NYCGirl18

Health Reasons a Medical Exam Wouldn't Get Approved?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone!

This may be in another forum already, and if so, please direct me there! :)

If not ... I'm wondering how exactly the medical exam works. Is there some sort of reference guide to what they are looking for in your physical / exam? I mean, if someone has a certain type of syndrome/condition/disease will they automatically be prevented from ever being approved? Or are they only looking to make sure the person is pretty much in overall "good health?"

Also ... what sorts of questions do they ask you, and what types of tests/procedures/etc. do they require during the actual exam? Is it different for everyone, based on location or pretty much the same?

Thanks!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

they just check to see if the person is in overall good health. They take blood, and they take chest xrays and they make sure the person is up to date on immunizations. They check for TB, Hepatitis and a few other communicable diseases.

Can't have syphilis, gonorrhea, tuberculosis, can't be homicidal, suicidal. They want to make sure the person is not a threat to the general population of the US. There should be a lot of threads here on the medical at Knightsbridge.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

they just check to see if the person is in overall good health. They take blood, and they take chest xrays and they make sure the person is up to date on immunizations. They check for TB, Hepatitis and a few other communicable diseases.

They don't care about overall good health.

They care about what diseases you could be bringing into the country. They test for TB, syphilus and some certain other stds and that's about it.

Edit: they also ask about mental health.

You could have a myriad of health conditions including HIV and still be admitted.

Edited by Xanax

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

They don't care about overall good health.

They care about what diseases you could be bringing into the country. They test for TB, syphilus and some certain other stds and that's about it.

Edit: they also ask about mental health.

You could have a myriad of health conditions including HIV and still be admitted.

Really?? Even HIV? So I'm curious then ... what diseases / conditions would be a reason for them to fail you at the medical exam?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Really?? Even HIV? So I'm curious then ... what diseases / conditions would be a reason for them to fail you at the medical exam?

1. Tuberculosis

2. Syphilis

3. Chancroid

4. Gonorrhea

5. Granuloma Inguinale

6. Lymphogranuloma Venereum

7. Hansen's Disease (Leprosy)

In addition to these are any quarantinable communicable diseases specified in any current Presidential executive order. Current additions include:

1. pandemic flu

2. SARS

3. viral hemorrhagic fevers

4. cholera

5. diphtheria

6. infectious tuberculosis

7. plague

8. smallpox

9. yellow fever

There's also a host of required vaccines. Which ones are required depend on the age of the immigrant.

They will also deny an immigrant on medical grounds if they have a physical or mental disorder, or a history of such a disorder, that makes them a danger to themselves or others. They will also deny them if they are determined to be a drug or alcohol abuser or addict.

HIV used to be on the list. It was removed in 2009.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

1. Tuberculosis

2. Syphilis

3. Chancroid

4. Gonorrhea

5. Granuloma Inguinale

6. Lymphogranuloma Venereum

7. Hansen's Disease (Leprosy)

In addition to these are any quarantinable communicable diseases specified in any current Presidential executive order. Current additions include:

1. pandemic flu

2. SARS

3. viral hemorrhagic fevers

4. cholera

5. diphtheria

6. infectious tuberculosis

7. plague

8. smallpox

9. yellow fever

There's also a host of required vaccines. Which ones are required depend on the age of the immigrant.

They will also deny an immigrant on medical grounds if they have a physical or mental disorder, or a history of such a disorder, that makes them a danger to themselves or others. They will also deny them if they are determined to be a drug or alcohol abuser or addict.

HIV used to be on the list. It was removed in 2009.

Are the top 7 all (incurable) STDs? I've never heard of many of them ... what happens if the person tests positive for something that is curable? Couldn't they just treat it, retest the person, and then approve them?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

NO.They are not "incurable" STD's.

If you had one you would get it treated and then the panel physician can sign off that you have been treated and no longer have the condition.

I am sure about the conditions listed that are not STD's.

Edited by Xanax

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

If it's curable, then yes, treatment is given. Some are not curable or the treatment takes a long long time (TB).

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good to know. Thank you.

You're also able to apply for a waiver I believe on some of them, syphilis is one where you can apply for a waiver.

They only do the chest X-ray, if your TB test comes back positive!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There are also other diseases/syndromes etc where a 'public charge' might be suspected. For example, if one has cancer, even if technically treatable, a visa could be denied because of the threat of coming to the US to be public charge. There was a post recently of a man wanting to bring his mother who has dementia. Although technically not on the list that jim posted, the visa was denied because the mother could be a public charge

If you have something specific then you should post it for more relevant answers

AF-wife - I had a chest x-ray for TB in my medical, it is standard in most countries. I had a negative skin test earlier that year (I teach so it was necessary) and the chest x-ray was still mandatory

Good luck

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

They only do the chest X-ray, if your TB test comes back positive!

Nope. Chest x-ray is standard in Australia, they don't do the skin test. I believe it's common in the Philippines too. Heaps of countries actually because there's a lot of talk about how pregnant women can avoid the chest x-ray.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.