9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

No! You will not. Cause the rule says that you need to be single to get it...but after that you can do whatever u want. But before getting it you can NOT get married

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

One thing is the visa and the greencard is other thing. He i right but once yiu get the greencard you should be able to get married. Is a normal process of life

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

**Moved from AOS from family visas to Effects. OP wants to know if her Immigration Benefits will change if she marries.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Thank you for your answer, The reason I asked was that the Consul said that my visa is only valid when I am singe. I was very surprised.

It is. Are you still in your home country or already in US ? If in US, then no problem. If in home country - big problem.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I would wait until I have the GREEN CARD in my hands until I married, the green card is NOT the same as the visa. You have to enter the US and wait for the green card to be mailed to you. If you marry after receiving the visa but BEFORE you have the green card you cannot get the green card.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thank you for your answer, The reason I asked was that the Consul said that my visa is only valid when I am singe. I was very surprised.

The Consol is correct.

A visa is not the same thing as a green card. They are very different.

If you have not used the visa to enter the US, then you do not have a green card. You have a visa. You will get your green card when you enter the US with your visa.

If you marry with a visa and no green card, you will no longer be unmarried. Using the visa would be fraud.

If you want to marry and immigrate to the US, then come to the US first and then go home to marry.

Read the many posts on thi site with people who have problems with obtaining US citizenship when they unintentionally violate the unmarried visa requirement by marrying before usin the visa.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello, I wonder if someone could help me to find out... I received green card as unmarried daughter age over 21 of US citizen. Is this true that if I get married now I will loose my status? Thank you in advance.

The advices above are accurate. :thumbs:

In our experience, my boyfriend (then) migrated under F2B visa (unmarried son over 21 of LPR). After his embassy interview, the Consul made him sign a waiver saying that he cannot marry after receiving his visa and before leaving for US.

Exactly a month after his US arrival, he received his Green Card. He went back here in the Philippines so we can get married. Went back to US then filed F2A petition for me after I sent him our NSO Marriage Certificate.

Hope this helps. :innocent:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.