JM&K

Can a congressman help expedite the process?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree , one month is just the beginning of the waiting process. Congressman only get

involved if its outside the normal processing time or you have special circumstances.

The centers are still trying to deal with the overload of visa requests from the summer season.

The entire process is stressful and painful to endure, understandably they have a tough job to weed out the

fraud that's taking place. I wish they could work into this process an interview of the petitioner

when the spouse/fiance is in another country, hold the U.S citizen/green card holder

responsible and accountable for any fraud!! People hear how I'm waiting to get my husband here

and its amazing how many of these people openly know someone who committed fraud to beat the system,

and it makes my blood boil to know they are the reason I/we going through this! I'm proud to be doing

this process the honest way to get my husband here. In the end they will decide and my husband and

I must accept their decision. I wish there was a magic way to weed out the fraud, but there isn't.

It is always the burden of the honest to carry the consequences of people with bad intentions.

Dig in and anticipate 8-12 months until the interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Geez. It's only been ONE month? You have a long way to go yet. You have seen the others processing times. You cannot short circuit yours. It is what it is.

Ha no need to "Geez" there... Did you understand the question? We just wanted to know if it was possible to use that option if it was taking more than the usual delays, like we saw for the green card.

Of course we're not thinking about doing that after a month! Thank you Captain Obvious... It is what it is! :)

They don't really do anything in my opinion. And if anything the processing times should speed up by the time you get far enough to look at being approved. Just waiting is the best option, calling just seems to make people feel better more than anything else, like it gives you a bit of control in this process that otherwise affords you none.

Edited by AmeriPole

I-129F Paperwork Filed: 5/3/12

I-129F Paperwork delivered: 5/5/12

NOA1 Notification Email: 5/9/12

NOA1 Date: 5/9/12

"Touched": 5/10/12

NOA2: 11/13/12

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To Texas... I understood his question perfectly clear. He was just asking a simple question which had to be too simple for you......... I wrote my Senator because we were 7 months and I did get a response not only from the Senator in a few days but from USICS VCS. So to answer your question if there is a delay and you are past your processing time yes you can write your Senator or Congressman. Texas- This was the original question in the first place.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

We just began the visa process a month ago and are discouraged by how long it takes! I've read that calling or getting a congressman involved can help speed up the green card process. Does anyone know if this helps with the k-1 visa too?

What makes you special?

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Just to add, everyone is partly correctly... Local congressmen or senators will generally not get involved until you are outside of the normal processing time, however, in the event of an emergency or some sort of extreme situation, they will in fact get involved and it can help to speed up the process. I am a May filer, processed through the VSC and we did have an emergent situation come up that did not necessarily qualify for any of the pre-canned expedite criteria. Not to get into personal details, but our situation involved my fiance's general lack of safety to the extent where she was physically harmed once. I was able to get assistance from one of my local congressmen's office in re-evaluating a failed attempt for expedited processing and they were able to get it approved. We received our NOA2 roughly 5 days after the congressional inquiry was sent. Long story short in some cases contacting the local electorally office can cut through some of the red tape and speed things along. However unless there is some sort of dire emergency or situation, or you are outside of your processing centers normal processing time, then generally they will not aid you, and you have to wait like everyone else. :)

05/24/12 - Mailed I-129F to USCIS

05/29/12 - NOA1 received

08/30/12 - NOA2 received. Petition approved.

09/03/12 - NOA2 Hard copy received in mail.

09/11/12 - NVC Received petition.

09/13/12 - Left NVC, sent via DHL to Moscow. Expected delivery 9/17/2012

09/19/12 - Email Received confirming consulate received and processed petition. Invited to schedule Interview

10/10/12 - Interview APPROVED !!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

My congress rep was contacted at 5 months.

Our app was approved 2 days later.

They did directly contact the CSC to help. I had to sign a letter releasing my private info for them to explore the case. I'm not military or anything else and my fiancee wasn't pregnant.

They CAN help, but it is completely dependent on which person in congress you are talking to. I tried doing some research on both my congress reps and senators to see which one of them had a historical voting record promoting family or immigration. You should also be able to see which committees they are on, which can also give you insight.

Be courteous, have a valid reason for why you think your application should be advanced, and be respectful. They probably get a million requests from folks. Your request should stand out. Avoid criticizing the government in your letter/email.

K1 Process -

1/30/12 - I-129F sent

2/2/12 - NOA1 Received (CSC)

2/3/12 - Visa App Fee Check Cashed

6/18/12 - NOA2 Email Received at 9PM MST

6/22/12 - NOA2 Letter Received in Mail

7/11/12 - NVC Received

7/13/12 - NVC Sent Case to Moldova Embassy

7/18/12 - Packet 3 dropped off to Embassy

7/19/12 - Packet 3 & 4 Instructions Received from Embassy

7/23/12 - Medical Exam Passed

7/27/12 - Interview

8/4/12 - POE Denver, CO

9/14/12 - Wedding #1 (Denver Courthouse)

9/17/12 - AOS/EAD sent

9/19/12 - AOS/EAD NOA1

10/23/12 - Biometrics

1/16/23 - AOS Interview

6/15/13 - Wedding #2 (Colorado)

6/22/13 - Wedding #3 (Moldova)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

We just began the visa process a month ago and are discouraged by how long it takes! I've read that calling or getting a congressman involved can help speed up the green card process. Does anyone know if this helps with the k-1 visa too?

I submitted a status request & they told me to wait for two more months..meaning December...I called my congress person & she inquired & they told her my file has not been assigned to anyone to work yet so I should wait for another month. Either way it goes its disheartening because they have had my file for 6 months & no one has even reviewed it. So, the answer to your question. The Congress is only good if you want to get some information but it will not speed up the process at all. My congress person told me to call back by the end of november if i have not heard anything.

She also told me some of these case workers are working from home so there is no telling where my case is. In the baby's crib? In the trash? Or, Maybe, In the dog kennel being used for liner.

I hate to sound discouraging but its how I feel right now..sorry.:crying:

Elvis & Tabitha

Is it impossible For Me To Love You Anymore Than I Do Now? Nahhhhhhh!

04/05/2012 - Rec'd Delivery Receipt from USPO.

04/10/2012 - Received Mobile Alert I129F.

04/10/2012 - Check Cashed By USIC & Receipt# Given.

04/11/2012 - Received 1-797C 1st NOA1 Via Mail

10/29/2012- NOA2 Received

11/01/2012 - NOA2 Received In Mail

Really, the only thing a congress person can do is get an quick answer as to your status. If you are close to getting a decision, they might take credit for it, but really had no inpact. This is straight from one of my Senator's mouth.

If congressional involvement made it fast, everyone would do it.

{Mod Action}

Zombie thread from 2012 locked. You are free to start you own thread.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.