kiwi25

Facing separation/divorce - do I have the option to stay?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hey guys - hope this is the right thread for this..

My wife and I were married almost a year ago, and my AOS was approved in November 2011. Things were going amazing until last month when I found out my wife was having an affair. It has been crushing to say the least but I am trying to keep my head up, and to move on with my life. I still love her with all my heart but I can't repair the damage that has been done. Before I do anything drastic I wanted to check if I will still have the option to stay in the USA if I file for divorce. Obviously we're not going to try and fake a happy marriage for the sake of a green card, but I love my job (who were kind enough to transfer me to a different location a few hours away for the sake of my mental health) and have made some great friends that are really helping me from losing my mind right now. I would really like to stay and live in the USA. Is that an option?

These forums are constantly saving me from the worst situations, and you guys are amazing! Sorry to make such a downer thread but that's life I guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Matt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well you already did the hard part AOS. This isn't a got to pack and go kind of thing. I am so sorry for your hurt. But am so glad you have adjusted and made friends and WOW what a great job to move you and all.

I am no expert, so don't let me lead you astray as to who to call or what. But I know some experts will come along and guide you. I just wanted to pop in and lend a hand on your shoulder and say God Bless you. It is well.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Timeline

My wife and I were married almost a year ago, and my AOS was approved in November 2011. Things were going amazing until last month when I found out my wife was having an affair. It has been crushing to say the least but I am trying to keep my head up, and to move on with my life. I still love her with all my heart but I can't repair the damage that has been done. Before I do anything drastic I wanted to check if I will still have the option to stay in the USA if I file for divorce. Obviously we're not going to try and fake a happy marriage for the sake of a green card, but I love my job (who were kind enough to transfer me to a different location a few hours away for the sake of my mental health) and have made some great friends that are really helping me from losing my mind right now. I would really like to stay and live in the USA. Is that an option?

These forums are constantly saving me from the worst situations, and you guys are amazing! Sorry to make such a downer thread but that's life I guess.

Matt

I am not an expert but from what I have read, it seems as if as long as you can demonstrate that you entered the marraige in genuine intention then you should be okay post divorce to remove conditions. Please do more research but don't start making plans to leave the country.

I would get proof of the affair, proof of marriage, joint account statement, realty contracts and such. That your employer was aware and actually lent a helping hand are all positives.

Best of luck Mate and even though you may not see it now, she did you a favor in the timing.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Matt

You have your GC, this will not change your status. File for divorce and when that is final you can apply to remove conditions.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sorry to hear this, but you are OK to divorce and apply for ROC. Your friends will have to complete affidavits stating they knew the marriage was genuine, and real.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Thanks for the kind words, I really love everybody in these forums!

I am going to get through this. It seems like I have some options, which is great news. Her family have said they will do anything to help as well, so I suppose their testimony would come in handy in proving the marriage was genuine and I acted in good faith. Would it be wise to schedule an infopass appointment? Or would it cost me to disclose all this information to the USCIS so soon? I don't want to compromise my status unintentionally..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am going to get through this. It seems like I have some options, which is great news. Her family have said they will do anything to help as well, so I suppose their testimony would come in handy in proving the marriage was genuine and I acted in good faith. Would it be wise to schedule an infopass appointment? Or would it cost me to disclose all this information to the USCIS so soon? I don't want to compromise my status unintentionally..

You don't need to inform USCIS of this. Doesn't change your status. When the divorce is final you are eligible to apply to remove conditions.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Sorry to hear that dude. Since you're GC is valid for another year or so, you can definitely stay here in the US. Once your window opens, file for ROC. But it's best to take that offer from her family and get their testimonies now -- you'll never know what happens once that divorce proceeding start, it might get ugly and her family may no longer extend that offer when you need it... Best of luck to you.

Our K-1 Visa Journey

2009-10-21 : I-129F Sent

2009-10-23 : I-129F NOA1

2010-01-19 : RFE Hard Copy Received

2010-01-22 : RFE Reply Received by CSC

2010-01-29 : I-129F NOA2

2010-02-04 : NVC Received

2010-02-09 : NVC Left

2010-02-12 : Consulate Received (per DHL website)

2010-02-21 : Interview Scheduled for March 15

2010-02-22 : Packet Received From USEM (Eligibility to Schedule an Interview)

2010-03-02 : Medical Exam

2010-03-15 : Interview APPROVED

2010-03-17 : Visa Picked-up at the USEM

2010-03-19 : CFO Seminar

2010-03-24 : POE - LAX

2010-04-08 : Applied for SSN

2010-04-16 : SSN Received

2010-06-08 : Married

Our AOS Journey

2010-07-09 : AOS Package Sent

2010-07-16 : NOA1 (I-485, I-765 and I-131)

2010-07-26 : Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

2010-08-05 : Biometrics Completed

2010-08-12 : Interview Appointment Letter Received

2010-09-03 : I-512L, Authorization for Parole Received

2010-09-08 : EAD Card Received

2010-09-15 : AOS Interview APPROVED

2010-09-25 : GC Received

Our ROC Journey

2012-07-06 : ROC Package Sent

2012-07-09 : I-751 NOA1

2012-07-18 : Bio Appt Letter Received (for 8/7)

2012-07-25 : Rescheduled Bio Appt Letter Received (for 8/20)

2012-08-20 : Biometrics Completed

2013-03-01 : APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Your GC was approved Nov 2011 which means it shouldn't expire until Nov 2013 this gives you plenty of time.

First off, NO, getting divorced doesn't mean you have to go home. You do not report this to USCIS what you DO need to do is file ROC as soon as your divorce is final. ROC will be filed by ticking the "I entered the marriage in good faith but it ended" (something like that) box and send the same relationship evidence you have that you would have sent with ROC. Proof of the affair is not required but you can send a declaration of sorts if you like outlining you finding out about the affair etc etc.

So basically:

1. File for divorce

2. Wait for divorce to be final OR wait for the 90 day filing window (whichever comes first)

3. File ROC

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

You will be ok, but get all proof you can before you leave the house, bank statements, utilities bill,pictures, etc...After your divorce file form I-751, and get some affidavits (notarized)from family and friends stating your relationship was genuine. If you can prove she was cheating on you do not forget to submit the evidences tho, it will help your case a lot!. Love the ones who treat you right, forget the ones who don’t. Good luck.

Filed: Timeline

You will be ok, but get all proof you can before you leave the house, bank statements, utilities bill,pictures, etc...After your divorce file form I-751, and get some affidavits (notarized)from family and friends stating your relationship was genuine. If you can prove she was cheating on you do not forget to submit the evidences tho, it will help your case a lot!. Love the ones who treat you right, forget the ones who don't. Good luck.

good.gif

You will be ok, but get all proof you can before you leave the house, bank statements, utilities bill,pictures, etc...After your divorce file form I-751, and get some affidavits (notarized)from family and friends stating your relationship was genuine. If you can prove she was cheating on you do not forget to submit the evidences tho, it will help your case a lot!. Love the ones who treat you right, forget the ones who don’t. Good luck.

Stealing this Sandraj :thumbs:

AOS TIMELINE
05.03.11 - Got Married

05.05.11 - Filed I-485, I-130 and I-765
06.08.11 - Biometric Done
07.27.11 - Mailed RFE to Lee's Summit MO(Express)
08.04.11 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!! YAY!!!
08.12.11 - EAD IN HAND!!! WOOHOO!!
09.16.11 - INTERVIEW(No Decision on Spot, IO wrote in Passport"CR6 A# I-485 pending IO (name) USCIS LNY Section 245"
10.26.11 - Stokes Interview at 26 Federal Plaza
10.27.11 - APPROVED!!! WOOHOO!! WHAT A JOURNEY!!
11.01.11 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED
11.04.11 - GREEN CARD IN HAND

ROC TIMELINE

08.01.13 - Mailed ROC Packet to VSC

08.14.13 - Biometric Appointment Letter Received

09.03.13 - Biometric Completed

09.17.13 - Case Transferred to CSC

11.01.13 - CSC Transferred Case to Local Office to Schedule Interview

12.31.13 - Received Appointment Notice from Local Office (Long Island City). Interview on 01.16.14

01.16.14 - I-751 Interview

01.16.14 - Approved on Spot!! :-) Passport Stamped!

01.30.14 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

N400 TIMELINE

07.29.14 - Mailed N400 Packet to TX

08.05.14 - Case Received (Text message)

08.09.14 - Received I-797C

08.16.14 - Received Biometric Appointment Letter

08.29.14 - Biometric Appointment

02.17.15 - Interview - APPROVED

02.26.15 - Naturalization Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.