Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
VP did you ever find that date syrup you were looking for?

I went to this arab food store and seen two kinds one from syria and one from iraq. One was in a can and one in a bottle and I thought about you and wondered if you ever found it????

Yes I did! Thank you for thinking of me :luv:

A VJ angel sent me two big jars :D and I've had aseeda rub twice since then :blush: This brand is from Lebanon and it's excellent :thumbs: I guess Lebanon has many great things to offer :luv:

Now in Egypt we bought it in a can not a jar and I didn't look at the can but I'm assuming it was Egyptian but I guess it's very possible it was imported from elsewhere.

The first time I made it here we had WAY too much because it's just me and my two kids and we all eat like birds. Well, my son is getting to a point where he's eating more than us... turning into a man :angry: doesn't he know he's supposed to stay my baby forever????? :blush::P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Where can I get Nabulsi sweet cheese from JP? What does it look like?

In Algeria I'm not sure. But when you get back home you should be able to find it in the arabic stores. It's the same as that white arabic cheese with the black seeds except its unsalted and no seeds. It's not really sweet but they call it sweet bcz its unsalted.

I tried to google it for an image, but I couldn't find one. It's called Nabulsi because it's made in Nablus and its the cheese of choice that Jordanians and Palistinians use when making it. It gets you the best results as well. :star:

haha how weird. My husband bought this cheese and I was thinking I thought it said Nablus on it so i looked and it does and it has little black seeds in it. I guess he wants kanafa :unsure:

Dont use that cheese! Thats the salted version of it for eating, they have one that has no seeds and no salt, thats the one you want. Nabulsi sweet cheese. :thumbs:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

In Algeria I'm not sure. But when you get back home you should be able to find it in the arabic stores. It's the same as that white arabic cheese with the black seeds except its unsalted and no seeds. It's not really sweet but they call it sweet bcz its unsalted.

I tried to google it for an image, but I couldn't find one. It's called Nabulsi because it's made in Nablus and its the cheese of choice that Jordanians and Palistinians use when making it. It gets you the best results as well. :star:

haha how weird. My husband bought this cheese and I was thinking I thought it said Nablus on it so i looked and it does and it has little black seeds in it. I guess he wants kanafa :unsure:

Dont use that cheese! Thats the salted version of it for eating, they have one that has no seeds and no salt, thats the one you want. Nabulsi sweet cheese. :thumbs:

what will happen if i used it? :lol: Payback time for the mansaf :ph34r:

Timeline

what will happen if i used it? :lol: Payback time for the mansaf :ph34r:

LOL , sweet and sour kanafeh :lol:

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Anyone know how to make pita bread?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Is there a Walmart in Cairo? I meant to make it for him when I'm there. I love fresh baked bread. Maybe I'll just pack a few pkgs of it though. :P

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Timeline
Is there a Walmart in Cairo? I meant to make it for him when I'm there. I love fresh baked bread. Maybe I'll just pack a few pkgs of it though. :P

Considering the mall there is four times bigger than the mall in my town I'm surprised there's not one already and I bet they'll have one eventually :lol:

Timeline

OMG this is soo cool, a Cookbook Wiki with cuisnes of the world!!! So many recipes and they are seperated by country :D

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
JP Got Magloobeh? :lol:

I need a magloobeh recipe preferably with chicken and califlower, but only for a few people I don't want to have leftover for days. Me and the hubby attempted it before but it just didn't turn out right.

I have a good one that has cauliflower, eggplant and fava beans in it. It has a lot of steps in it but its good and he says it was like at home. I'll post it today in a while.

warning: takes hours to make

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

here you go. It takes a long time, but its not hard and its pretty good. One really good thing about it is you can use more or less of everything and the fineshed product doesn't change much, so its hard to mess it up.

Maklooba

Chicken -whatever amounts of chicken you guys eat. I usually make this with 4 leg quarters.

Olive oil

1 T. ”mixed spices” local arab stores here have 2 brands and in bulk…all tastes the same and I don’t know whats in it. I hope you know which spice I mean.

1 T. allspice

1 t. cumin powder

salt and pepper

1 t. ground cardamom

water

fava beans (fresh, canned, dry (just soak overnight), all work)

a cauliflower, trimmed up ((I used frozen once and he didn’t know the difference, and once I used calif. Blend…he does not want to see broccoli in this again!! So don’t do that))

1 eggplant

2 sm or 1 lrg onion, sliced

1 ½ C. rice

more ground cardamom

more allspice

more “mixed spice”

more Salt and pepper

peel and cut up the eggplant. salt all the pieces good, put it in a strainer and weigh it down to squish all the water out of it for at least an hour or more.

Fry the chicken until it is brown, and then add all the first spices. Cover the chicken with water, cover and boil maybe 10-15 minutes.

In a diff pan, if you are using fresh (shell them) or raw (soak them) favas, boil about 15 minutes. If canned, just rince them. I use ½ a can of the larger beans.

In a diff frying pan, heat some oil, add the onion and fry the cauliflower and eggplant. Together or separately, no matter. Drain the oil into the empty big pot you will make the maklooba in.

In your big pot, cover the bottom with the oil you fried the onion, caulif & eggplant in. Then add the cooked chicken (not the water, just the chicken), then the beans, then the eggplant & cauliflower.

In a bowl mix the rice and the “more” spices. Add that mix to the big pot on top of the cauliflower and eggplant. Add enough water to it all to cover. Cover and cook about 20 minutes. Lower heat a lot, use a soup ladle or big spoon to remove excess water and let it cook few more minutes. Turn it off, keep covered about 10-15 min. If you have to remove more water, do it and let it set some more. It can be really messy and you can get hurt if you flip it when there is still too much water in it.

Get your serving tray ready, and when you are ready, flip it AWAY from you, over the sink. Sprinkle nuts on it if you want and you are done.

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.