Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

did you try to make your own pomegranate molasses out of pomegranate syrup? it's easier to just get the molasses. it's just the right consistency.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Hi again all,

So the toum will have to wait for another weekend. But tried the fattoush with pomegranate molasses (but when making the molasses, I couldn't get it down to molasses, so it's more like syrup), and it is sooo close to what I want.

My only problem is the sumac. My sumac turned out gritty and not very flavorful. I did soak it in water for about 20 minutes. Maybe it's the brand? Or do I need to grind it more? Anyone have advice for how to get the most out of sumac?

Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

Woohoo glad you're getting closer! Sorry I have no ideas about sumac or the molasses as I just take this stuff from my mom and/or MIL when needed. If I kept it at home it would just spoil. :blush: Are you sure you can't buy it at an international market/store? I've never heard of anyone actually making pomegranate molasses...

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

cheap sumac has the seeds ground in too, which makes it gritty. better grade does not have the ground seeds.

i think penzey's sumac is good. if there's not a penzey's near you, you can order online. williams sonoma has good quality sumac too.

In my experience too, the brands I've found at local Arabic/Mediterranean stores have not been the best. Is that where you got the gritty sumac?

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Hi sandinista and Roosha (and anyone else who wants to contribute!),

So yeah, I tried to make my own molasses from pomegranate juice. It wasn't too hard, except I got impatient once it had been boiling for an hour and a half. I pulled it off, and it's more like syrup than molasses. Anyway, I'll try to see if I can find it from an international store to see if that improves my fattoush any.

My sumac came from Dean and Deluca (in Kuwait), so I thought it would be more high quality than it is! There is a Penzey's here in Minneapolis, so I'll give their sumac a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks again, and I'll update once I've attempted the toum and fattoush again with better sumac and pomegranate molasses.

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Just brought this in off the grill... used fresh lemons and rosemary from the garden...

Naked Chicken

This is an easy recipe from this month's Cook's Magazine - basically take a whole chicken, remove the backbone, then butterfly it and de-skin it and stick skewers through the legs to keep them from flopping around. Marinate for an hour in a strong salt-sugar bath. Finally slather with a lemon-herb rub, then cook it fast with more lemons on a hot covered grill. Finish with a lemon-herb-butter sauce.

This turned out very very juicy and tender - not at all what you would expect from skinless chicken on the grill.

w6umb.jpg

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/article.asp?docid=42325

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Just brought this in off the grill... used fresh lemons and rosemary from the garden...

Naked Chicken

This is an easy recipe from this month's Cook's Magazine - basically take a whole chicken, remove the backbone, then butterfly it and de-skin it and stick skewers through the legs to keep them from flopping around. Marinate for an hour in a strong salt-sugar bath. Finally slather with a lemon-herb rub, then cook it fast with more lemons on a hot covered grill. Finish with a lemon-herb-butter sauce.

This turned out very very juicy and tender - not at all what you would expect from skinless chicken on the grill.

w6umb.jpg

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/article.asp?docid=42325

Spatchcock!! That looks and sounds amazing!!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Spatchcock!! That looks and sounds amazing!!

Haha yes ! Same trussing.

I must say it was pure awesomeness wrapped in a warm flour tortilla with cabbage slaw and avocado.... This was tonight's "watch the Spurs sweep the Lakers" fare...

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Does anyone know the Egyptian recipe for baked zucchini with meat and the milk sauce topping

(Kousa bil béchamel?)? I really love the dish and can't find a true Egyptian recipe anywhere. Thanks!

Engaged: 10/16/2013

I traveled to Cairo to meet him: 11/26/2013

Met in person: 11/28/2013

Religious Marriage: 11/28/2013

Miscarriage: 06/23/2014

Positive Pregnancy Test 2: 7/28/2014

Returned to USA: 09/29/2014

Yusuf born: 11/08/2014 RIP :cry:

Returned to Egypt: 03/06/2015

Filed I-129F: 07/27/2015

3AzEp3.png

xZaQp3.png

Y2yGp3.png

lBsRp3.png

h2G6p3.png

fcH0p3.png

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know the Egyptian recipe for baked zucchini with meat and the milk sauce topping

(Kousa bil béchamel?)? I really love the dish and can't find a true Egyptian recipe anywhere. Thanks!

Are you talking about something like Kousaa Mahshi? It's like Zucchini stuffed with meat and other spices, with a jameed sauce?

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.