jbee77

Looking for Job while K1 Visa on Process. is it good or bad?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello friends, Me and my Fiance are working out on our papers and I was thinking to look for a Job.. Im the beneficiary. And I get bored here in the house.. I wanna look for a job while the waiting. However, remember form G325a we declared our employment history. :bonk: here's my questions:

1. is it ok to look for a job while processing K1 visa?

2. If its ok, Should I apply before we file it or after we file it?

3. Will they question me for that in the interview?

4. Is it a bad thing for the record?

Please give me some answer.. hehehehe Thanks in Advance! :D(L)B-):)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello friends, Me and my Fiance are working out on our papers and I was thinking to look for a Job.. Im the beneficiary. And I get bored here in the house.. I wanna look for a job while the waiting. However, remember form G325a we declared our employment history. :bonk: here's my questions:

1. is it ok to look for a job while processing K1 visa?

2. If its ok, Should I apply before we file it or after we file it?

3. Will they question me for that in the interview?

4. Is it a bad thing for the record?

Please give me some answer.. hehehehe Thanks in Advance! :D(L)B-):)

I am a beneficiary too. Still waiting for NOA2. Of course, you can start job hunting now, but in order to research available positions in your field. You are not allowed to get a job now. You need a work permit which you will receive in the process of Adjustment of Status. You can go through this process AFTER you get married. If you receive a job offer now, you will have to file for a work visa, which is a completely different visa petition. Taking up a job without an approved work visa or Adjustment of Status is considered an illegal activity which can prevent you from getting a K1 visa. Hope that helps!

Edited by MartaA

OUR K1 JOURNEY:

2/27/2012 - mailed in I-129F Petition

3/02/2012 - received NOA1

7/23/2012 - noticed a status change to "RFE" on USCIS website

7/26/2012 - received RFE hardcopy in mail

7/28/2012 - mailed in RFE reply

7/31/2012 - RFE reply arrived at USCIS

8/09/2012 - noticed a status change to "RFE reply review" on USCIS website

8/15/2012 - NOA2!!! (166 days from NOA1)

8/20/2012 - our petition arrived at NVC

8/23/2012 - our petition left NVC

8/27/2012 - our petition arrived at Warsaw Embassy, Poland

8/28/2012 - e-mailed Packet 3

9/11/2012 - INTERVIEW!!!

9/28/2012 - US entry!!!

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a beneficiary too. Still waiting for NOA2. Of course, you can start job hunting now, but in order to research available positions in your field. You are not allowed to get a job now. You need a work permit which you will receive in the process of Adjustment of Status. You can go through this process AFTER you get married. If you receive a job offer now, you will have to file for a work visa, which is a completely different visa petition. Taking up a job without an approved work visa or Adjustment of Status is considered an illegal activity which can prevent you from getting a K1 visa. Hope that helps!

Oh sorry Im still here in my country.. I was thinking to look for Job here while papers still on the process. I was thinking to look for job here in my country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Nothing is wrong with that, but if you apply, most applications need your social security number and most ask the question about being legally able to work in the US at the time of application. At this point in time, you're not legal and you would therefore be dishonest. Just keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that the K1 visa isn't guaranteed until you have it in hand. So many different things can happen....like not getting approved or bring stuck in AP or whatever.

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

So you basically just want a job for the few months to a year it'll take until you get the visa? Of course that is ok- most beneficiaries work until they have the visa, then hand in their notice.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Oh sorry Im still here in my country.. I was thinking to look for Job here while papers still on the process. I was thinking to look for job here in my country.

I see what you mean. The visa process takes a long time - the first step between NOA1 and NOA2 is 5 months on average, and it's not the end of the wait. If you are willing to work in your home country, you will have plenty of time to do it. However, I have no idea if getting a job after filing for K1 influences the whole process. I hope there's someone here who has some experience in this situation.

OUR K1 JOURNEY:

2/27/2012 - mailed in I-129F Petition

3/02/2012 - received NOA1

7/23/2012 - noticed a status change to "RFE" on USCIS website

7/26/2012 - received RFE hardcopy in mail

7/28/2012 - mailed in RFE reply

7/31/2012 - RFE reply arrived at USCIS

8/09/2012 - noticed a status change to "RFE reply review" on USCIS website

8/15/2012 - NOA2!!! (166 days from NOA1)

8/20/2012 - our petition arrived at NVC

8/23/2012 - our petition left NVC

8/27/2012 - our petition arrived at Warsaw Embassy, Poland

8/28/2012 - e-mailed Packet 3

9/11/2012 - INTERVIEW!!!

9/28/2012 - US entry!!!

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Oh I misunderstood. Of course it's okay to look for a job in your country.

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm a March 2012 filer for the K1 and I plan on working in my home country until February 2013 when my employment contract ends. That way I can save as much as possible for the move which I hope will be beginning of March 2013. I want to be able to buy a car and contribute to the household bills until I am able to work, plus have a little spending money each week, and also have some savings built up in case of a medical emergency or something unexpected. Its hard to predict exactly when the visa will be approved so I planned on around 10 months start to finish. Then you have 6 months to use the visa to enter the US too. Not that most people would want to wait any longer! Remember also that by the time the I-129F is adjudicated its probably going to be around 6 months since you filled in the paperwork and the G325a so its likely the employment information will have changed in that time. I understand you fill in a similar list of employment for the paperwork you send to the embassy prior to the interview anyway. So don't worry, work away!

Edited by Hannah and Josh

VAWA

February 10, 2014 - NOA1 for I-360, I485 and I-765

March 14, 2014 - Biometrics

April 4, 2014 - Approval of I-360!

May 14, 2014 - Approval of EAD

June 23, 2014 - I-485 transferred to NBC

August 7, 2014 - Put in service request

September 23, 2014 - Interview - approved!

October 4, 2014 - Green card received

Total time:7 months 25 days

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

having a job doesn't affect anything with the k-1 visa.

To be 'complete', though, submit a new G-325A on interview day, and study the visa application packet stuff as well.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

i got a question, if the beneficiary come into the USA and finds a job that just pays cash , almost like a under the table/once awhile job , can that be a bad thing if found out by the gov??

United-States-of-America-LH.gif Bryan and Isabel Brazil-Brasília-National-Flag-RH.gif

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

12/20/2011: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox

02/16/2012: NOA1 Received, Forwarded to Vermont Service Center

XX/XX/2012: NOA2

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number

US Embassy Rio De Janeiro

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa in hand

XX/XX/2012: POE Newark, New Jersey

FkP5m4.png

i got a question, if the beneficiary come into the USA and finds a job that just pays cash , almost like a under the table/once awhile job , can that be a bad thing if found out by the gov??

Yes, a very bad thing. Until the beneficiary has the employment authorization document or green card, they cannot work.

And you better believe the government will find out.

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Working illegally would always be a bad thing. :blink:

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

define bad?

just assume that the beneficiary has no intentions of remaining in the usa.

the cash earned would be quickly used for the return ticket.

why to think this way?

well, working without a ssn and ead/gc is really bad when attempting to adjust from a K-1 visa. get caught? can't adjust status, must to leave or face deportation or even an immigration judge's ruling.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

The government doesn't like when anyone does this, because the IRS doesn't get their cut.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.