at K-1 visa interviews and one of them was "Why aren't you getting married in your home country?"

Why would they ask this, and are there any supposed good answers or bad answers?

If they were to ask that question of us, in our case, my fiancee is not currently working and residing in her country. So I would guess they wouldn't ask that. But since we plan to live in the US, it just is more convenient, than for me to take a month plus off of work to go do all the necessary steps to try and marry in her country. We have decided we would marry in US and then go have another ceremony/celebration later in her home.

I was just wondering if anyone here on VJ was ever asked this and how did they answer.

My fiancee and I were reviewing various questions asked at K-1 visa interviews and one of them was "Why aren't you getting married in your home country?"

Why would they ask this, and are there any supposed good answers or bad answers?

If they were to ask that question of us, in our case, my fiancee is not currently working and residing in her country. So I would guess they wouldn't ask that. But since we plan to live in the US, it just is more convenient, than for me to take a month plus off of work to go do all the necessary steps to try and marry in her country. We have decided we would marry in US and then go have another ceremony/celebration later in her home.

I was just wondering if anyone here on VJ was ever asked this and how did they answer.

I haven't had my interview yet, but if I were asked that question I would just say that my fiance and I don't want to be apart after being married. Imagine that!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Honesty is usually the best policy. Most people have a reason for choosing the K1 instead of getting married and filing for a CR1. In my case, getting married in my wife's country is time consuming, bureaucratic, and unnecessarily stressful. The whole process, from the traditional ceremony through getting the marriage certificate, can take as long as six weeks - a bit faster if you're willing to grease the right palms.

On the other hand, getting married in the US can be done at the local county clerk's office in less than 1/2 an hour and with zero stress.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I haven't had my interview yet, but if I were asked that question I would just say that my fiance and I don't want to be apart after being married. Imagine that!

GREAT point you got there, sis! :)

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to Him,
and He will make your paths straight.

In GOD we trust. † = ♥

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Honesty is usually the best policy. Most people have a reason for choosing the K1 instead of getting married and filing for a CR1. In my case, getting married in my wife's country is time consuming, bureaucratic, and unnecessarily stressful. The whole process, from the traditional ceremony through getting the marriage certificate, can take as long as six weeks - a bit faster if you're willing to grease the right palms.

On the other hand, getting married in the US can be done at the local county clerk's office in less than 1/2 an hour and with zero stress.

My wife said same thing easier in US.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

My wife was not asked any questions like that. However, if she had been asked she would have replied that we are getting married in a home country; HIS.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

tell them marriage in your home country involves inviting hundreds of family and friends and will be very expensive. In USA its just 2 of you. Alot cheaper.

:yes:

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm surprised nobody suggested: 'because it is the fasted way to start living together in the US'. Or is it too arrogant? Why not let them know the system is flowed by penalizing married couples with longer processing times.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

They asked me that question in my interview. "Why you plan to get married in US while your family and friend are here in the Philippines" wow.gif I also didn't expect that but, of-course i just smile and answer perfectly. So I got approved and welcome me to USA smile.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My friend Helen did a wedding ceremony in her country with her family and closest friends, I'm not sure if it was before or after she getting a visa K1, then she traveled to USA and got married legally.

If you want, you can do it the same.

an1cHjz0g410010M2xzfDEwMDA5OThzYXxMaXZpb

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm surprised nobody suggested: 'because it is the fasted way to start living together in the US'. Or is it too arrogant? Why not let them know the system is flowed by penalizing married couples with longer processing times.

Well, you're probably not off to a great start if starting out by critizising a country you have the priviledge of moving to, I'd guess. The interviewing officer can't really say that much. I'd just stop the sentence after "it's the fastest way of reuniting" or whichever the answer is.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I married in my husband's country but we have a big celebration waiting when he comes to USA with my family and friends. But if we went the k1 route and was asked that I'm sure he would say what>>>> LH&me said:

if I were asked that question I would just say that my fiance and I don't want to be apart after being married. Imagine that! good answer and it's truly sad when your married and apart sometimes for months at a time :crying:

Edited by AYMAN_RINA

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

We got married in her country, the Philippines, because we just knew we wanted to marry, and didnt want to put it off longer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.