AmberAnne

Fiance letter of intent to marry

14 posts in this topic

So my Fiance sent me an expedited copy of his signed letter of intent and g-325...

and i just noticed the FILING location is listed as the embassy consulate in buenos aires... which we originally thought was correct... now i feel this is incorrect... and the filing location should be in texas...

am i right in assuming this letter is now incorrect?

i am so disappointed...

clarity please!!!

So my Fiance sent me an expedited copy of his signed letter of intent and g-325...

and i just noticed the FILING location is listed as the embassy consulate in buenos aires... which we originally thought was correct... now i feel this is incorrect... and the filing location should be in texas...

am i right in assuming this letter is now incorrect?

i am so disappointed...

clarity please!!!

and is it incredibly NOT okay if i just cover the address with a white mailing sticker with the CORRECT address listed?

help please!

and is it incredibly NOT okay if i just cover the address with a white mailing sticker with the CORRECT address listed?

help please!

post-126516-0-91731300-1345257223_thumb.jpg

this is the address that we put - apparently i was confused and thought the correct address was for the interview location... NOT the filing location...

is it possible for me to just use a typed white mailing sticker to cover the address and correct the problem?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It will not matter. The most important thing is that it states you are legally able and willing to marry and will do so within 90 days of entering the US with a K-1 visa, and has an original signature. The address on the letter is not even a requirement, so do not stress so much over it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

It shouldn't matter, my fiancees was not even addressed.

One thing that would matter though is messing with it.

thank you

It will not matter. The most important thing is that it states you are legally able and willing to marry and will do so within 90 days of entering the US with a K-1 visa, and has an original signature. The address on the letter is not even a requirement, so do not stress so much over it.

thank you for your response!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

People seem to be very hung up on the requirement being for a "letter" of intent, but the I-129F official instructions from the USCIS (Page 2, 5B) indicate that you must:

"Provide original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission..."

This is from the official instructions found here.

I'm not sure how nor where the whole "letter" thing came about, so the address is fairly meaningless either way.

Edited by Brad & Kat

People seem to be very hung up on the requirement being for a "letter" of intent, but the I-129F official instructions from the USCIS (Page 2, 5B) indicate that you must:

"Provide original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission..."

I'm not sure how nor where the whole "letter" thing came about, so the address is fairly meaningless either way.

I know my lawyer at the time made us do official letters, lol. Then again she was pretty useless so I wouldn't take her word for much. I suppose it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. When filing for a visa to have your loved one here, I think people don't want to chance it.

Total elapsed time between filing I-129F to GC in hand 569 days or 1 Year, 6 months, 22 days.

The letter in its entirety is a formality. Sure, you can write your "statements" on a post-it note if you like. I wouldn't suggest it though. The address isn't required because it is included with your petition. It is fine to leave it alone with your intending consulate address on there. That is its final destination anyway. You can do the very same thing with your updated letter of intent that you bring to the interview.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

personally I don't even understand the purpose of this letter at all, it is not a binding contract and you don't have to get married just because you wrote this letter, they can derive all the info, whether you can get married and that you petition for your fiance which means you are going to get married to this person, from the form itself, so that letter doesn't even make sense, but then again I've dealt with ins for many years and they do a lot of things that don't make sense :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

personally I don't even understand the purpose of this letter at all, it is not a binding contract and you don't have to get married just because you wrote this letter, they can derive all the info, whether you can get married and that you petition for your fiance which means you are going to get married to this person, from the form itself, so that letter doesn't even make sense, but then again I've dealt with ins for many years and they do a lot of things that don't make sense :)

This arcane immigration system is not meant to be understood, likely quite the opposite. They just changed their name and uniform after 9/11. You can put lipstick on a pig, but in the end it is still just a pig.... :lol:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

This arcane immigration system is not meant to be understood, likely quite the opposite. They just changed their name and uniform after 9/11. You can put lipstick on a pig, but in the end it is still just a pig.... :lol:

Indeed good.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The whole "letter" thing came about because it was found to satisfy the "original statements" requirement every time, without question. When you find something that works it's a good idea to stick with it.

And you're right - the address it's addressed to is entirely irrelevant. It's the written statement that matters.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

The whole "letter" thing came about because it was found to satisfy the "original statements" requirement every time, without question. When you find something that works it's a good idea to stick with it.

And you're right - the address it's addressed to is entirely irrelevant. It's the written statement that matters.

thank you all

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.