yakasushii

Mother vehemently opposed to boyfriend/relationship.

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am a 27 year old Canadian female. My boyfriend is an American citizen, and we met online in October 2009. We became friends over time, and met in person for the first time this year, and became a couple shortly afterwards.

My boyfriend is 31 years old. He has had a tough life, with addictions, got his GED in his late 20s... and is now in college, with aspirations of being a substance abuse therapist. His BIG DREAM is to eventually establish a business devote to helping me with their own addictions.

My mom, who is Chinese, is vehemently opposed to our relationship. I mention she is Chinese because it seems the Chinese culture is understandably effecting her views on him and our relationship. My boyfriend has a part-time job; my mother would only be happy for me to have a partner who has a high-status, well-paying permanent job.

My boyfriend is coming to visit with his father, and my mother does not have any interest in meeting them, nor does she want any involvement with anything pertaining to the relationship. My dad also does not approve of him. I live with my parents but am not at all close with either of them. We are quite distant as it gets.

After telling her today that they were coming to visit, my mother tells me that she has not told other family members about him to save face. It would humiliate her for others to know about him, that her daughter is with a man who doesn't have a "professional" job. She wants nothing to do with him and says that she suffers because I'm in a relationship with him. That she would rather die than continue to live. That she wished she didn't have me. That she will not be able to sleep tonight, and that her blood pressure will get really high, and that she will probably collapse.

And understandably, this is having quite a strain on my relationship. We do want to get engaged soon, apply for (and hopefully get!) the fiancée visa, get married. I believe he was going to propose during his visit her, but now we think it might not be a good idea. But how long is long enough to wait? My mother says she will never accept him our or relationship. I believe it.

I don't know what to do. I feel so unwelcome here and think it is probably time to move out, and hope that someday, my parents (especially my mother) will not feel ashamed of her daughter.

My mother also did not approve of one of my cousins' partners (then fiance, now husband) a few years ago because he didn't have a high-status, well-paying permanent job, which she thinks any partner of mine should have. They did get married (she refused to attend) and she did not talk to this cousin for a while. They do talk now, and she seems okay with my cousin's husband, although she told me today that she is not over it. Being her daughter, it might be tougher for her to overcome, and I don't know that she ever will. I don't want to hurt her or my family, but I also love my boyfriend deeply...

So maybe moving out is the best way to go... and hope that they'll at least want to stay in touch with me.

Any thoughts or similar stories?

Edited by yakasushii

Apparently I can't edit the post, but wanted to add: Given that they disapprove of what his current life, parents don't know about his past I figured it would not be wise to say anything about it given their present attitude towards him. He has really made a huge transformation over the past couple of years, though!

Apparently I can't edit the post, but wanted to add: Given that they disapprove of what his current life, parents don't know about his past I figured it would not be wise to say anything about it given their present attitude towards him. He has really made a huge transformation over the past couple of years, though!

To you, being on the inside with your emotions wrapped into it, it has. But to them looking at it from a seasoned viewpoint, he still doesn't measure up.

Frankly I didn't read the whole thesis - started to read like high school drama.

Personally I think folks shouldn't get all wrapped up in getting parental blessings but that requires being upstanding, doing the right things (whatever it is that they are in your family - I have a family friend that if his kids are anything less than a Doctor and married to a Doctor then they are failures).

Good luck. It's your life, make the right choices and live it well.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Did your father have a high status, well paying permanent job when she met him? Even if he did, pretend you are completely unimpressed by it, and tell her she could have done better. Tell her you will have no problem telling the other family members about your fiancee to be. It's not your responsibility to make her happy. I'd move out as soon as possible.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I understand how you feel, my Grandmother is some what similar.

If you know that by pursuing a relationship with this man your Mother may potentially disown you , make your bed and decide. Remember you may harbor sadness and ill feelings for a long time towards your Mother and possibly even your partner for "putting you in that situation" (even if it wasn't his fault).

As hard as it is if you want to be with this man and you love him then you have to do what is right for you.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Parents always know what emotional heartstrings to pull when they want their way - after all, they built those strings.rose.gif Try to understand that her panic is out of love and concern for YOU. You need to let your parents know that they are hurting YOU with this attitude. They need to see you for the adult that you are, not the child they raised. It will not be an easy decision. Assure them that you love them, but they have raised you to be a strong, independent woman, and this is the life you choose and you hope that they will accept this decision. The relationship may get more estranged before it gets better. Be prepared for that, but stick to your stance or in my opinion they will continue to try to drive a wedge between you and your fiance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

She told you she wished she didn't have you? ouch.

my fiance's mother has expressed the opinion that my fiance should not get involved with a foreigner, she hasn't met me yet but hasn't refused to meet me either, I was worried about this, hes told me that he loves and respects his mother, but as a 35 year old man, he can make his own choices, she can choose to like it or not.

some things to think about, since you say you are not that close, how important is it to you that your parents remain a part of your life? I assume you would like them to play a part, but how big? If you had to choose, which could you live without - your parents or your partner?

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Perhaps one of the chief underlying reasons for failure of relationships (and marriages) is that you marry a partner because of what he/she is to the world (= outside status) rather than what he/she is to you (= what emotionally fulfills YOU).

:thumbs:

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry you are going through this.

The people who have replied to your post have given you very intelligent, very good advice. I think you would be wise to heed it.

I cannot add much because so much good advice has already been given.

I would just say, some parents will do anything to control the decisions and outcomes for everything in their childrens lives. They will use guilt, fear, disapproval and whatever else it takes. Your parents probably do not know what will truly make you happy, because most of the time, controlling parents are coming from their own outdated irrational fears and misunderstandings.

Choose what you want, not what your mother or father wants. If they will disown you and never forgive you as a result, that is just another control mechenism in their bag of control tricks... do you want to be controlled by them forever?

Tell your mother you'll forgive her if she disowns you, but you have to do what you know in your heart will make you happy. Ask her if she knows how hard it is to find real love in this day and age. Ask her if she will be able to mend your broken heart, depression and feelings of hopeless dispair if you do what she wants you to do.

Stand up for yourself. Don't let your parents manipulate you and decide your life for you.

Best of luck and stay strong,

notmuch88tosay

Uber +1 :thumbs: