EnglishMuffin

Form I-693 with K1 visa

15 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone

So I finally touched down in the US Sept 24th, with my wedding Dec 1st. (within the 90 days) ;)

I have been following the K1 step by step flow chart, and ticking things off. I have my social security number sorted, just need to get married and apply for AOS.

However on the step by step, it mentions the form I-693, required so that your vaccinations can be documented properly as part of your AOS package. The form itself is $0, but to have this form filled out by a civil surgeon any where between $100 - $500. Now I'm pretty sure I paid to have a medical and vaccinations test 6 months ago in the UK, by a USCIS recognised surgeon that was attached to my file, and handed in at point of entry. Can this be used for the AOS? Or is the I-693 necessary? This just seems like I'm throwing more much needed money down the drain.

I have been reading a few forums on this matter, are there any of you who have entered on the k1 and not filled out this form for AOS and everything been processed just fine?

Thank you for your help

Chris

*Resumes Wedding Planning*

Just FYI ... I did stumble across this on britishexpats.com

'Note: K Visa's: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with your adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon.'

But obviously you can't believe everything you read online, would be nice to have proof :)

Yes, you will need to have the vaccination supplement transcribed for you by a designated civil surgeon.

You can find some near you by putting you zip code into https://egov.uscis.g...office_type=CIV

The issue is that often civil surgeons will refuse to do the transcription for a K-1 and will instead insist on doing a whole new medical, along with the fee. You will need to find one that will specifically do what you are asking, which is the vaccination transcription only, and not the full exam.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Have fun with your CS visit. PS order a rush on your wedding docs, just to make sure you don't file late (to some no big deal).

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just FYI ... I did stumble across this on britishexpats.com

'Note: K Visa's: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with your adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon.'

But obviously you can't believe everything you read online, would be nice to have proof :)

The actual I-693 instructions state you do not need another medical if you had yours overseas within a year of filing for AOS. This gets asked about a lot here on VJ. You can do a search here to find more threads about the topic. Also, there is an AOS forum too: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-family-based-visas/

You do not need a medical, and you may not need to see a civil surgeon at all. If you had all the required vaccinations at the time of your medical and they are all marked off on your DS-3025, then skip the civil surgeon and just send in a copy of your DS-3025. Here are details of how to know if your DS-3025 is ok to send alone or not : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/335754-ds-3025-complete-or-not/page__p__4971318#entry4971318

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi Everyone

So I finally touched down in the US Sept 24th, with my wedding Dec 1st. (within the 90 days) ;)

I have been following the K1 step by step flow chart, and ticking things off. I have my social security number sorted, just need to get married and apply for AOS.

However on the step by step, it mentions the form I-693, required so that your vaccinations can be documented properly as part of your AOS package. The form itself is $0, but to have this form filled out by a civil surgeon any where between $100 - $500. Now I'm pretty sure I paid to have a medical and vaccinations test 6 months ago in the UK, by a USCIS recognised surgeon that was attached to my file, and handed in at point of entry. Can this be used for the AOS? Or is the I-693 necessary? This just seems like I'm throwing more much needed money down the drain.

I have been reading a few forums on this matter, are there any of you who have entered on the k1 and not filled out this form for AOS and everything been processed just fine?

Thank you for your help

Chris

*Resumes Wedding Planning*

This is why we say get the vaccines overseas and a DS3025 at the medical exam. Civil Surgeons can charge and require anything they want to give you their signature and they know it. Call around and see what you can do. The medical you did overseas does not have the form you need. That would be the DS 3025 from the clinic which they would have given to you. If you do no thave that, then you need to do the I-693 here.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

kicking.gifkicking.gifkicking.gifWelcome to the USA! kicking.gifkicking.gifkicking.gif

I don't want to give you the wrong information, but this was my experience.

If you got your full medical done in the UK within the last 12 months then I'm pretty sure you don't need to do anything, just send them your completed DS-3025. In particular is the vaccinations form DS-2053.

I got totally confused about this, lots of information on VJ and other resources indicating it must be signed by a civil surgeon, but I was given the advice that it was not required.

I took this advice and didn't have any issues. I sent a photocopy of my FULL DS-3025 (Including DS-2053) and I was approved without RFE. It's only if your vaccination record is not complete does it get muddy. Even though my DS-2053 was marked incomplete. But only because the missing vaccinations are only required by females. I received all of my required and relevant vaccinations back in Australia.

Again I had no issue whatsoever with AOS by following this advice. I never filled in or submitted an I-693.

Congratulations also on your upcoming wedding!

Best of luck. kicking.gif

Edited by GrayL

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The actual I-693 instructions state you do not need another medical if you had yours overseas within a year of filing for AOS. This gets asked about a lot here on VJ. You can do a search here to find more threads about the topic. Also, there is an AOS forum too: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-family-based-visas/

You do not need a medical, and you may not need to see a civil surgeon at all. If you had all the required vaccinations at the time of your medical and they are all marked off on your DS-3025, then skip the civil surgeon and just send in a copy of your DS-3025. Here are details of how to know if your DS-3025 is ok to send alone or not : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/335754-ds-3025-complete-or-not/page__p__4971318#entry4971318

All true. EXCEPT civil surgeons can require another full medical if they want to (they make more money that way) Call around, many do not require the medical exam and will just sign off on the I-693 for a fee, which can still be $100 or so.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

All true. EXCEPT civil surgeons can require another full medical if they want to (they make more money that way) Call around, many do not require the medical exam and will just sign off on the I-693 for a fee, which can still be $100 or so.

Yes, people need to call around until they find a civil surgeon that won't insist on giving them a medical they do not need or charge for it anyway. That would be IF they need to see a civil surgeon. Since I was letting them know they might not need to see one at all, I didn't go into all the details of finding a CS. Nothing untrue in what I said though.

To the OP> If you end up needing to see a civil surgeon, check this thread to see if there is one anywhere near enough to your area: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/231026-civil-surgeons-who-dont-rip-you-off/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I second this.

This was my experience exactly. Even though in the end it wasn't required, I did look into it (as part of my confusion period headbonk.gif) I found the list of USCIS civil surgeons, rang one, they refused to work on my existing DS-3025, instead opting for a full medical (I never found out how much it would have cost). I did eventually find one that were happy just to work with what I had, which was still going to cost me $120. In the end I didn't need any of it though.

Good Luck kicking.gif

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Thank you that was extremely useful!!! :thumbs:

kicking.gifkicking.gifkicking.gifWelcome to the USA! kicking.gifkicking.gifkicking.gif

I don't want to give you the wrong information, but this was my experience.

If you got your full medical done in the UK within the last 12 months then I'm pretty sure you don't need to do anything, just send them your completed DS-3025. In particular is the vaccinations form DS-2053.

I got totally confused about this, lots of information on VJ and other resources indicating it must be signed by a civil surgeon, but I was given the advice that it was not required.

I took this advice and didn't have any issues. I sent a photocopy of my FULL DS-3025 (Including DS-2053) and I was approved without RFE. It's only if your vaccination record is not complete does it get muddy. Even though my DS-2053 was marked incomplete. But only because the missing vaccinations are only required by females. I received all of my required and relevant vaccinations back in Australia.

Again I had no issue whatsoever with AOS by following this advice. I never filled in or submitted an I-693.

Congratulations also on your upcoming wedding!

Best of luck. kicking.gif

I have a copy of form DS-3025, however form DS-2053 I do not have, but reading other forums, this form was in the white envelope along with my visa paperwork that I handed over at point of entry. So is sending a copy of DS-3025 enough ? I could always call the physician back in England who performed it and ask for a copy.

Thanks for your help :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

Since your physical exam is within a year then you don't need another physical. If you haven't gotten all your vaccinations you may need to get those first. You need the civil surgeon to transcribe the vaccinations after getting the ones you need. You may have the civil surgeon do them or when you marry you can join your husbands insurance and get it then (cheaper). If you've had all the vaccines you needed for AOS then some people have just sent in the form they brought with them from the original (or maybe a copy from your country) medical form and others still got the vaccine transcribed onto I-693 and send that. Depending on your IO, some care take the Original medical form with vaccine info while others prefer the I-693.

For my husband he needed 3 more shots so we did it under our health insurance at our family doctor (a visit is $50) tfen had a civil surgeon transcribe the vaccine shots for about $60.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have a copy of form DS-3025, however form DS-2053 I do not have, but reading other forums, this form was in the white envelope along with my visa paperwork that I handed over at point of entry. So is sending a copy of DS-3025 enough ? I could always call the physician back in England who performed it and ask for a copy.

Thanks for your help :)

DS-2053 isn't required, DS-3025 is the vaccination sheet. If you had ALL the shots that are required for your age range you should be okay just sending the DS-3025 but sometimes, even if you are up to date, the person processing your forms could screw it up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I took this advice and didn't have any issues. I sent a photocopy of my FULL DS-3025 (Including DS-2053) and I was approved without RFE. It's only if your vaccination record is not complete does it get muddy. Even though my DS-2053 was marked incomplete.

You're a little confused. The DS-3025 is the vaccination sheet, and the one that would have been marked "incomplete". DS-2053 is the medical.

Here i the medical: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/vietnam/8621/pdf-forms/DS-2053.pdf and you can scroll down to page 5 which is the vaccination sheet, and you can see in the bottom left hand corner the number "DS-3025"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.