23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just got my k-1visa and it's time to plan for the wedding. My thought is that we are going to have a small court wedding with only a few friends involved. But my family is giving me a lot pressure and they want to have a formal one!!! They are saying this is going to be our 1st wedding and we need to get it memorable. On my side, I just want to get the wedding thing to be simple and as less efforts we can put in as possible. I have already been so stressed about moving, losing my job and all the big chang... I am feeling so depressed....what should I do?

I don't want to upset my family on a small wedding but hate to put a big one as they intended. My fiancé also agrees on a small one ...

Jan,2008 we met each other for the first time
March 11,2010, I flew to Dallas to visit him. We started dating.
September, 2011, we made the most stupid mistake we could have, sending out packet I-129 application without putting in a single page of supporting document.
January 12,2012, we received our declined petition letter after 5 months :-(
January 20, 2012, I flew to Dallas to prepare the packet and sent out the fiance petition
January 23, 2012, we received our noa1
May 30,2012, we received our noa2
June 13,2012, Our case was forwarded to Montreal
July 4,2012, I received RFE
July 5, 2012, I sent out RFE
July 9,2012, Montreal received my RFE
July 16,2012, I sent out my Packet 3 (I did not call Montreal to confirm if they have sent out my Packet 3)
July 25,2012, I received my Packet 4 in email
September 4,2012 at 9:10 am, visa approved !!!
September 6,2012, Visa in hand
November 17,2012, POE in Chicago
February 09,2013, Wedding

March 16,2013, AOS package sent out

March 22,2013,NOA received.

January 31, 2014, Card production

Timeline

Just got my k-1visa and it's time to plan for the wedding. My thought is that we are going to have a small court wedding with only a few friends involved. But my family is giving me a lot pressure and they want to have a formal one!!! They are saying this is going to be our 1st wedding and we need to get it memorable. On my side, I just want to get the wedding thing to be simple and as less efforts we can put in as possible. I have already been so stressed about moving, losing my job and all the big chang... I am feeling so depressed....what should I do?

I don't want to upset my family on a small wedding but hate to put a big one as they intended. My fiancé also agrees on a small one ...

We decided to do a small court wedding and will do the more formal one with friends and family next summer. With all the changes (moving, quit my job...) planning a wedding within 3 months is just insane ! Don't forget, it's your and your fiance wedding, you do what YOU two really want !

Have a happy one ! :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

We decided to do a small court wedding and will do the more formal one with friends and family next summer. With all the changes (moving, quit my job...) planning a wedding within 3 months is just insane ! Don't forget, it's your and your fiance wedding, you do what YOU two really want !

Have a happy one ! :D

Perfect response. :thumbs:

I agree that this is a great response! We're debating between small civil for AOL then a big wedding later or trying to cram everything in. We're leaning more towards option one. It's your day, do what you want. If you feel like you need a compromise for family then meet them halfway and have a fun party but keep it small.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

We are planning once my fiance gets here to do a small court wedding (just close friends and family) and a fun dinner party (more friends and family.) And then we'll save for a big wedding probably a year later!

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

Ive attended some court weddings. Youd be surprised how nice they are. Bring guests, make them dress up and go to a nice dinner after.. you can still have it look like a small intimate wedding celebration :)

have someone with a nice camera take pics!

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My in-laws were the big "guilters" for me. My family wasn't able to attend, just my sister and her husband so a HUGE wedding wasn't what we had planned... then our small list ended up bigger and included my MIL's work colleagues, my SIL invited her friends to come and eat (we paid for food "per plate")... and just.. ugh. It was more of a family reunion/party for people I didn't know that WE paid for, then our wedding. Hate is a pretty strong word but I regret a lot of it. Looking back I wish we'd just done a small private wedding and then had parties in either country to celebrate...

My reason for telling you that is, if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. You will end up feeling a lot of resentment and anger about it. My older sister kept ranting about us coming to visit, to the point I had to actually get pretty forceful with her about it. I was sick of hearing it. Perhaps you should sit down with the most vocal family members and tell them to BACK OFF. This is your wedding, not theirs. This is your fiance's wedding, not theirs. While their opinions are appreciated, a suggestion is fine, pressure is not. This is what will happen with kids too so start putting your foot down now.

Good luck!

Mine was a bit of a mess to be honest.. My husbands family couldnt come because it was in the UK, my mums side of the family didnt want to come (many reasons, all of which are stupid) and my dads side didnt come because we didnt want it to be unfair or too one sided. We did it with 3 friends and my mum (who later ruined it by saying she hated it during the meal.. Out of the 3 friends, one wore a hoody and jeans, another looked like a hooker and her partner was the only one who made an effort!). Now i wish that we just didnt tell anybody and used people who worked there for witnesses.

So.. What im saying is, dont let other people dictate how to spend YOUR day. It is about you and your fiancé.

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

Timeline

Mine was a bit of a mess to be honest.. My husbands family couldnt come because it was in the UK, my mums side of the family didnt want to come (many reasons, all of which are stupid) and my dads side didnt come because we didnt want it to be unfair or too one sided. We did it with 3 friends and my mum (who later ruined it by saying she hated it during the meal.. Out of the 3 friends, one wore a hoody and jeans, another looked like a hooker and her partner was the only one who made an effort!). Now i wish that we just didnt tell anybody and used people who worked there for witnesses.

So.. What im saying is, dont let other people dictate how to spend YOUR day. It is about you and your fiancé.

That is crazy!!! I don't know why I need to make wedding such a big deal. It is just a way to extend our relationship as bf/gf. We live our life the same way as before. This might sound naive but really reflect what I think.

September, 2011, we made the most stupid mistake we could have, sending out packet I-129 application without putting in a single page of supporting document.
January 20, 2012, I flew to Dallas to prepare the packet and sent out the fiance petition
July 16,2012, I sent out my Packet 3 (I did not call Montreal to confirm if they have sent out my Packet 3)

Timeline

Ive attended some court weddings. Youd be surprised how nice they are. Bring guests, make them dress up and go to a nice dinner after.. you can still have it look like a small intimate wedding celebration :)

have someone with a nice camera take pics!

Your wedding pics looked sweet :-) . Congrats on the news :-)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My wife wanted simple, we went to Las Vegas. Do what the two of you want.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife wanted simple, we went to Las Vegas. Do what the two of you want.

X2....do what you want. We will do civil and then after AOS, do a nice church wedding in her hometown. Good luck!

January 15, 2012 met on line

April 18, 2012 met in person in Cebu

April 20, 2012 proposed

May 28, 2012 filed K1

June 6, 2012 received email K1 accepted.

August 28, 2012 NOA2 approved!!!!!!!

September 21, 2012 went back for vist number 2

Had a wonderful time!

Interview set for November 6

Flying out November 3 to be together

Arrived November 4

November 6, 2013 interview and approved

November 14, 2013 picked up visa!

November 29, 2013 arrived in Anchorage

November 30, 2013 applied for marriage license

December 15, 2013 civil wedding

February 16, 2013 AOS filed

February 23, 2013 NOA 1 reviewed

April 4, 2013 Biometric appointment

May 9, 2013 AOS intervie

May 9, 2013 Approved ap, ead and green card

May 18, 2013 received Green Card, EAD and AP in mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

You can also pick a nice scenic spot and go there with a officiant. My city has lots of great places and I bet yours does, too.

Hint--if you want to reduce the drama-makers, pick a place that requires a drive or a small hike and/or is outdoors.

Ours was small and informal with the friends and family that were willing to make the 3 hour drive. The ceremony was on a hilltop in an open-air wedding chapel. A handful of people came, we all went to a small family restaurant afterwards (no alcohol-so less drama and expense!), and then, to be silly, we went bowling as a group. We had the details that we wanted with a celebration that marked the importance of the occasion.

You can find lots of great ideas online and here. Simple can still be very memorable.

Something else to keep in mind, though, with all that is going on. You wedding is one of the best occasions to show your own authority in your life. You are now going to be a team with your spouse and cannot allow the pushiness of everyone else--otherwise, you could be setting a precedent for the future when you have other big decisions and a family. Unless those people are going to be sleeping with you, don't allow them to overrule your decisions.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

I think you should really do what YOU want to do! Its YOUR big day! Not everyone falls into that "big wedding" category! I personally wanted a quiet beach wedding at first.. a few friends, no family, beautiful and peaceful. But after everything we have been through... I would marry Erkan in a truck stop bathroom if it meant I got to spend the rest of my life with him! At this point we are just going to do a courthouse wedding, quick and done... in a few years we will have a bigger ceremony on the beach- hopefully in Miami somewhere! I wish you luck and don't get pressured into anything, its your big day and you 2 have been through a lot. Do what makes you happy! Just make sure u find somewhere for a great honeymoon, you two deserve it!!!

05/02/12 - I-129F sent

5/04/12 - I-129F NOA1

11/15/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (6.5 months!!)

11/29/12 - NVC Received

12/10/12 - USEM Case Received

12/12/12 - Packet 3

12/21/12 - Packet 4

1/16/13 - Medical Exam

1/17/13 - Interview- computers crashed.... or so they claim!

1/28/13 - New interview date- Admin. Processing

2/4/13 - Denial- No waiver can apply

July 14 2013 - Moved to Vienna with my dog and 3 suitcases!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You should do what you want to do. They are right. This is YOUR wedding and YOU get to choose what you want to do.

If anyone else thinks you should have a grand wedding, tell them they can plan a huge party, pay for it and advise you of date, time and venue, so that you can be present adn they can be happy! (This is the everyone-wins situation...)

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.