Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Well everybody with Ramadan coming and slowly going...and threads on cookbooks, food traditions ....we have posted alot of recipes...it gets kinda confusing going back and looking at them again...so I thought we could just open a recipe thread that could also contain any food adventures or mishaps,pics,questions and culture.... inchallah keep it going with new recipes, comments, questions posted regarding food...(not only MENA foods, but any foods)....ok I will start:

Algerien Bouzgene Khabilye(Berber) Bread with Roasted Pepper Sauce

2 red bell peppers

4 tomatoes

1 tablespoon olive oil

4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 jalapeno pepper, chopped

1 pinch salt to taste

2 pounds semolina

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3 cups water

4 tablespoons olive oil

6 tablespoons olive oil for frying

1. Preheat your oven's broiler. Place red bell peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet, and roast under the broiler for about 8 minutes, turning occasionally. This should blacken the skin and help it peel off more easily. Cool, then scrape the skins off of the tomatoes and peppers, and place them in a large bowl. Remove cores and seeds from the bell peppers.
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the jalapenos and garlic, and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and transfer the garlic and jalapeno to the bowl with the tomatoes and red peppers. Using two sharp steak knives (one in each hand), cut up the tomatoes and peppers to a coarse and soupy consistency. Stir, and set sauce aside.
  3. Place the semolina in a large bowl, and stir in salt and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Gradually add water while mixing and squeezing with your hand until the dough holds together without being sticky or dry, and molds easily with the hand. Divide into 6 pieces and form into balls.
  4. For each round, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Roll out dough one round at a time, to no thicker than 1/4 inch. Fry in the hot skillet until dark brown spots appear on the surface, and they are crispy. Remove from the skillet, and wrap in a clean towel while preparing the remaining flat breads.
  5. To eat the bread and sauce, break off pieces of the bread, and scoop them into the sauce.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
Well everybody with Ramadan coming and slowly going...and threads on cookbooks, food traditions ....we have posted alot of recipes...it gets kinda confusing going back and looking at them again...so I thought we could just open a recipe thread that could also contain any food adventures or mishaps,pics,questions and culture.... inchallah keep it going with new recipes, comments, questions posted regarding food...(not only MENA foods, but any foods)....

Haha we've tried a million times. Either the thread derails, or it falls off the front page due to no one posting for a while. Then, rather than bring it back, someone just opens a new thread.

I appreciate everyone's efforts -- but I just try to copy them into my file as I see them, otherwise I may not find them again. I must say, many of your recipes are in there ! :thumbs: Keep 'em coming....

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
2 pounds semolina

ok stupid question...isn't semolina the stuff that causes you to get sick if you eat uncooked chicken? :unsure:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

2 pounds semolina

ok stupid question...isn't semolina the stuff that causes you to get sick if you eat uncooked chicken? :unsure:

that's salmonella. semolina is a ground grain, like cream of wheat

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

thanks.

:blush:

told ya i don't bake. lol

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

2 pounds semolina

You crack me up Doodle! Well see I started this thread just for this reason...

Semolina is coarsely ground grain, usually wheat, with particles mostly between 0.25 and 0.75 mm in diameter. The same milling grade is sometimes called farina, or grits if made from maize. It refers to two very different products: semolina for porridge is usually steel-cut soft common wheat whereas "durum semolina" used for pasta or gnocchi is coarsely ground from either durum wheat or other hard wheat, usually the latter because it costs less to grow.

Non-durum semolina porridge or farina has come to be known in the United States by the trade name Cream of Wheat.

Semolina pudding is made by boiling or baking the grain with milk and sweeteners. The pudding can be flavoured with vanilla, served with jam, and eaten hot or cold.

In Italy (Tuscany) spaghetti made with semolina are called pici. In most of India, it is known as sooji; in southern India, rava. The even finer (powder) version of this is called 'maida' (wheat powder) from which noodles etc. are made. 'sooji' is considered healthier then 'maida' as 'maida'sticks to the intestines. In much of North Africa and the Middle-East, it is made into the staple couscous.

In Turkey "irmik helvası" (halva of semolina), made with semolina scorched with sugar, butter, milk and pine nut, is a very popular traditional dessert which is made especially after funeral ceremonies.

It can be used as an alternative to corn meal to 'flour' the underside of fresh pizza dough to prevent it from sticking to the peel.

In breadmaking, a small proportion of semolina added to the usual mix of flour produces a tasty crust.

250px-Rava-far.jpgAccording to Wikipedia:

Semolina is coarsely ground grain, usually wheat, with particles mostly between 0.25 and 0.75 mm in diameter. The same milling grade is sometimes called farina, or grits if made from maize. It refers to two very different products: semolina for porridge is usually steel-cut soft common wheat whereas "durum semolina" used for pasta or gnocchi is coarsely ground from either durum wheat or other hard wheat, usually the latter because it costs less to grow.

Non-durum semolina porridge or farina has come to be known in the United States by the trade name Cream of Wheat.

Semolina pudding is made by boiling or baking the grain with milk and sweeteners. The pudding can be flavoured with vanilla, served with jam, and eaten hot or cold.

In Italy (Tuscany) spaghetti made with semolina are called pici. In most of India, it is known as sooji; in southern India, rava. The even finer (powder) version of this is called 'maida' (wheat powder) from which noodles etc. are made. 'sooji' is considered healthier then 'maida' as 'maida'sticks to the intestines. In much of North Africa and the Middle-East, it is made into the staple couscous.

In Turkey "irmik helvası" (halva of semolina), made with semolina scorched with sugar, butter, milk and pine nut, is a very popular traditional dessert which is made especially after funeral ceremonies.

It can be used as an alternative to corn meal to 'flour' the underside of fresh pizza dough to prevent it from sticking to the peel.

In breadmaking, a small proportion of semolina added to the usual mix of flour produces a tasty crust.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

2 pounds semolina

SEMOLINA is a type of flour...your thinking about salmonella :lol:

Edited:

**Looks like everybody was on-line at the same time!**

Edited by maryandatif

Mary (NC) Atif (Youssoufia)

NOA2 for 129F on 16 Nov 2005......NOA2 for I-130 on 28 Nov 2005

INTERVIEW DATE SCHEDULED FOR 9AM[GMT] 27 FEBRUARY 2006-Issued 221g for Validity of relationship....told being sent back to USCIS/Atif Received Visa On 10 March 2006

AOS/EAD

10 July 2006--signed I-485 and I-765

25 July 2006 recieved NOA-1 for both

18 Aug 2006 Biometrics Appt.

21 Oct 2006 EAD arrives in mail

26 Dec 2006 received aapt.->01 Feb 2007 AOS interview->CANCELLED! rescheduled 01 Aug 2007-waiting

09 Feb '07-received denial of AOS--#######??!! MTR filed--Interview-01 Aug 07

27 Sept '07-I-765 [#2] filed--14 Nov '07 Biomerics for I-765 [#2]

Take it from me....GO TO THE AOS INTERVIEW DATE ANYWAY!!!!! EVEN IF YOU GET THE SNAIL MAIL NOTICE!!!

August 2009--Permanent Resident Card arrives!!!!

We are Finished with Immigration for 10 years!!!!

Timeline

2 pounds semolina

SEMOLINA is a type of flour...your thinking about salmonella :lol:

Edited:

**Looks like everybody was on-line at the same time!**

:lol::lol::lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Dessert recipe

I know Eid is right around the corner, so here is a dessert recipe that will knock everyones socks off. :star:

3ish il Saraya

1 Loaf of White Bread (I usually use Sara Lee Honey White)

1/2 gallon heavy cream or manufacturers cream

6 TBS of Cornstarch

4 TBS of Orange Blossom Water ( you can use Rose water if you wish)

2.5 cups Sugar (2 cups for one part, 1/2 cup for the other part)

1.5 Cups water

1 TBS Vanilla

1/2 cup Raw Pistachios

Orange Jam/marmalade

Round Tray about 16 inches in diameter or bigger with a 1 inch lip (you can buy the disposable kind from a party store) it should look like this:

disppizzapan1.jpg

1. Cut all the crusts off the bread and toast it to a golden brown, set aside.

2. In a medium sauce pan over high heat, take 2 TBS from the 2 cups of sugar and add them to the sauce pan. Let the sugar melt to a golden brown color. Add the water, the remaining sugar from the 2 cups, 2TBS of Orange water, stil and let it dissolve. After it has come to a boil turn it off and set aside.

3. Get a large pot and add the cream, cornstarch, 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 TBS of Orange water, 1 TBS of vanilla and cook over medium heat while stirring the entire time until it comes to a boil. It will be really thick and grow in volume so make sure the pot is big enough.

Assembly

Arrange the toasted bread in the pan and make sure there are no empty spots, you may have to break up some pieces in cram them in. Pour the sugar syrup over the bread and make sure you have each piece coated well, after you have poured it all on flip the pieces of bread over to make sure both sides have soaked up the syrup.

Pour the cream mixture over the bread now and spread it evenly making sure the bread doesnt show through.

Ground the pistachios and spread them all over the top. Put dollops of jam around the edges and one in the center as garnish.

Cover with Saran Wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. The cream will set and become custard like.

You can also garnish it with fruit, but you should wait until teh cream is halfway set.

Enjoy! :star:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.