Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Instead of vanilla extract (which is made with alcohol, therefore not halal), use the scrapings of the insides of a vanilla bean

I found immitation vanilla flavoring (not extract) in the grocery store (it was right beside the extract) and checked all the ingredients on a website to see if it had any alcohol (and were maybe calling it a different name) and everything checked out.

It tastes the same but I've found you have to use a little more than the recipe calls for to get the flavoring right.

While growing up, my mom always used the highest quality vanilla extract for cookies, so I'm kinda spoiled :blush: I've tried a lot of different brands of immitation stuff, and none of it stacks up, so I shell out the extra for the beans. What brand do you use?

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I have wondered about this before...the alcohol content in things like extract. The chemist in me knows that by the end of the cooking or baking process, there is no alcohol in the fineshed product. Do any of you know why cooking with alcohol is a big deal if in the end you are not consuming or serving alcohol...and the use of it can't possibly contribute to any kind of intoxication or morals-compromising behavior?

Just wondering. I'm not arguing it.

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Rahma I have also found that there is a difference in high quality vanilla extract and vanilla flavoring... it's just not the same. The vanilla beans are the best way to go for certain things but they are so expensive!

Filed: Timeline
I have wondered about this before...the alcohol content in things like extract. The chemist in me knows that by the end of the cooking or baking process, there is no alcohol in the fineshed product. Do any of you know why cooking with alcohol is a big deal if in the end you are not consuming or serving alcohol...and the use of it can't possibly contribute to any kind of intoxication or morals-compromising behavior?

Just wondering. I'm not arguing it.

For me it's because I don't believe we're supposed to use it at all in the first place. I know there are some christians who have to abstain from alcohol during certain fasts and they have told me the same thing... it cooks out... but I just don't like to add it to begin with.

Kanafeh

2 Packages Shredded Phyllo Dough

Kanafeh Food Coloring

1 Stick of unsalted butter, melted

2 packages of Nabulsi sweet cheese, sliced into 1/4" thick slices

Raw pistachios

Large Pan

Sugar Syrup without any rose or orange water, just plain syrup(if you need the recipe let me know)

1. After the dough is thawed, mix in some of the melted butter and mix. You may not need all of it, we just need to coat the dough and get it separated. Mix in the Kanafeh coloring (its powder), use as much as you like until you get the shade of orange you like. I have never used regular food coloring for this so I don't know the results.

2. In the large pan, spread out about half the phyllo and pat it down. Make sure the bottom is fully covered.

3. Lay the slices of cheese side by side on top of the dough.

4. Cover the cheese with the remaining phyllo dough. Make sure all the cheese is covered well! Also make sure the corners are covered too. Pat it down for an even look.

5. Bake it until the cheese melts and the top is a bit crunchy. Pour the cooled syrup on top. Don't put too much, some people don't like it dripping. You can always add extra syrup to individual pieces as they are being served.

6 If you like you can garnish each piece with sound ground raw pistachios.

Enjoy! :thumbs:

Is this a dessert? I'm looking for it on the other board and I don't see it.... what section would it be under?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
For Doodle:

Thanks! I made naan with chicken tikki masala this weekend and although the kids hated the chicken (too spicey for them) they loved the naan!

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello all :)

Regarding the vanilla issue, I looked around alot online and found something called Pure Vanilla Powder. Not sure if it's the same thing Moody is talking about or not. The only ingredients are vanilla bean and maltodextrin. When you use it you use the same amount as you would for the liquid vanilla extract that contains alcohol. It is very expensive, but I find it easier than to mess with vanilla beans. I get mine from Whole Foods market for anyone who has one of those near them.

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Regarding the vanilla issue, I looked around alot online and found something called Pure Vanilla Powder. Not sure if it's the same thing Moody is talking about or not. The only ingredients are vanilla bean and maltodextrin. When you use it you use the same amount as you would for the liquid vanilla extract that contains alcohol. It is very expensive, but I find it easier than to mess with vanilla beans. I get mine from Whole Foods market for anyone who has one of those near them.

So even though the alcohol cooks out its not ok?

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

As far as I know, it's not okay. Of course, there are some who use it anyways, figuring that since it won't affect you like drinking a beer or something, that it's okay.

I guess it's up to the individual to make a decision about whether they use it or not.

:)

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Oops, sorry Hicham. haha just kidding I haven't even baked anything with vanilla yet but I know he would only be upset if it was during Ramadan. No, I don't think he would even be upset about it then.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I'm making the kanafa Tuesday morning if anyone wants to come taste the results :)

Jackie

is it ready? I'll swing by on the way to work.

kidding of course, but I'm off at noon if you're serious

Have fun making it!!! I know you have been excited all week thinking about it so def have fun!

later

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm making the kanafa Tuesday morning if anyone wants to come taste the results :)

Jackie

is it ready? I'll swing by on the way to work.

kidding of course, but I'm off at noon if you're serious

Have fun making it!!! I know you have been excited all week thinking about it so def have fun!

later

Ohhhhhh Jackieeeeeeeee...Miss. Countdown queen...Can we please have a Kanafeh countdown? :lol: I wanna know what time to show up on your doorstep :star:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.