Hatem&Zeinab

Big Big Problem.... Please need help and advice!!

124 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I do not think you got screwed. To the contrary. If you did not get Medicaid you would pay out of pocket anyway, right? Now you will just pay back the same money, and probably even less since Medicaid rates are lower. You can even pay probably over period of time. She was already pregnant so it does not make any difference in your case. Correct me if I am wrong.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hmmm my first thought was, how can you get medicare for your pregnant wife?

surely you would have to earn x amount in order to bring her into the country on a visa, thus rendering you ineligable for medicare.

Secondly, your wife is not eligable to be a burdon on the state that is why they have a stipulation of earning x amount ayear to support the non citizen.

Third, did you not have a medical plan through private means or work related?

which with her added could have helped.

Do you have the confirmation paperwork that says as a GC holder your eligable to be covered?

if so then see a lawyer to fight your case, good luck.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Oh, come on, you knew it was a mistake from the moment they've approved it, since it is stated clearly that the LPR is only eligible for emergency medicaid (in your case, giving birth).

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Unfortunatly you will have to pay... Legal permanent residents (immigrants with green cards) are ineligible for Medicaid during their first five years in the U.S.

Medicaid is federal means. And she could be consider a public charge. Therefore you as her SPONSOR should be responsible for any means for her. Call and set up a payment plan otherwise it can get set to collections, and you will still have to be responsible to may a payment.

Good Luck!

~* GodsGift225*~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, My name is Hatem. I am a US citizen, my wife is a green card holder. She got her green card a year ago, through marriage to me. She was pregnant. I applied for medicaid for her so it covers her pregnancy. I said on the application that she is not a US citizen. Our case was ineligible.

Few days later, a Medicaid officer called us told us about our case. I told her my wife is not a citizen. She asked me to fax her the green card and all other documents. Few days later, we received a letter saying that her medicaid has been approved, and it they make it start from day 1 of pregnancy till delivery.

Later on, when my baby was born, I got online to add my baby to the household, and I found a check mark next to my wife that she is a US citizen.

I called them and told them to correct it, and now they closed her medicaid, and they say they will make me pay for all the bills they paid, even though I never said or submitted anything claiming she is a citizen!!!

What can I do now? We are looking at thousands of dollars!!

You signed a contract with the United States Government because your wife even came to the country stating that you would NOT allow her to become a public charge. (Food stamps, Medicaid...etc). But you failed to complete that requirement. Why wouldn't you put her on your employer's insurance? You have to have something like that? Why are you making tax payers pay for this? You agreed to not let her become a public burden.

You shouldn't have gotten the help in the first place, as you promised the government something and didn't follow through. Not sure why you are complaining. Work out a payment plan or something. But you shouldn't have "assumed" Medicaid would cover her. Ugh.

K-1 VISA ADVENTURE:
04-01-2012: Engaged in Detroit, Michigan at Comerica Park!
USCIS
05-02-2012: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
05-14-2012: Received Physical NOA1
08-09-2012: Received Physical NOA2
Montreal Embassy
08-21-2012: Package 3
09-06-2012: Package 4
11-12-2012: Medical in Toronto, Ontario (Approved-Went Well! Tip: Make sure you have ALL of your vaccinations up to date when you go to your medical exam! It CAN delay things.
11-19-2012: Interview in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
11-21-2012: Received Passport and Visa Package Back From Montreal (DHL/LOOMIS OPENED OUR SEALED ENVELOPE! SENT BACK TO MONTREAL ON 11-23-2012 TO BE RESEALED)
12-04-2012: Recevied resealed Visa package from Montreal
12-23-2012: POE: Port Huron, Michigan (Everything Went Great!)
02-16-2013: Wedding Date! We're MARRIED!

AOS

06-18-2013: Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06-20-2013: USPS Estimating Package Should Arrive in Chicago

06-24-2013: Received NOA Text and Emails for All Applications

06-27-2013: Received Physical NOAs for AOS, EAD and AP

07-16-2013: Biometrics Appointment

07-29-2013: I-485 Ready for Interview to Be Scheduled!!! YAY!!!! (No EXTREMELY Long Wait!)

08-02-2013: Received Mail with Interview Date!

09-03-2013: Interview in Detroit, Michigan (APPROVED!)

09-04-2013: EAD/AP Approved! (Even though it no longer matters because GC was approved the day before)

09-09-2013: Green Card mailed out via USPS 2-Day Air

09-11-2013: Received 2 Year Conditional Green Card in the Mail

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Unfortunatly you will have to pay... Legal permanent residents (immigrants with green cards) are ineligible for Medicaid during their first five years in the U.S.

Medicaid is federal means. And she could be consider a public charge. Therefore you as her SPONSOR should be responsible for any means for her. Call and set up a payment plan otherwise it can get set to collections, and you will still have to be responsible to may a payment.

Good Luck!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I agree with you.

The mistake was not his or hers, so there is nothing over which to lose sleep. Set up a payment plan and put an end to the drama.

Much ado about nothing.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I do see a judgment here, twice - "you're looking to not pay for something you got." That's not how I read this. He didn't know if she was eligible. He DID ask, and was told no. He accepted that and was looking for alternate methods when *they* contacted *him* to say oh you're in luck, we found a way to get you covered. He thought, "oh, thank goodness" - not knowing that the way they did it was to falsify a piece of information that he clearly gave them *accurately*.

Now, the issue is that if he had researched alternative ways, he would have gotten *assistance* with the situation, as someone in need of help because he did not have coverage. Anyone who has ever had a lapse in coverage knows that medical providers will work with patients of lesser means to assist them in meeting their obligations. Typically, they charge them quite a bit less.

That didn't happen for OP, because medicaid told him he was covered. So his wife's care was billed at full price.

Whatever you might think about the fact that different people pay different amounts for the same services, it's a fact. And the fact is, OP would have been billed less for everything had he used alternative resources to pay for the pregnancy.

So now OP has been billed at the "insured" rate and is being told he has to pay back at that rate. When it's not his fault that he was billed at that rate - he was honest and legitimately believed he was covered. Now what he has to pay back is way more than what his bills would have been had medicaid stayed with their original judgment of turning him down.

That is, in fact, not fair to OP, as it was Medicaid's mistake.

He's not looking not to pay for the care. He's looking to pay what he *legitimately* owes - which is the reduced rate offered to under- or un- insured patients. There's nothing wrong with that.

Just my 2 cents.

M

I agree with this statement partially, I think medicaid rates are actually lower than most insurance carrier rates, which are in turn lower than full rate, only that I am sure they went for check ups every month, sonograms and pills, etc. All things they may not have done had they not been covered, thus adding to the overall bill.

The position the OP is in sucks. But had he stayed turned down for Medicaid, there are church groups and non profit companies and programs for people who lack financial means during pregnancies, many hospitals have free gyn/ob appointments as well as free prenatal care. All these followed by an emergency visit to a hospital where she should be able to get the care she needed for the birthing. These would have been means the OP would have exausted had he not been approved incorrectly.

Good Luck!!!

USCIS:

06/06/2012: Sent I-130 to VSC (as LPR)

06/08/2012: NOA1 (Priority Date)

06/12/2012: Touched

08/20/2012: Mailed VSC request for Upgrade to CR1

08/23/2012: Opened Request with USCIS for Upgrade to CR1

08/27/2012: Got Email confirming upgrade to IR1/CR1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC:

11/16/2012: NVC Received (NVC # not ready)

11/19/2012: BOG number/IIN - Gave emails

11/19/2012: Choice of Agent email sent

11/20/2012: AOS bill invoiced

11/20/2012: AOS bill paid shows in process

11/21/2012: AOS package sent

11/21/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email sent (again)

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email accepted

11/23/2012: IV bill invoiced

11/23/2012: IV bill paid

11/26/2012: IV package sent

11/26/2012: IV bill shows PAID

12/07/2012: AOS accepted

12/10/2012: IV Accepted

12/10/2012: Case complete

12/13/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Bogota:

01/25/2013: Lab Visit

01/28/2013: Medical

01/30/2013: Interview

02/05/2013: Email Waybill (5PM)

02/06/2013: Visa in hand

02/08/2013: POE JFK, NY

You signed a contract with the United States Government because your wife even came to the country stating that you would NOT allow her to become a public charge. (Food stamps, Medicaid...etc). But you failed to complete that requirement. Why wouldn't you put her on your employer's insurance? You have to have something like that? Why are you making tax payers pay for this? You agreed to not let her become a public burden.

You shouldn't have gotten the help in the first place, as you promised the government something and didn't follow through. Not sure why you are complaining. Work out a payment plan or something. But you shouldn't have "assumed" Medicaid would cover her. Ugh.

That's the thing. There a lot of people who sign the AOS but don't read the conditions or they read & comprehend but say 'Pssh'. These same people either end up on the book for thousands of dollars or know with some pinching they can avoid means tested benefits but don't because it's Freeeeeeee.

Anyway Mr 'in a bit of trouble' just save whatever evidence you have that you in fact didn't claim your LPR wife is a USC so that you can more easily resolve your Medicaid issues and in the long run have her still be illegible for Citizenship. As mentioned before a guy claimed citizenship on a federal job app after he passed the test but before his Oath ceremony and now the sh*t is up to his eyeballs. You don't want this problem.

I agree with this statement partially, I think medicaid rates are actually lower than most insurance carrier rates, which are in turn lower than full rate, only that I am sure they went for check ups every month, sonograms and pills, etc. All things they may not have done had they not been covered, thus adding to the overall bill.

The position the OP is in sucks. But had he stayed turned down for Medicaid, there are church groups and non profit companies and programs for people who lack financial means during pregnancies, many hospitals have free gyn/ob appointments as well as free prenatal care. All these followed by an emergency visit to a hospital where she should be able to get the care she needed for the birthing. These would have been means the OP would have exausted had he not been approved incorrectly.

Good Luck!!!

I went into the hospital for a pulmary embolism at the 11 month mark of my employer switching us over to an HSA. They went over my medical history with a fine toothed comb and discovered I had "lied" on my application and resinded my health care insurance. I had to make a few calls to the hospital to get them to understand that I do not have health insurance, but I finally did and was able to get the bill reduced. Since this is Medicaid, and they have already been billed by the hospital and thus have paid the higher amount, you may not be able to get a reduction in the costs. I would contact the person that "helped" you get Medicaid and ask them what you do now. I am sure you can set up a payment schedule. Just make certain you understand the interest rate they are charging you.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I do see a judgment here, twice - "you're looking to not pay for something you got." That's not how I read this. He didn't know if she was eligible. He DID ask, and was told no. He accepted that and was looking for alternate methods when *they* contacted *him* to say oh you're in luck, we found a way to get you covered. He thought, "oh, thank goodness" - not knowing that the way they did it was to falsify a piece of information that he clearly gave them *accurately*.

Now, the issue is that if he had researched alternative ways, he would have gotten *assistance* with the situation, as someone in need of help because he did not have coverage. Anyone who has ever had a lapse in coverage knows that medical providers will work with patients of lesser means to assist them in meeting their obligations. Typically, they charge them quite a bit less.

That didn't happen for OP, because medicaid told him he was covered. So his wife's care was billed at full price.

Whatever you might think about the fact that different people pay different amounts for the same services, it's a fact. And the fact is, OP would have been billed less for everything had he used alternative resources to pay for the pregnancy.

So now OP has been billed at the "insured" rate and is being told he has to pay back at that rate. When it's not his fault that he was billed at that rate - he was honest and legitimately believed he was covered. Now what he has to pay back is way more than what his bills would have been had medicaid stayed with their original judgment of turning him down.

That is, in fact, not fair to OP, as it was Medicaid's mistake.

He's not looking not to pay for the care. He's looking to pay what he *legitimately* owes - which is the reduced rate offered to under- or un- insured patients. There's nothing wrong with that.

Just my 2 cents.

M

Thanks a lot for your comment sir.... I hope everybody here acts the same way you did....

I-129F sent July 26 201

NOA1 date July 29-2010

RFE February

Timeline

I think it is irrelevant what people think or feel. The bottom line: try to work-out terms with Medicaid. Nothing else can do. You will waste money on the lawyer.

Timeline

I am not sure bankruptcy helps with money owned to federal agencies. It sure does not help with tax debt and federal school loans. If he had to pay to hospitals this would help. However, he owes it to the government..

Edited by san diego

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.