Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Where can I get Nabulsi sweet cheese from JP? What does it look like?

In Algeria I'm not sure. But when you get back home you should be able to find it in the arabic stores. It's the same as that white arabic cheese with the black seeds except its unsalted and no seeds. It's not really sweet but they call it sweet bcz its unsalted.

Thanks JP! I will check that type of cheese out when I get back. I have seen the stringy cheese with the black nigella seeds before, but actually tasted it...but did not know the name.

In Algerie, I have not seen this cheese...there are not many types of cheese. Snaps not even feta cheese. They have a generic rather weak cheese they call Gouda (but it is NOT Gouda believe me) also they have Kiri cheese (everyone should know that one) also Regalo and also light Philly creme cheese but its very expensive. Cheese here costs more the meat...so cheese ain't on the meal unfortunately! :(

:(I MISS CHEESE! :(

Anyone find a simple Ghallaba recipe yet?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What is Ghallaba? I found a few reciepes on reciepe zarr, but they are rice pudding.

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

For Doodle:

INGREDIENTSPREPAMOUNTWaterwarm, 110°1/4 cupYeast, active dry2 tSugarpinch Flour, all purpose3 cupsWater3/4 cupsOlive oil1 TSalt1 t Olive oil1/4 cup

METHOD

Basic Steps: Proof → Mix → Knead → Rise → Portion → Rise → Bake

1. Mix yeast, sugar and 1/4 c of warm water in a small bowl. Set aside to proof yeast, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, pour in yeast mixture, then flour, olive oil and salt. With a wooden spoon mix in about 1/2 cup of the remaining warm water. Add water a tablespoon at a time as needed to make a firm dough. Knead by hand for about 8-10 minutes till smooth.
  3. Wipe a large bowl with a little oil, add dough and cover with plastic. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  4. Punch down dough and knead briefly. Cut into 6 equal pieces. Roll pieces into balls, place on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise till doubled again, another 20-30 minutes.
  5. Preheat oven to 400°. Roll out each ball into a 6-7" round, taking care not to pierce dough surface (or pita won't puff).
  6. Place rounds on a cookie sheet, brush each generously with olive oil, and bake about 5-8 minutes till tops begin to brown and pitas puff.

VARIATIONS

• Try a mixture of whole-wheat and white flour, or use all whole wheat. You may have to increase the amount of water.
  • Brush pitas with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds right before you pop them in the oven if you like.

NOTES

• Pita bread is common throughout the eastern Mediterranean. It is called pita in Greece and many countries of the Levant. It is also known as khoubz araby. or Arab bread. In Turkey the name is pide. Egyptians often call it aish. Versions of pita can be found from Iran to as far east as northern India with its naan bread.

Timeline

Sorry if I am annoying anyone by posting alot of recipes on the recipe forum, but it is more for myself to have these recipes organized in one place, as my husband is now redoing my laptop (virus we think) so I am afraid I will lose alot of my recipes in the process...again sorry if I am annoying anyone :(

Filed: Timeline
Sorry if I am annoying anyone by posting alot of recipes on the recipe forum, but it is more for myself to have these recipes organized in one place, as my husband is now redoing my laptop (virus we think) so I am afraid I will lose alot of my recipes in the process...again sorry if I am annoying anyone :(

I thought the recipe thread was for recipes... why on earth would anyone get mad for you posting them here? (F)

I hope you're putting them on the other board too because it's very well organized and should make it easier to find later.... like that Ghallaba recipe :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I made Autumn cheesecake this weekend. Instead of vanilla extract (which is made with alcohol, therefore not halal), use the scrapings of the insides of a vanilla bean

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Autumn-Cheesecake/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS

1 cup graham cracker crumbs

1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

3 tablespoons white sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced

1/3 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a large bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and melted butter; press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar. Mix at medium speed until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in vanilla; pour filling into the baked crust.

In a small bowl, stir together 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Toss the cinnamon-sugar with the apples to coat. Spoon apple mixture over cream cheese layer and sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped pecans.

Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes. With a knife, loosen cake from rim of pan. Let cool, then remove the rim of pan. Chill cake before serving.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Help! Where are the kanafa experts? I need the syprup recipe for kanafa.

Jackie

2 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups water

1 tsp. Iemon juice

Boil until dissolved and let cool completly. You may want to double this recipe if you are making a big tray. :star:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Jackie

1 cup of water

1 1/2 cups of sugar

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1 cinnamon stick

5 whole cloves

Boil the ingrediants for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the cloves and cinamon (these are extra, and to taste. many recipes don't include them). Pour the syrup over the kunafa and let set for at least an hour.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Jackie

1 cup of water

1 1/2 cups of sugar

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1 cinnamon stick

5 whole cloves

Boil the ingrediants for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the cloves and cinamon (these are extra, and to taste. many recipes don't include them). Pour the syrup over the kunafa and let set for at least an hour.

This sounds good but I wouldnt use it for Kanafeh, use the one I posted Jackie thats Jordanian way. :luv::star: Oh and I'm not sure what kind of kanafeh this is but we serve it piping hot. You pour the cooled syrup over the hot kanafeh and eat it immediatly.

Edited by jordanianprincess

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Jackie

NOT an expert here...but its simple syrup I can do

3 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups water

juice from 1/2 lemon

some ground cinnamon (whatever amount you like)

some ground cardamom (about 1/3 the amt of the cinnamon) if you have it. not a big deal to not use

just boil the water and sugar about 10 minutes, don't let it bubble over so you gotta watch it.

toward the end, add the lemon juice and cinnamon and cardimom, stir it and let it cool

So are you making it now? hows it goin?

I guess there are faster syrup experts here :thumbs:

Don't let the variation scare you. its just thick sweet water no matter what you do

Edited by dawnnhatem

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: Timeline
Instead of vanilla extract (which is made with alcohol, therefore not halal), use the scrapings of the insides of a vanilla bean

I found immitation vanilla flavoring (not extract) in the grocery store (it was right beside the extract) and checked all the ingredients on a website to see if it had any alcohol (and were maybe calling it a different name) and everything checked out.

It tastes the same but I've found you have to use a little more than the recipe calls for to get the flavoring right.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.