Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Dessert recipe

I know Eid is right around the corner, so here is a dessert recipe that will knock everyones socks off. :star:

3ish il Saraya

Orange Jam/marmalade

Could you use strawberry or another kind of jam/marmalade - I was just thinking that rose water with strawberry jam would be good!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Dessert recipe

I know Eid is right around the corner, so here is a dessert recipe that will knock everyones socks off. :star:

3ish il Saraya

Orange Jam/marmalade

Could you use strawberry or another kind of jam/marmalade - I was just thinking that rose water with strawberry jam would be good!

I dont see why not! :star: Sounds yummy. I just don't like rose water but I think you can substitute that. :star:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thanks whoever pinned this thread...I did not know how to do it after Jenn suggested it :D

Dessert recipe

3ish il Saraya

1 Loaf of White Bread (I usually use Sara Lee Honey White)

1/2 gallon heavy cream or manufacturers cream

6 TBS of Cornstarch

4 TBS of Orange Blossom Water ( you can use Rose water if you wish)

2.5 cups Sugar (2 cups for one part, 1/2 cup for the other part)

1.5 Cups water

1 TBS Vanilla

1/2 cup Raw Pistachios

Orange Jam/marmalade

Round Tray about 16 inches in diameter or bigger with a 1 inch lip (you can buy the disposable kind from a party store) it should look like this:

disppizzapan1.jpg

1. Cut all the crusts off the bread and toast it to a golden brown, set aside.

2. In a medium sauce pan over high heat, take 2 TBS from the 2 cups of sugar and add them to the sauce pan. Let the sugar melt to a golden brown color. Add the water, the remaining sugar from the 2 cups, 2TBS of Orange water, stil and let it dissolve. After it has come to a boil turn it off and set aside.

3. Get a large pot and add the cream, cornstarch, 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 TBS of Orange water, 1 TBS of vanilla and cook over medium heat while stirring the entire time until it comes to a boil. It will be really thick and grow in volume so make sure the pot is big enough.

Assembly

Arrange the toasted bread in the pan and make sure there are no empty spots, you may have to break up some pieces in cram them in. Pour the sugar syrup over the bread and make sure you have each piece coated well, after you have poured it all on flip the pieces of bread over to make sure both sides have soaked up the syrup.

Pour the cream mixture over the bread now and spread it evenly making sure the bread doesnt show through.

Ground the pistachios and spread them all over the top. Put dollops of jam around the edges and one in the center as garnish.

Cover with Saran Wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. The cream will set and become custard like.

You can also garnish it with fruit, but you should wait until teh cream is halfway set.

Enjoy! :star:

Wow sounds good, I am going to try this inchallah tomorrow! If you any more JP keep em coming!

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Yayyyyyyy you finallyyyyyy got it pinned !! :dance::dance::dance: WTG !!!

(F)(F)(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

I posted this one before but here it is again, this time with a pic :) (LOL I love recipes with pics !)

recipes007uu0.jpg

FATAAYER BIS-SABAANIGH -- SPINACH PIES

DOUGH

2 cups warm water

2 tablespoons sugar

Dash of ginger (dried or fresh, minced)

1 package active dry yeast

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons salt

1 egg

5 cups of unbleached flour

Combine water, sugar, and ginger in a large bowl. Add the yeast slowly, stirring gently. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes until the yeast becomes foamy. Stir in the egg, salt and oil.

Begin folding in the flour gradually. If the dough is still too wet after 5 cups of flour, add a bit more flour. Knead until the sides of the bowl are clean of flour and the dough is smooth.

Coat the top of the dough ball with a bit of oil and flip over in the bowl twice. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a small towel and set in a warm (not hot) place for 40 minutes.

FILLING

2 large bunches of spinach (or two bags) cut into small pieces

1 large onion, chopped finely

1 cup chopped parsely

1/2 cup lemon juice

2 tablespoons oregano (or thyme)

1 teaspoon sumac

1/3 cup olive oil

1 and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 tablespoon pepper

1 cup pine nuts, lightly browned in a skillet

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Toss the chopped spinach, parsely, onions, oregano (or thyme,) sumac, lemon juice, oil, toasted pine nuts, salt and pepper together in a large bowl and set aside.

Divide dough into two sections. Roll each section about 1/8 inch (these will puff up a lot, so thin is good.) Using a small bowl as a cutter, cut out small rounds about 6 inches in diameter.

Place a spoonful of the spinach mixture onto each round. Fold 3 sides of the round to form a triangle. Press the dough together, pinching it to form a ridge. (Leave a small opening in the middle for steam to escape during baking.)

Place the rounds onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with a little olive oil.

My husband calls these "kraas" -- this is the "street language" of Palestine, but "fataayer" is the "good Arabic."

Edited by wife_of_mahmoud

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Came on VJ this morning and saw that we had a new pinned thread! Yay! I'm so glad we finally have a pinned recipies thread! :dance::dancing::dancing:

These are cute!

:girlwerewolf2xn::shocked::huh2::halloween:

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I posted this one before but here it is again, this time with a pic :) (LOL I love recipes with pics !)

recipes007uu0.jpg

FATAAYER BIS-SABAANIGH -- SPINACH PIES

DOUGH

2 cups warm water

2 tablespoons sugar

Dash of ginger (dried or fresh, minced)

1 package active dry yeast

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons salt

1 egg

5 cups of unbleached flour

Combine water, sugar, and ginger in a large bowl. Add the yeast slowly, stirring gently. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes until the yeast becomes foamy. Stir in the egg, salt and oil.

Begin folding in the flour gradually. If the dough is still too wet after 5 cups of flour, add a bit more flour. Knead until the sides of the bowl are clean of flour and the dough is smooth.

Coat the top of the dough ball with a bit of oil and flip over in the bowl twice. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a small towel and set in a warm (not hot) place for 40 minutes.

FILLING

2 large bunches of spinach (or two bags) cut into small pieces

1 large onion, chopped finely

1 cup chopped parsely

1/2 cup lemon juice

2 tablespoons oregano (or thyme)

1 teaspoon sumac

1/3 cup olive oil

1 and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 tablespoon pepper

1 cup pine nuts, lightly browned in a skillet

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Toss the chopped spinach, parsely, onions, oregano (or thyme,) sumac, lemon juice, oil, toasted pine nuts, salt and pepper together in a large bowl and set aside.

Divide dough into two sections. Roll each section about 1/8 inch (these will puff up a lot, so thin is good.) Using a small bowl as a cutter, cut out small rounds about 6 inches in diameter.

Place a spoonful of the spinach mixture onto each round. Fold 3 sides of the round to form a triangle. Press the dough together, pinching it to form a ridge. (Leave a small opening in the middle for steam to escape during baking.)

Place the rounds onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with a little olive oil.

My husband calls these "kraas" -- this is the "street language" of Palestine, but "fataayer" is the "good Arabic."

oooooooooooooo great recipe WofM...l love recipes with pics too...do you have the recipe for meat filling with the zatar and sumac one too? My husband I think will like the meat filled ones better...These spinach and meats buns as I call them I am so used to as I grew up with these ...and living near Dearborn, MI the largest arabe/muslim population I believe in whole USA...but strange here in Algerie so many of the common ME I love to eat they have not even heard of...

Hmmm do you have any good kebob marinades? I am craving some kebobs right now! :D

Timeline

Henia - I know you lived in Hungry --- do you have a good goulash recipe? When I lived in East Germany I ate Goulash and Knodlen (like a bread dumpling?) and it was my favorite but I have never seen goulash again!! I'd love it if you had one!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
oooooooooooooo great recipe WofM...l love recipes with pics too...do you have the recipe for meat filling with the zatar and sumac one too? My husband I think will like the meat filled ones better...These spinach and meats buns as I call them I am so used to as I grew up with these ...and living near Dearborn, MI the largest arabe/muslim population I believe in whole USA...but strange here in Algerie so many of the common ME I love to eat they have not even heard of...

Hmmm do you have any good kebob marinades? I am craving some kebobs right now! :D

I have found the basic recipe to be very adaptable -- I have made some "customized" versions adding chopped egg & black olives, or grated cheese with some chopped spicy peppers, or even chopped mushrooms (my husband really loved all of these.)

I think it would work well with meat -- maybe cut down on the amount of spinach and stir in some shredded cooked chicken or cooked ground lamb or beef (I would drain it well first.) With ground meat like beef or lamb, you might use another vegetable such as shredded cabbage or carrot or onion, possibly potato. Some garlic would be good with that.

I will search around for an "official" meat pie recipe. And I have some kabob recipes in my notebook at home -- I will post it later.

Sa77a !

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

When the kiddos asked Usama if he liked chicken soup (in Arabic lol) he said no, he likes meat soup and I asked if he means with meatballs and he said yes. Anyone know how to make meat soup?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline
When the kiddos asked Usama if he liked chicken soup (in Arabic lol) he said no, he likes meat soup and I asked if he means with meatballs and he said yes. Anyone know how to make meat soup?

does the soup have meatballs and potatoes in it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hmmm, doodle, ask him if he likes lesan el asfour. That can be made with either chicken broth or beef. This site has it with beef, but when I had it in Cairo, it was chicken.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.