Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline
Has anyone here made biscotti cookies? I know its not quite an arab treat but I had one from the coffee shop at Nordstroms and it was the best. I would just go get some more of theirs, but its in a big mall and I'd have to park far away and its on the 2nd floor....I am looking for a tested, proven wonderful biscotti recipe. I did an online search and there are so many- I want one that I know is wonderful. theres a lot of plain-to-sucky biscotti out there and I want good stuff. Anybody?

Also, what recipie forum are you all talking about? You created a searchable middle eastern recipie thing? I must have missed this.

Dawn

dawn if you didn't get the link for the new recipe board here it is

http://z10.invisionfree.com/MENA_Recipes/index.php

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

This sounds perfect, I'll be making this today- I"ll report how it goes. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

I made these for Christmas last year and everyone loved them!!! They were not too hard to make even though it's listed as being "medium" instead of "easy".

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...tml?rsrc=search

Holiday Biscotti

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped

2/3 cup dried cranberries

12 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped

Red and green sugar crystals, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl to blend. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in the pistachios and cranberries.

Form the dough into a 13-inch long, 3-inch wide log on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.

Place the log on the cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake the biscotti until they are pale golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer the biscotti to a rack and cool completely.

Stir the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Dip half of the biscotti into the melted chocolate. Gently shake off the excess chocolate. Place the biscotti on the baking sheet for the chocolate to set. Sprinkle with the sugar crystals. Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, about 35 minutes.

The biscotti can be made ahead. Store them in an airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap them in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.

Recipe Summary

Difficulty: Medium

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 55 minutes

Yield: 2 dozen cookies

User Rating: 5 Stars

dawn if you didn't get the link for the new recipe board here it is

http://z10.invisionfree.com/MENA_Recipes/index.php

I had not seen this.....Its wonderful, Thanks - And good job, ladies!

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

For Doodle:

Thanks! I made naan with chicken tikki masala this weekend and although the kids hated the chicken (too spicey for them) they loved the naan!

Nice Doodle...I am kinda experimenting with my husband too...trying new things...subbing and adding to dishes I normally would cook...alots of things not availible here in Algerie (like sour creme or real butter for example)....
HELP!

How do you make the sauce for couscous that they have in Morocco (it's a red sauce).

I will PM you the recipe...and post it on the MENA recipe www tomorrow inchallah Sarah... here in Algerie my family uses the white sauce, which I really dislike...i made my sauce, red sauce...that I learned in Tuniz to make...and they really loved it...my husband actually prefers the red sauce (hehe)
Ok, here's what I made for breakfast.

Abdel says they make something called chekchoukah that is like this only it doesn't have the corn in it and I'm guessing probably not the cheese either. He thinks that's a regional name for it though.

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 Small Onion (Peeled & Chopped)

1 Anaheim Pepper (Washed, Seeded & Chopped) (Use Green Bell if you can't find Anaheim)

1 Jalapeno Pepper (Washed, Seeded & Chopped)

2 Medium Tomatoes (Washed and Chopped - if you prefer peeled & seeded, do that too)

1 Can (16 Ounce or about that) No-Salt Added Whole Kernel Corn, Drained

1 Tablespoon Chopped Garlic (or to taste)

1/4 Bunch Fresh Cilantro (Washed & Chopped)

1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds

1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns

1 Tablespoon Chili Powder

Salt to taste

1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper

6 Eggs

1/4 Cup Milk

4 Ounces Shredded Colby Cheese

Cook peppers and onion in oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, corn, garlic & cilantro; simmer until most of the liquid cooks off. Meanwhile, with mortar and pestle grind cumin seeds and peppercorns (or use a peppermill). Sprinkle on all seasonings and stir in. Stir together eggs and milk and add to skillet. Cook until eggs are set, stirring as desired. Stir in cheese and serve with toasted bread of your choice.

Mmmm chekcouka...my fav.... I make mine with cubanelle pepppers....Mmmmm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
...I am kinda experimenting with my husband too...trying new things...

:devil::innocent:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
Anyone got a recipe for a good seafood soup???
what kind of soup? like bouillobaisse or zarulta?

like the creamy seafood soup in the chinese restaurants :D

I did find some seafood/oyster base in the grocery store last week and used it... I added some of the base to some milk in the pot and let it heat up and dissolve good... then I added some immitation crab meat, medium shrimp, oysters, clams, an onion and some noodles. It was OK but it wasn't great... I'd rather have a recipe to follow because I'm not that good at cooking to make stuff up like that :blush:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

You crack me up Charles....I see where your mind is....LOL

I did find some seafood/oyster base in the grocery store last week and used it... I added some of the base to some milk in the pot and let it heat up and dissolve good... then I added some immitation crab meat, medium shrimp, oysters, clams, an onion and some noodles. It was OK but it wasn't great... I'd rather have a recipe to follow because I'm not that good at cooking to make stuff up like that :blush:

ahhh ok une moment...

Anyones have a nice choco truffle recipe... something to wow people here? LIke rum balls without the rum ? :lol:

From real and easy Chinese cooking:

Cantonese seafood soup

Serving Size: 4

Preparation Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

4 sole fillets

save bones and trimmings from fish

1 onion -- sliced

1/2 lg carrot -- chopped

1 chicken bouillon cube

8 button mushrooms -- halved

1 tbsp olive oil

10 shrimp -- prawns

1/2 cup dry white wine

2 tbsp lemon juice -- or juice of 1 lemon

salt

spinach leaves

bean sprouts

Directions:

1. Place the bones and trimmings together with onion, carrot and chicken stock cube in 1200 ml (2 pints) water. Bring to boil and cook for 30 minutes. Strain and put aside.

2. Cut each fillet of sole in half by slicing lengthwise. Tie each fillet loosely into a knot and poach in stock until tender.

3. Cook the mushrooms in the oil until tender, add the prawns and stir for 2 minutes.

4. Add the dry white wine and lemon and take from the heat. Add the spinach and bring the stock again to boil. Add the rest of the ingredients

5. When ready to serve ladle the soup into bowl and top with bean sprouts.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):

267 Calories; 6g Fat (22.2% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 101mg Cholesterol; 351mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

COuld this be it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

You crack me up Charles....I see where your mind is....LOL

ahhh ok une moment...

Anyones have a nice choco truffle recipe... something to wow people here? LIke rum balls without the rum ? :lol:

From real and easy Chinese cooking:

Cantonese seafood soup

Serving Size: 4

Preparation Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

4 sole fillets

save bones and trimmings from fish

1 onion -- sliced

1/2 lg carrot -- chopped

1 chicken bouillon cube

8 button mushrooms -- halved

1 tbsp olive oil

10 shrimp -- prawns

1/2 cup dry white wine

2 tbsp lemon juice -- or juice of 1 lemon

salt

spinach leaves

bean sprouts

Directions:

1. Place the bones and trimmings together with onion, carrot and chicken stock cube in 1200 ml (2 pints) water. Bring to boil and cook for 30 minutes. Strain and put aside.

2. Cut each fillet of sole in half by slicing lengthwise. Tie each fillet loosely into a knot and poach in stock until tender.

3. Cook the mushrooms in the oil until tender, add the prawns and stir for 2 minutes.

4. Add the dry white wine and lemon and take from the heat. Add the spinach and bring the stock again to boil. Add the rest of the ingredients

5. When ready to serve ladle the soup into bowl and top with bean sprouts.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):

267 Calories; 6g Fat (22.2% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 101mg Cholesterol; 351mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

COuld this be it?

I don't think so...see she said creamy soup there is simply not a sufficent amount of calories and fat to fit this description. :lol:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I made these for Christmas last year and everyone loved them!!! They were not too hard to make even though it's listed as being "medium" instead of "easy".

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...tml?rsrc=search

Holiday Biscotti

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped

2/3 cup dried cranberries

12 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped

Red and green sugar crystals, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl to blend. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in the pistachios and cranberries.

Form the dough into a 13-inch long, 3-inch wide log on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.

Place the log on the cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake the biscotti until they are pale golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer the biscotti to a rack and cool completely.

Stir the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Dip half of the biscotti into the melted chocolate. Gently shake off the excess chocolate. Place the biscotti on the baking sheet for the chocolate to set. Sprinkle with the sugar crystals. Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, about 35 minutes.

The biscotti can be made ahead. Store them in an airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap them in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.

Recipe Summary

Difficulty: Medium

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 55 minutes

Yield: 2 dozen cookies

User Rating: 5 Stars

Just to follow up... These are awesome!! I substituted the cranberries, pistachios and white chocolate for dried pinapple, chopped almonds and dark chocolate, and used more lemon zest just to finish off the lemon....but these are really pretty and yummy too.

Thanks!!!

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Just to follow up... These are awesome!! I substituted the cranberries, pistachios and white chocolate for dried pinapple, chopped almonds and dark chocolate, and used more lemon zest just to finish off the lemon....but these are really pretty and yummy too.

Thanks!!!

Oh wow I would never have thought about dried pinapple!!! I'll have to try that the next time!!! Glad you liked them! :thumbs:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I love Food Network recipes! I'll have to try those biscotti next time! Thanks for the recipe.

I love them too. I'm partial to Giada's stuff and some of Rachel Ray's.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I love Food Network recipes! I'll have to try those biscotti next time! Thanks for the recipe.

I love them too. I'm partial to Giada's stuff and some of Rachel Ray's.

I like Giada a lot. Rachel annoys me a little bit in her show but she makes some good stuff.

My favorite is Barefoot contessa. I have all of her cookbooks and they are great!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.