Derbo/Yamkins

Medicaid for Grandma?

16 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone!

My grandma, 70+ years old, was petitioned by my Aunt and is currently waiting for her Green Card. I am curious if she is eligible for Medicaid. I can't find any list of requirements or forms from the Medicaid website or how we would do it.

We are looking ways to subsidize costs of healthcare for her especially she may need frequent check-ups due to her age. My Aunt is in Illinois while I am in Indiana. She's currently staying with me for vacation. Does it matter which state she applies in?

If you happen to know a better solution/suggestion, please let me know. Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi, everyone!

My grandma, 70+ years old, was petitioned by my Aunt and is currently waiting for her Green Card. I am curious if she is eligible for Medicaid. I can't find any list of requirements or forms from the Medicaid website or how we would do it.

We are looking ways to subsidize costs of healthcare for her especially she may need frequent check-ups due to her age. My Aunt is in Illinois while I am in Indiana. She's currently staying with me for vacation. Does it matter which state she applies in?

If you happen to know a better solution/suggestion, please let me know. Thank you.

Your aunt should look into health insurance plans for grandma. She won't be eligible for medicaid.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Your aunt should look into health insurance plans for grandma. She won't be eligible for medicaid.

:thumbs:

Someone from your family will have to buy her the health insurance. I believe your Aunt has to sign the Affidavit of support, basically that your Grandma would not become a state charge.

Edited by Harsh_77

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You will be looking at hundred of dollaring a month in insurance cost, a lot more if she has pre existing conditions. She will not get medicade or social security. At her age she will probably never be employed so lifetime medical and upkeep is on the sponsor.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Your financial issues will start before she get here- with elderly beneficiaries, especially those who don't speak English or cannot be reasonably expected to work once in the USA, the CO at interview will often ask for more than the usual 125% poverty line. They will also want prove of health insurance.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

You will be looking at hundred of dollaring a month in insurance cost, a lot more if she has pre existing conditions. She will not get medicade or social security. At her age she will probably never be employed so lifetime medical and upkeep is on the sponsor.

She is your financial responsibility (Health, subsistence, and lodging) for the first 5 years of her existence in the US with you, after all that's what the financial sponsorship is all about; that you are sponsoring her so the government won't be charged for her upkeep. Once she had 5 years and is eligible for US citizenship, then the door to all entitlements for a US citizen opens.

In the interim, go to the County Health Department and you might get some form of health care for her at a cost (this is the cheapest alternative I know of). At the County level, she would be given a health card which you would have to pay according to your income level. At least, this is how it is in California. The average cost is about $120 per month based on your poverty level income reported to the NVC, remember?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Even as a citizen some benefits will never be available to you because they count on you paying into the fund as a working person for a certain time. Social security and medicade are examples. gramdma will never get social securirty. You are assuming that the woman will get her USC in 5 years and that the bemefit you mention will not be means tested ( which is sounds like if it is based on your income)

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi, everyone!

Medicaid is a no-no.

Medicaid is a means tested benefit. It is welfare for the poor.

An LPR is not eligible for means tested benefits for the first five years.

When an LPR receives a means tested benefit (even when eligible), the I-864 sponsors are responsible for reimbursing the government for benefits received.

When you bring an elderly person to the US, you are responsible. US taxpayers will not pay for any medical costs.

Google means tested benefits and I – 864 for more information.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Begs the question whether there is anything available in the commercial market.

Hopefully she or your Aunt has plenty of savings.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

She is your financial responsibility (Health, subsistence, and lodging) for the first 5 years of her existence in the US with you, after all that's what the financial sponsorship is all about; that you are sponsoring her so the government won't be charged for her upkeep. Once she had 5 years and is eligible for US citizenship, then the door to all entitlements for a US citizen opens.

In the interim, go to the County Health Department and you might get some form of health care for her at a cost (this is the cheapest alternative I know of). At the County level, she would be given a health card which you would have to pay according to your income level. At least, this is how it is in California. The average cost is about $120 per month based on your poverty level income reported to the NVC, remember?

I standby with my statements above. See http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/F3en.pdf Where it states that the affidavit of support lasts until the following is met: All the rest IMO are hearsay..

1) The person petitioned becomes a US Citizen (takes about 5 years)

2. The person petitioned dies

3. The person petitioned abandons his/her residency and moved out of the US

4. The person earns 40 or more work credits with SSA.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi, everyone!

Your aunt signed an affidavit of support promising the government that your grandmother would not collect means tested public benefits, and would not become a burden on the taxpayers. Medicaid is exactly the sort of means tested public benefit that your aunt promised the government that your grandmother would never collect.

New immigrants aren't eligible for means tested public benefits until they've been a permanent resident for five years. This means your grandmother can't even apply for Medicaid for five years, regardless of the affidavit of support. After five years it would be up to the state. They could approve it and then sue your aunt for reimbursement (she agreed to this when she signed the affidavit of support). They could also deny her Medicaid application citing the affidavit of support using a process called "deeming", where they determine that the sponsor's income is determined to be available to the immigrant just as if it were the immigrant's income. That income would make the immigrant ineligible for a means tested benefit that basically requires the applicant to be indigent. Sponsor deeming can be applied even if the immigrant doesn't live with the sponsor.

Your grandmother will never be eligible for earned benefits like Social Security retirement or Medicare. She'd need to work 10 years while paying into the system in order to qualify for those. However, she COULD get Medicare by paying the full premiums once she's been a permanent resident for five years. Since that's not a means tested public benefit, the affidavit of support wouldn't be an issue. In the meantime, here only option is private health insurance.

The reality is that the United States has a marginal social safety net designed to help protect those who earn it's benefits, but the law specifically prohibits family based immigrants from taking advantage of those benefits. The premise of the law is that you can help your family immigrate to the United States, but you can't stick the taxpayers with the bill.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sort of intrigued as to what you intend to do?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Seems to me that she has to have insurance if that is the smartest choice.

Healthcare is very different here. Back home, at least in our case, we don't have to worry about deductibles or copay. Were just basically covered by our insurance as we pay yearly premiums.

I would probably seek private programs that could subsidize her healthcare expenses (company meds discounts, senior discounts, coupons, etc).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Seems to me that she has to have insurance if that is the smartest choice.

Healthcare is very different here. Back home, at least in our case, we don't have to worry about deductibles or copay. Were just basically covered by our insurance as we pay yearly premiums.

I would probably seek private programs that could subsidize her healthcare expenses (company meds discounts, senior discounts, coupons, etc).

Given her age, you can probably save a lot of money if you opt for a high deductible major medical plan. Those won't pay for routine doctor visits or prescription medications, which someone her age is likely to need fairly often. Even for a serious medical event you'd have to pony up a good chunk of money because of the deductible. However, the bulk of the expenses would be covered in a real medical emergency like a stroke or heart attack. In years when she's reasonably healthy then your out of pocket expenses will likely be a lot lower than the premiums for a comprehensive health insurance plan, and you'll be protected from financial ruin if she has a real emergency.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.