afoyoswa

Wedding Plans Thread

122 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

Totally love these types of threads, considering I frequent lots of wedding blogs as well :-)

Been planning our wedding since almost the day that we got engaged (maybe before haha), and we were originally hoping for an early October wedding but my fiance's interview is not until then so we are going to have a "courthouse wedding" (pretty much, sign the papers) when we first arrive in the US and our "official/family/real (in my mind) wedding" will be April 13, 2013.

I already have my wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses. We are making our own invitations and save the dates (and some other things, I'm pretty crafty). Our ceremony will be a gazebo (my dream) and our reception will in my parent's back yard under a huge tent. Think rustic + casual. I'm not a fancy type of person so I want a PARTY and not anything too formal for the reception. Our theme is travel, so we will have a lot of maps, planes, globes, etc. since we met online and then I traveled to come live here with him :) Having lots of Hispanic traditions (the Arras at the ceremony, our first dance song is in Spanish and English, our ceremony will be bilingual, plus other things). We have our caterer, he can do Honduran food so we will have a mix of our cultures in the food AND we are having a grill ummm can you say YUM? I'm super stoked about it!

I cannot wait!! I've totally stopped wedding planning lately though because I'm overseas and I can't do anything haha, but when I land in the US, it will be game on!! I'm so excited and happy to marry the love of my life, and hopefully it won't rain that day (we have no back up plan).

Love reading the blogs at WeddingBee, so if anyone is a DIY Bride, head over there! They do amazing things!!

Kate

Edited by kate&javi

El destino me ha unido a vos.

I-129F K1 Visa Process
[01.18.2012] Sent I-129F Petition
[01.20.2012] NOA1
[06.13.2012] NOA2 - no RFE's
[07.09.2012] Petition received at NVC; case number assigned
[07.11.2012] Petition sent to Honduras consulate
[07.13.2012] Consulate received petition package
[08.07.2012] Received interview date & Packet 4 in email
[10.10.2012] Interview smile.png - APPROVED!
[10.18.2012] POE Houston
[10.29.2012] Marriage <3

I-485 AOS Process
[12.14.2012] Sent I-485 Package with I-765
[12.19.2012] NOA1
[12.24.2012] Biometrics letter received
[01.02.2013] RFE notice
[01.05.2013] RFE hardcopy received
[01.07.2013] Biometrics appointment
[03.04.2013] RFE sent back to USCIS
[03.19.2013] EAD approved
[03.27.2013] EAD arrived in the mail

[09.21.2013] I-485 approved

[09.26.2013] Green card sent in mail

We never thought of doing anything big, we still keeping things pretty small but from the initial idea of having a courthouse wedding we moved on to a civil wedding in a small chapel in California, where all his family live Followed by a dinner in a 1020's old hotel with catered food. My fiance's sisters are helping arranging most of it, for which I am so grateful as we all know it can be a bit tricky otherwise!

I'm gonna do the wedding invitations from here, just bought some lovely handmade paper and will be preparing them in the next few days :)

Most of all I am looking forward to our first night in a luxury hotel room (thanks to his mum!) and to the trip around California! I JUST can't wait, especially since VISA is here, in my hands already!!! It's just looking at me and telling me: leave NOW!

Ah, the wedding is on 10th November!

K1

23 Jan 2012: sent I-129F

01 Feb 2012: received hard copy NOA1

28 June 2012: NOA2

18 July 2012: LND case number

25 July 2012: sent packet 3 docs

28 July 2012: Packet 3 received

30 July 2012: medical done

09 Aug 2012: Packet 4 received

14 Aug 2012 8am: interview: APPROVED!

20 Aug 2012: VISA received!!

06 Oct 2012: POE in Anchorage (AK)

10 Nov 2012: Wedding in California

AOS

Jan 03, 2013: package sent to Chicago!

Jan 10, 2013: email/text notification of receipt of all 3!

Jan 19, 2013: biometric letter received

Jan 30, 2013: biometric appointment at 12pm

Mar 06, 2013: EAD/AP card in production

Mar 12, 2013: received interview appointment letter

Mar 15, 2013: EAD/AP combo card received!

Mar 21, 2013: Interview in Anchorage..APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Totally love these types of threads, considering I frequent lots of wedding blogs as well :-)

Been planning our wedding since almost the day that we got engaged (maybe before haha), and we were originally hoping for an early October wedding but my fiance's interview is not until then so we are going to have a "courthouse wedding" (pretty much, sign the papers) when we first arrive in the US and our "official/family/real (in my mind) wedding" will be April 13, 2013.

Bahahaha... you sound totally like me :D

Tom and I both agreed on the rock and roll, 50's theme before we were even engaged! We both started pulling up different blogs/pictures/pinterest images etc.

Your wedding sounds awesome! Love the travel theme :)

I read the boards at WeddingBee every once in a while, but I haven't signed up for them... I don't think I can handle another message board/blog type site right now! LOL

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Moving from K-1 Process to Moving Here/Life in America.

Um, okay. The idea was to create a space for people in the midst of the K-1 process to talk about wedding plans, actually, since we're all engaged, and since wedding planning for K-1 folks involves some issues that general wedding planning does not. It wasn't meant to be a general wedding thread.

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Oh, wow: I tried that one on! It wasn't quite right for me, but it *was* gorgeous! I think we will all have to come back and post our wedding photos after the fact so that we can see each other in all these beautiful dresses.

Today's wedding progress: my two flower girls said "yes"! I've been their babysitter for 6 years (they're 7 and 9) so I'm really thrilled that they'll get to be part of the celebration. They've never been to a wedding before, and they are SO excited!

It almost (but not quite) makes up for the fact that my parents are still behaving very, very immaturely. I get that things did not unfold quite to their liking, but that doesn't mean they get to spend 7 months (and counting) acting (alternately) very grumpy/indifferent no matter what I do. It's not possible to please them, so I think it's well past time to quit trying. But psst, dad? Asking about the well-being of my *car*, but not my fiance? Nice one!

How are everyone else's families reacting to your plans (wedding or otherwise)?

Edited by afoyoswa

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

We are aiming for a small wedding as well, since I just have some friends in Rapid and no family, so it's going to be all Patrick's family!

We will have the ceremony in here

http://www.chapel-in-the-hills.org/. I've visited the place and really like it. Then were thinking of a small reception at the backyard of our House, which is huge and kind of under a tent. No back up plan if it rains hah...

Well that's just an idea cause things might change....;)

Dec 22- I129F sent TSC
Dec 27- txt/email NOA1
Dec 29- NOA1 Hard Copy Received
May 31- RFE text/email...oh wells ....
June 05- RFE letter
June 06 - RFE sent
June 11- RFE received at CSC
June 15- NOA2!!!!!!!!!!! So great!!!!!!!
July 16- NVC Received Case
September 27 - Interview Approved
October 10- POE NEW YORK
November 17- Wedding day
December 24- AOS Package sent
UQKwp2.png

aYJpp2.png

We already married, but we have a date of 10/21/12 for our big wedding in my wifes country.

Interestingly enough most of the arrangements already made, restaurant, music, photography and video, all the flight is already booked as well. Even the wedding dress :), the only thing left is the church and choir (this was my request to her), so my wife will fly earlier to take care of those things prior to my arrival, my best man and my family.

So I am really hopping for a nice wedding day, hopefully the weather will not be that bad ;)

Goog luck everyone on their plans.

Edited by Oksana & Max
event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

wow i was looking for wedding dresses when i saw this thread, we are also planning on our wedding..i will be arriving in US at mybe august 30 or first week of september.. we are planning to have the wedding on october last week or first week of november.. we are also planning to have a church wedding..and a simple reception in the hotel..since this process is expensive we plan to have the honeymoon next time after we have save up for the house first because we want to buy a house before we get married.. i feel bad a little because only my fiance will pay for the expenses since I am living in philippines and i dont have savings either so we plan for a simple wedding.. its not important to have the big wedding though , because the most important is to have a wedding where you will marry the one you love the most..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

We had our courthouse wedding over a year ago but in less than two weeks from now, we will be having a big wedding reception with lots of family and friends.

We are really excited about everything and it should be a wonderful party, but my husband's parents were denied tourist visas about 1 month ago. It was a huge disappointment and while we knew that this could happen, it was still much harder to accept the fact that some of the most important people that should be at our wedding will not be able to come. I just really hoped that it would work out. But these results have made planning pretty difficult :(

However, as we all know, you can't make it sanely through this immigration process unless you have a strong relationship with the one you love. (L) The show will go on but it does feel a little silly to throw a big party when my husband's family can't be there.

Timeline

How are everyone else's families reacting to your plans (wedding or otherwise)?

My parents, and pretty much all of my family, are happy about the wedding/Tom/etc. (The one thing that they've been kind of pressuring me about is not having it in May, even though I picked a Canadian long weekend so that they have an extra day to travel. They'd rather us have the wedding in the summer, so that it's easier to get out of work - I have a lot of teachers in the family - but really, they'll find a way to be there for me, so it's not a huge deal.)

The one person we're having issues with is my brother/his wife. We've had issues with him for a few years now. He hasn't actually spoken to me since October (we previously used to be very close). Basically my brother and sister-in-law are huge busybodies, who think they can control everyone's life. Even before Tom came to live with me, they were judging our relationship, saying stuff like "well, can't she find someone in this country?" etc etc. So it all came to a head right around my birthday in October.

I asked my mom to ask him if I could ask his girls (my two nieces) to be flower girls, and he said yes... but he was absolutely SHOCKED when I went to his house (with my parents) in April to ask them. He didn't say a WORD to me. The girls both said yes - but I honestly have no idea if they'll even come to the wedding.

Yesterday was the last day to RSVP for the Jack and Jill shower we're having next month, and, you guessed it - my brother didn't RSVP - so my mother is going to call him out on it today, and we'll see what he ends up saying... (I'm guessing he'll say no, because my sister-in-law is pregnant, and she'll use that as an excuse why she can't come...)

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Thanks for the kind words about my dress :) I'm really happy about it. And that's cool that you tried it on too, Joy! I wasn't prepared for how heavy wedding dresses are, especially that one! Now I have to figure out what to do with my hair....

The one person we're having issues with is my brother/his wife. We've had issues with him for a few years now. He hasn't actually spoken to me since October (we previously used to be very close). Basically my brother and sister-in-law are huge busybodies, who think they can control everyone's life. Even before Tom came to live with me, they were judging our relationship, saying stuff like "well, can't she find someone in this country?" etc etc. So it all came to a head right around my birthday in October.

I'm sorry to hear that. People get weird when it comes to weddings. My aunt was upset that I didn't invite her dress shopping when I picked out my dress, and it took her a few months to talk to me again. Perhaps your brother is resenting the fact that you getting married means you move far from home, and he's obviously not dealing with it in a very mature way. I don't know your brother, but I hope he can get over it so that he can be a participant in your happiness. He'll regret it if he doesn't.

October 2007- Became friends gaming onlineJanuary 16, 2009- Met in person in UKDecember 25, 2011- Ten visits later, engaged!February 24, 2012- I-129F SentFebruary 29, 2012- NOA 1 ReceivedJuly 13, 2012- RFE email sad.pngJuly 20, 2012-RFE response mailed to CSCJuly 24, 2012-RFE response reviewJuly 26, 2012-NOA2!!!!July 30, 2012-NOA2 Hardcopy ReceivedAugust 3, 2012-NVC received case and forwarded to LondonAugust 6, 2012-Case received by LondonAugust 13, 2012-Packet 3 sent out by consulateAugust 15, 2012-Packet 3 receivedAugust 23, 2012-Mailed affidavit and original forms to Rob via express mailAugust 30, 2012-MedicalSeptember 3, 2012-Packet 3 sent to embassy with DS-2001September 4, 2012-Packet 3 and DS-2001 arrive in LondonSeptember 26, 2012-Packet 4 receivedOctober 11, 2012- lnterview- Result: APPROVEDOctober 18, 2012-Visa in handNovember 15, 2012- POE-ORDNovember 21, 2012- Legal wedding!!November 30, 2012- Applied for SSNDecember 7, 2012- SSN card came in mailDecember 20, 2012- AOS/EAD/AP sent outDecember 27, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP Text/email confirmationDecember 31, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 received in mailJanuary 22, 2013-Biometrics appointmentFebruary 15, 2013- EAD/AP approvedFebruary 27, 2013- EAD/AP card arrived in mailApril 6, 2013- Big family wedding!!August 12, 2013-AOS text/email- APPROVED!! <p>May 16, 2015- ROC package sent to CSC August 15, 2015- ROC Approved!

Timeline

I'm sorry to hear that. People get weird when it comes to weddings. My aunt was upset that I didn't invite her dress shopping when I picked out my dress, and it took her a few months to talk to me again. Perhaps your brother is resenting the fact that you getting married means you move far from home, and he's obviously not dealing with it in a very mature way. I don't know your brother, but I hope he can get over it so that he can be a participant in your happiness. He'll regret it if he doesn't.

Hah, no, I think he's just a jerk and a lost cause. He hasn't spoken to my sister for years now, because he was upset at her choice in husband.

Oh well... better off without him, in this case!

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

We're planning very small and cheap. We're hoping to get married September 10th 2012. We're just going to his grandmas place, his grandmas sister is going to wed us. We're doing more of the sign the papers (legal part) and maybe a smaller ceremony deal, then there will be a smaller cake. We're only planning on having around 10 people there for the legal part. We're having a bigger party in October with a big cake, food and present giving and roughly 30 or so coming, no ceremony just a good time. The second party in October is the actual party thing, since that's when some of my family might be able to come visit as well. =D We're just doing our own thing pretty much.

I feel this post might be messy o.0 I'm writing in the dark.

Our Visa Journey
2007 - Met on online forums and became friends, started chatting on MSN.
2009 - Became 'boyfriend & girlfriend' and started discussing me (Anna) going to the US to visit.
2010 summer - Went to the US for the first time, stayed for a month.
Got engaged july 26th 2010.
2011 - Visited for the second time, stayed 2 months.

The K-1 Journey
2011-11-01 Sent in the I129F
2011-11-09 NOA1
2012-03-23 NOA2
2012-04-16 packet 3 received
2012-06-07 packet 3 sent
2012-06-14 packet 4 received
2012-07-18 Interview, got 221g to send in original signed I-134 (they kept passport)
2012-08-01 Visa Received
2012-08-26 Going to the US (POE will be Chicago, Ill.)
2012-09-09 Married

The AOS Journey
2012-11-01 Sent in I-485, I-131, and I-765 with all payments made.
2012-11-07 Got text NOA for all three.
2012-11-07 Bill paid (Shown taken out of account)
2012-11-09 NOA1 Hardcopy received for all three.
2012-11-29 Biometrics Appointment

2013-07-10 I-485 approved

2013-07-15 Green card production ordered

2013-07-16 Green card mailed

2013-07-29 Green card recieved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wanted to do something very small since this is round 2 for me and we're both older but this is his first and his Mom is sooo excited about it and is traveling down with other family memembers so I had to do something a little bigger. My dear friend came to the rescue and offered the park behind her house for the ceremony and the reception in her backyard. We are thinking about 50 people now. I'm lucky that I have friends that are excited about helping me plan it.

Now to find a dress....ugh.

Oh, and I'm not inviting my brother and sister-in-law. Long story...

Edited by sk8rpatty

May 2008: Met on the Carnival Paradise
2008-2012: 20 Cruises, 8 vacations, many wonderful moments
May 2012: Engaged!

K-1
May 17 2012: I-129F Sent
May 22 2012: NOA1
Aug 17 2012: NOA2
Aug 28 2012: Left NVC
Aug 29 2012: Vancouver Consolate Received
Sept 7 2012: Package 3 received
Sept 18 2012: Package 4 received
Nov 20 2012: Medical
Nov 26 2012: Interview - APPROVED!
Dec 01 2012: POE
Jan 12 2013: Wedding!
AOS
Jan 26 2013: AOS Sent
Jan 31 2013: NOA1 eMail
Mar 06 2013: Feb 13 2013 (walk-in) Biometrics Appt
Mar 28 2013: EAD/AP Approval
April 02 2013: Interview - APPROVED!
April 05 2013: EAD/AP Card received
April 10 2013: Greencard ARRIVED!!

ROC

Jan 12 2015: I-751 Sent

Jan 16 2015: Received NOA1. Receipt date: Jan 13th

Feb 19 2015: Biometrics

June 10 2015: APPROVED!

June 18 2015: Greencard Arrived!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

We are still waiting for our NOA2, but i already have some things planned and done. We will have a very small wedding, vintage style decorations.

We will wait until Im there so that we can decide on an exact date and place.. but Im swooning over small backyard weddings.. lights in the tree branches..woods in the background.

I do have my dress already. Bought it on ebay and since Im very personal with a sewing machine I did the alterations myself.

Right now Im beading the bodice and let me tell you - I have newly descovered amount of respect for anything beaded!

I work for hours and only cover 5cm2! But I already love it and cant wait to wear it.

Im just not the type of person who would spent a lot of money on a wedding dress, a dress for just one day. I would much rather buy a designer bag, shoes or leather jacket, if I had to spend the money on just one thing only :)

Please, dont take my personal opinion as a critique of all of you who feel differently.

I found this amazing site where besides wedding ideas I found templates for our invitations. Just some nice paper, decoration and envelopes and we are done. We will only have around 30 people total, so we can save on some things and splurge on others, while still staying within the budget.

Here is the site:

http://www.weddingchicks.com/freebies/

I do feel sad my family wont be able to attend, cause of the visas, plane ticket costs etc. So we will just make a smaller celebration when we get back to Croatia for a visit.

Edited by Galla

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Croatia
I-129F Sent : 2012-03-06
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-03-22
RFE 1: 2012-9-26
I-129F NOA2 : 2012-10-23
INTERVIEW DATE: 2012-11-26 - PASSED
VISA ISSUED: 2012-11-27
POA MIAMI-FL: 2012-12-08
WEDDING: 2013-02-16
AOS FILED 2013-03-05
BIOMETRICS: 2013-03-29

AOS SERVICE REQUEST: 2013-10-31

GC CARD: 2014-3-7

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.