ReignDance

A bit of a dilemma and looking for answers

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, I had some questions. First of all, I became engaged to a wonderful woman (Indonesian) and we are currently applying for her K-1 visa. After that, we will get married here, in the United States. Seems great so far. There is something we both want to do eventually, though. We want to live in Indonesia (for certain reasons). I'm not sure if we'd do it temporarily or permanently, but let's assume permanently. We read that she may not relocate while she has her green card for a very long time. Are there exceptions? She's going to miss her family terribly and would like to live there again at some point in time. If you need more details, please ask. I'll be happy to give them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Citizenship forum to K-1 Process forum -- topic involves parameters of the K-1 visa. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hello, I had some questions. First of all, I became engaged to a wonderful woman (Indonesian) and we are currently applying for her K-1 visa. After that, we will get married here, in the United States. Seems great so far. There is something we both want to do eventually, though. We want to live in Indonesia (for certain reasons). I'm not sure if we'd do it temporarily or permanently, but let's assume permanently. We read that she may not relocate while she has her green card for a very long time. Are there exceptions? She's going to miss her family terribly and would like to live there again at some point in time. If you need more details, please ask. I'll be happy to give them.

Besides technical factors, are YOU happy to leave the US permanently and relocate to Indonesia? Are you aware of everything you need to adapt to? Granted she's a wonderful woman, but the romantic feeling doesn't last long. There might be times during your marriage where you might wish you never moved with her. (Every marriage has frictions) But, if you think you will be just as dedicated to her as you are now after moving to her country, then go for it. But think about what you have to leave behind. Only if you truly love her, and continue to love her till death do you part, you will be happy to leave behind YOUR country and make her country and culture yours.

You were probably looking for immigration-related answers, but i think this is more important to think about. Just kind of :ot: though. Hope you get the answers you're looking for.

Besides technical factors, are YOU happy to leave the US permanently and relocate to Indonesia? Are you aware of everything you need to adapt to? Granted she's a wonderful woman, but the romantic feeling doesn't last long. There might be times during your marriage where you might wish you never moved with her. (Every marriage has frictions) But, if you think you will be just as dedicated to her as you are now after moving to her country, then go for it. But think about what you have to leave behind. Only if you truly love her, and continue to love her till death do you part, you will be happy to leave behind YOUR country and make her country and culture yours.

You were probably looking for immigration-related answers, but i think this is more important to think about. Just kind of :ot: though. Hope you get the answers you're looking for.

It's not like I plan to give up my American citizenship. I'd just like to live there with her for a long time. If things go bad there, I want to know if she and I can come back to the United States with no problems. I don't want her American citizenship to be revoked, because she hasn't lived here for a while.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

What sort of timescale are you thinking about? There are several issues to consider:

- whie the AOS from the K1 is going on, after marriage, she cannot leave the country (well, she can, but can;t get back in) for at least 2-3 months.

- She will need to be present for a potential AOS interview, often after some 6 months after filing

- She will need to be present to ROC (remove conditions) 2 years later

- If she leaves the USA for longer than 6 months at a time while a greencard holder, there is a chance they will revoke her greencard. If she stays out longer than a year, it is definitely gone.

- If she can hold out until she is a naturalised US citizen (some 3 years and a few months after she gets her greencard), she can travel freely and stay in Indonesia for as long as she wants.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

"You were probably looking for immigration-related answers, but i think this is more important to think about. Just kind of :ot: though. Hope you get the answers you're looking for".

Wow. I appreciate that there is a lot of good advice on the Immigration process given here at VJ and it is incredibly helpful..... but I have to say I am frequently surprised how often people take it as an opportunity to give un-solicitored advice on peoples relationships and how people should live their lives. Just my un-solicitored opinion.

Just to add, I'm sure he is just as happy and prepared to leave his country as she is to leave hers.... don't quite get the point you are trying to make in your post

The more frequently you see people taking an opportunity to give "un-solicitored" advice (unsolicited, perhaps?), the more frequently you have the opportunity to throw in your unsolicited opinions.

Back to topic

Edited by LH&me

What sort of timescale are you thinking about? There are several issues to consider:

- whie the AOS from the K1 is going on, after marriage, she cannot leave the country (well, she can, but can;t get back in) for at least 2-3 months.

- She will need to be present for a potential AOS interview, often after some 6 months after filing

- She will need to be present to ROC (remove conditions) 2 years later

- If she leaves the USA for longer than 6 months at a time while a greencard holder, there is a chance they will revoke her greencard. If she stays out longer than a year, it is definitely gone.

- If she can hold out until she is a naturalised US citizen (some 3 years and a few months after she gets her greencard), she can travel freely and stay in Indonesia for as long as she wants.

What the future holds is always uncertain. Maybe we'll end up in Indonesia for 10+ years. So, once she gets naturalized after 3 years, she and I can move to Indonesia for as long as we want; and we don't have to worry that her American citizenship will get revoked?

The more frequently you see people taking an opportunity to give "un-solicitored" advice (unsolicited, perhaps?), the more frequently you have the opportunity to throw in your unsolicited opinions.

Back to topic

Touche....and thanks for the spell check

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, once she has citizenship she can leave until the day she dies and would still be a US citizen.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

When are you thinking of moving to live in Indonesia? Right after your marriage or later?

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Maybe thisis out of topic but I think you are such a great future husband. You are quitting everything you know to give her a chance to spend more time with her family, that is sosweet. Some people in this topic FORGETS that we ( the foreign fiances and spouse) have to quit everything we know to be with our loveone(US citizen). Nobody seems to care everything we have to deal with in order to be here. Maybe some our countries are mot perfect, compare to the US, but still that's our home. I truly love this country but I cant help missing my family, my friends, my culture. I think that's a gesture of true love and can stop thinking that your lady is a very lucky girl. Wishing you the best and tons if blessings in your journey together

Oh, well thank you very much for saying such a nice thing about me. It means a lot to me to hear that :). She is giving up a lot to be with me, so I will do the same for her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.