NickiMinaj

So to study in the US you have to be rich, right?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm honestly just making sure I'm not missing anything here. My gf is trying to study in the us and we've tried to do research but all I see is that you have to show proof of funds in order to study here, and it's obviously a lot more expensive for someone out of state/country, like riduculous amounts. I know that many colleges value having international students, so I'm thinking that there has to be some that would offer a partial scholarship or something? Or are there other general scholarships for international students? I haven't found much luck finding any. Can anyone please provide me with some good links to check something like that out? If she has to show proof of $30,000+ that isn't happening. She's smart but didn't have brilliant grades or anything, just above average. She is studying to be an elementary school teacher after taking 2 years off college she has 2 to go and just transfered to a new college but like I said, she has put countless time into trying to find out how to study here. Her college has a foreign exchange program with Austrailia but nothing with the us. Are there any other options? I know this is kind of a pipe dream of ours, but it seems really impossible :crying:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You have to be able to afford the tuition.

You would need to contact the universities that she is interested in to learn what type of international student scholarships may be available.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The scholarships available would be from her country, not the USA- some countries (or charities in her country) may have scholarships available for studying abroad. Othertimes, though this is mostly for post-grad studies, you can be a teaching assistant and get your tuition paid in return.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

have you checked fulbright? but it might be only for graduate students. maybe you can find something here: http://exchanges.state.gov/prog-non-us.html

usually, if you come as an exchange student for a year you don't pay tuition. but your university in your home country would need an agreement with the university in the US.

Edited by vroni

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I'm honestly just making sure I'm not missing anything here. My gf is trying to study in the us and we've tried to do research but all I see is that you have to show proof of funds in order to study here, and it's obviously a lot more expensive for someone out of state/country, like riduculous amounts. I know that many colleges value having international students, so I'm thinking that there has to be some that would offer a partial scholarship or something? Or are there other general scholarships for international students? I haven't found much luck finding any. Can anyone please provide me with some good links to check something like that out? If she has to show proof of $30,000+ that isn't happening. She's smart but didn't have brilliant grades or anything, just above average. She is studying to be an elementary school teacher after taking 2 years off college she has 2 to go and just transfered to a new college but like I said, she has put countless time into trying to find out how to study here. Her college has a foreign exchange program with Austrailia but nothing with the us. Are there any other options? I know this is kind of a pipe dream of ours, but it seems really impossible :crying:

An international student does not qualify for federal or state governments backed loans and grants. US taxpayers money can only flow to US citizens and US legal permanent residents.

Your girlfriend would need to rely on private loans and private scholarships. Contact the schools she wants to go to for information about those private sources.

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes, the U.S. is a capitalist nation, and good education and healthcare are very expensive.

$30K for 4 years of schools is an absolute bargain. In fact, that would only be $7,500 per year, not even enough for tuition, me thinks.

There are quite a few people who paid way into the 6 digits for just the Bachelor's degree.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I studied in the US and yes, tuition rates are crazy for international students. I took out loans and applied for scholarships so it is possible, she just has to do some research about what is available to her.

no it isn't easy or cheap and being a teacher won't pay back her loans quickly (I teach too) but it is possible.

Other possibilities are for her to move after she is done with school and work in the US. OR petition for a fiance visa and she may go to school as your wife, a lot cheaper

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I studied in the US and yes, tuition rates are crazy for international students. I took out loans and applied for scholarships so it is possible, she just has to do some research about what is available to her.

no it isn't easy or cheap and being a teacher won't pay back her loans quickly (I teach too) but it is possible.

Other possibilities are for her to move after she is done with school and work in the US. OR petition for a fiance visa and she may go to school as your wife, a lot cheaper

Good luck

would love that but we're both chicks so DOMA is currently stopping that :wacko:. Forgot to mention she is Canadian and has 2 years left of college, but yeah no way we can afford a US education and I can't go to canada (can't lose job right now) so we'll have to wait. Thanks all for the replies though, and hoping for good luck for the future

OP - There is a work visa available for Canadians called the TN visa. But, elementary school teachers don't qualify. Maybe your gf, since she is only 2 years in to college, would like a career/major change for future plans to live in in the US on TN, before DOMA is changed?

Edited by Kathryn41
edited to remove post removed for TOS violations

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Yep. My school cost me $22,000 a year, and that was after a $9000 annual scholarship. Times that by 4 years and I begin to wonder why on Earth I wanted to go to school here :lol:

There are however plenty of scholarships available to international students, but only through private scholarship funds and/or private schools.

Does Canada have some kind of governmental student loan program? Norway has a state education loan fund which allowed me to afford my tuition here in the US, and my scholarship was an international student grant through my US school (private university). The proof of funds I had to show for my student visa was a pre-approved loan guarantee from the Norwegian government and the scholarship offer from my school - If she can get a scholarship or a student loan she won't have to show $30k in her or her parents' savings account.

I'd start researching Canadian student loan options and private universities in the US. Contact the universities, ask them about financial aid for international students.

PS. Education is expensive in the US for foreign students because it would be unfair for US taxpayers to pay for their education.

PPS. Most serious private universities are very accommodating and willing to help out prospective international students. My school went to great lengths to help me out in the visa application process.

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My fiance's daughter is trying to study in this country as well. Her tuition is 8500 a year but to get her student visa she needs to have about 32,000 dollars! The almost 24,000 dollars is for room and board! She has a place to stay free and doesn't need the room and board but they say she still has to have a sponsor willing to give her that amount of money. That sponsor has to provide a certified bank statement of at least that amount of money and it has to be 'readily available' for her!! So I'm not sure you are missing anything really? The government wants to make sure that student doesn't apply for welfare and become a ward of the state so to speak! Even though it doesn't seem to bother them giving all that money to illegals in this country! Go Figure!!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

2 posts containing inappropriate comments have been removed and one post quoting same has been edited to remove quoted content

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Yes the US are expensive but you need to be smart , did she check all the states or only NY and California ?

There are lots of universities which offer low tuition for MBA , South Dakota university , North Texas , Eastern Washington University .... since the cost of living and the tuitions are lower the bank statements requested can be under 20 000 .Plus with the OPT you can work between your bachelor and master to save some money

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

2 posts containing inappropriate comments have been removed and one post quoting same has been edited to remove quoted content

reporting the truth has always been inappropriate here.

if the truth were known, people might make different choices.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.