nica

Adjusting status on a tourist visa

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I went the K1 route but was told by an Immigration Lawyer to come in on the VWP, marry and adjust. Same for the B2 btw.

If I was doing it again knowing what I know now I should have taken his advice.

Most of the people I have met in real life seem to have done it this way.

Problems, well I am a worrier so I would have had issues with that, practically the only time I have seen it as an issue is when it has been made too obvious to ignore. The one I remember from years back was he came to NY, they married and went on a cruise, came back and filed the following day.

But that was many years ago.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Isn't it pretty obvious that you planned to immigrate if, before you entered, you quit your job, sold your house, moved your belongings here, etc? Aren't there material ways they can check on "intent to immigrate"?

The point is they don't check and they don't ask what your intentions were. They get the paperwork and process it. If its a proven marriage and not a fake one for a greencard, it should go straight through like anybody else adjusting status from a K1 or work visa, for example. If there was really something that went wrong in the process, like they couldn't come up with a sponsor Or didn't reply to an RFE, then AOS could be denied. So if denied, then however long they overstayed would be on their record. Also with VWP, there is no appeal if denied ...you leave the country. Don't know about tourist visas.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

The point is they don't check and they don't ask what your intentions were. They get the paperwork and process it. If its a proven marriage and not a fake one for a greencard, it should go straight through like anybody else adjusting status from a K1 or work visa, for example. If there was really something that went wrong in the process, like they couldn't come up with a sponsor Or didn't reply to an RFE, then AOS could be denied. So if denied, then however long they overstayed would be on their record. Also with VWP, there is no appeal if denied ...you leave the country. Don't know about tourist visas.

I understand that the paperwork part goes through like anything else... but they don't ask any questions at the interview? Husband and wife living together in the U.S., one on a tourist visa, entered the U.S. right after marriage... I get that a lot of people manage to get through it okay, but isn't there a chance that the consulate officer would ask about all that?

I still don't get how there's so much disagreement over whether this process is legal or whether it's advisable. I was advised by people on this forum (and others like it) that adjusting status from VWP could get you in serious trouble. That's why I went with I-130. Is that just wrong information? Is there NO risk of being caught?

USCIS (221 days)
07-13-2011 -- I-130 sent
07-15-2011 -- I-130 NOA1 received in the mail
02-21-2012 -- I-130 NOA2 approved

NVC (26 days)
02-24-2012 -- NVC receives application
03-21-2012 -- Case completed at NVC

Consulate (50 days)
04-05-2012 -- Interview date assigned
05-01-2012 -- Medical
05-21-2012 -- Interview - Approved
05-25-2012 -- Received visa

06-03-2012 -- POE!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas; discussion is about the AOS process from a tourist visa.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

The system is stupid and needs changing.

However given that it is the way it is, personally I could only ever do it the "proper" way.

However I don't want to scare people away with biased advice, so I try to balance my comments by telling people what they can do. And I honestly do want the best for everyone so I'm more than happy for someone who happens to be in the US with no knowledge of the process and then adjusts status. In your friend's (acquaintance?) case, her husband has already uprooted himself from Mexico and is currently in the US. He may as well adjust status. There really isn't a risk of being denied, not really. The only person I'm actually a little annoyed at is someone vaguely related to me who bugged me for immigration advice and then did the VWP/AOS thing despite having plenty of time to have done it correctly...

A little while ago there was a potential problem with adjusting status from VWP. Or maybe it was just VWP with overstay. I can't remember. But there were delays and maybe even denials, can't remember. But that has since been resolved so there is no longer that concern.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just a note- stop calling it the "i-130" that is just 1 form and you file it when you adjust status in the country, using a k-3 and I am sure with other visas too. You don't want to confuse people.

In regards to the adjusting on a tourist visa/ vwp etc. It all comes down to intent, if you can be proved to have had intent to immigrate when you entered the country. That being said, CBP is trained to not let people in who have the intention to stay SO generally those who are in the country were said to not have intent to immigrate. Make sense?

Uscis, I believe does not try too hard to prove intent to stay - the visitor was proven without intent when they entered supposedly.

Some would say there are pros and cons from adjusting from a vwp or tourist visa.

Some would say it's also a moral issue and people are jumping the queue and it isn't fair.

Many people come to the US using the CR-1, K-1 and many people adjust from vwp or tourist visa with and without previous intent.

It's all about what you're prepared to do, give up, risk and I guess your morals too.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Im doing the I-130 and like JoannaV I couldnt have done it any other way.

Sadly it seems we're the people likely to get stopped and grilled and denied entry if we try to legitimately visit our husbands whilst the visa is in process because theyre worried we will AOS once in the US.I wish they did some kind of disclaimer you could sign saying you'd leave the country and not file for AOS and finish the process properly and legally if it meant you could visit without fear of being denied.

This whole process seems a lottery,and I guess it also depends on personal situations too.

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

it is illegal to enter the US on a non-immigrant visa with the intent to immigrate. People are asked about their intent at interview sometimes, so yes, it can come up. Intent by itself is not enough to deny an AOS application, but combined with other factors, it can be. What makes this plan worse, is if the plan at POE starts to go awry, causing the immigrant to lie to gain entry. Misrepresentation at POE can make you inadmissible for life.

If you tell the CBP that you plan to immigrate, they will deny your entry. I am quite surprised the person above was allowed in. Often people are denied entry for presumption of the above.

It's not a question of morals or sneakiness or a gray area; it's simply not the proper procedure. USCIS does understand that once here, it is overly bureaucratic to force someone to go home just to interview, which is why this exists.

Lynddy, we've told you you can visit, and you still are paranoid and complaining about how you imagine being grilled, yet it hasn't happened yet!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

We didn't realize what we were doing was illegal and had we known, we would probably have done differently. When he was going through immigration at DIA, they asked him how long he was intending to stay and he told them that he planned on settling in and finding a job and got sent straight to the naughty room! They even hand wrote on his passport that if he did not leave by the specified date (3 months from arrival), then he would not be allowed back in. After we got married and sent in the visa documents, we set up an interview with info pass and they told us that it would be okay. They read the note from TSA and said that people do it all the time. I think we were lucky but I have read that people who are even here illegally (stay past their visa date) go through fine. I am not saying that this is right but I do think if your friend married her husband and he's here, they should try the whole thing like we did (I485, I130, I765) and not do it one at a time as that seems riskier if he's already here! Just my thought :)

USCIS has access to any document your husband signed when they check immigration status. It gets a bit more tricky if CBP officer decided to stamp "NO AOS" in passport. Not because it's illegal to AOS with that stamp, or that AOS will be denied for sure. But because it may attract USCIS' attention to the intent when entering the country. That intent is usually not even mentioned at the interview though. Since your husband was let into the country, he must've convinced the officer that he wasn't trying to immigrate, otherwise he would've been refused entry, or had his tourist visa cancelled on the spot. I agree with Harpa that your husband was lucky he was even admitted to the US.

Illegal immigrants enter without being inspected. They cannot adjust their status because there's nothing to adjust from. Your husband is adjusting from a tourist visa, and after his legal stay is up, he is in the US unlawfully but not illegally.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Im sorry Harpa.....

Ive had two awful experiences with a nasty officer,yes its affected me so I am 'paranoid'

Thanks for making me feel even worse.

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Life is full of risks, we all choose which ones we accept and which ones we do not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Im doing the I-130 and like JoannaV I couldnt have done it any other way.

Sadly it seems we're the people likely to get stopped and grilled and denied entry if we try to legitimately visit our husbands whilst the visa is in process because theyre worried we will AOS once in the US.I wish they did some kind of disclaimer you could sign saying you'd leave the country and not file for AOS and finish the process properly and legally if it meant you could visit without fear of being denied.

This whole process seems a lottery,and I guess it also depends on personal situations too.

There is a sworn statement you can sign however it won't stop people from being in the country for 10 or 20 years after they enter, even if it means staying unlawfully and working illegally/no driver's license etc. There are so many examples of that, and of people misusing tourist visas which might be one reason why CBP officers' screening may seem a bit harsh.

I am all for people not trying to adjust from tourist visas unless it was an emergency along the lines of how to get a petition expedited - that some criterias had to be established in order to AOS from nonimmigrant visas.

However, you do get stopped and grilled when being the spouse of a US citizen(sometimes), mostly because it is a strong tie to the US rather than to your home country.

We're not trying to make you feel bad. Most of all, people come on VJ to prepare or educate themselves on the process, others for support. Some users only state the fact without smileys. I'm also one of them and it's not to make the words seem harsh, it's only to make the message shine through with the raw facts.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Im sorry Harpa.....

Ive had two awful experiences with a nasty officer,yes its affected me so I am 'paranoid'

Thanks for making me feel even worse.

Be confident in your decisions and try not to let CBP get to you.

Use the people on this board as a test run. If something they says gets to you, think about it, take a breath and reply like it has not phased you in the slightest :) Fake it till you make it ;)

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

"intent" is a state of mind, not an action, so how could one prove conclusively what "intent" was? USCIS also collects a sizable fee for AOS, as opposed to a much smaller fee for the I-130 petition for someone going the IR/CR route, so I don't think they really have incentive to make AOSing too difficult.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

isnt that considered immigration fraud, as the tourist visa is purely for visiting purposes not for staying beyond the 6 months mark (or however long the person gets)?

I read it can go both ways, either they AOS successfully or the non-citizen spouse gets booted out and barred from entry into the US for a certain amount of time, a risk which i definitely would not want to take.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.