Houston Pinoy

Can being divorced in Nevada while living in Texas hurt a friend of mine

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone

I just found out from my friend, who is a Filipina also, that she got a divorce through a paralegal service in Nevada. She just told me she read online that there are possible legal difficulties if the U.S. government that is in charge of these things were to find out that she got married through a state she never lived in, and that it could invalidate her divorce in the Philippines and her marriage to her husband here in the U.S.

She obviously has never lives in Nevada and never met the person who did her divorce.

She is my best friend here and asked if I know of any legal problems she might have in the future because her divorce wasn't done the correct way. I told her I didn't know but that I would ask people on this site,

She does have her green card though, she got it a couple of weeks ago. Would having it mean she couldn't get in trouble anymore?

Her biggest concern is being sent back home because of this.

Thank you all in advance

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Nevada requires residency of 6 weeks with the intent to stay in Nevada in order to get a divorce by one of the spouses!!!! Probably the paralegal when filling the papers used her own address or somebody else address, and yes your friend can have problem because of that!! Ask her to check what States her divorce decree.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Did she get married through a state she never lived in, though ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Nevada requires residency of 6 weeks with the intent to stay in Nevada in order to get a divorce by one of the spouses!!!! Probably the paralegal when filling the papers used her own address or somebody else address. Ask her to check what States her divorce decree.

Thanks for the quick reply.

She says her divorce is from Nevada and the address is Nevada address but she doesn't know who's address it is. She is worried because she is a teacher and it can be easily found that when she filed for divorce, even if the paralegal used their own address, that she was living in Texas a teaching at her school. She can't prove she actually lived in Nevada.

Did she get married through a state she never lived in, though ?

No she got married in Texas and has lived here for a few years. She just got divorce through a state she never lived in.

She should consult a new attorney. Her divorce was obtained fraudulently which means she may not have been free to marry. Big can of worms.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Nevada requires residency of 6 weeks with the intent to stay in Nevada in order to get a divorce by one of the spouses!!!! Probably the paralegal when filling the papers used her own address or somebody else address, and yes your friend can have problem because of that!! Ask her to check what States her divorce decree.

It does not matter where she got married. As to the actual divorce, Sandranj stated what Nevada requires. However it only requires that of one spouse and not both. But I'm assuming neither one of them lived in Nevada and she claimed she did live in Nevada. When she signed the papers to get divorced in Nevada, she did sign under oath that she lived in Nevada for 6 weeks with the intent to remain in Nevada and also stated the actual physical address she was claiming to live at. Nevada judges are usually pretty savy at knowing the local hotels, etc. when people try to use those as an address and then the judge will request additional information. So the address she put down as hers was probably not the paralegal's address since Nevada judge's would become wise if they kept seeing the same address on divorce papers presented to them. But the legal issue is that Nevada did not have jurisdiction to enter the divorce. This probably does not make the divorce void at this point in time, but if it was ever presented to the court it would become void. Jurisdiction is an issue that can be raised at any point in time, including after an Order is entered. If the court did not have jurisdiction, it simply did not have any power to issue any order. Her signing the papers under oath in front of a Notary (as required in Nevada) could also technically be considered perjury. But the district attorney's usually have bigger fish to fry.

Edited by BrNv

Timeline

I guess the real answer depends on 3 things ...

1. her current USCitizenship status or current residency status and what her residency is BASED on,

2. her VISA type getting her into the USA and

3. if she was married to a USCitizen prior, or not (ie - some other foreign national)

Can answer these 3 questions? then i'm happy to think a bit more, give you a more pointed response.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1. You said she was divorced in Nevada even though she never lived there. Why? Does her ex live there?

2. Did she file the divorce? Or did her former spouse?

3. Why did she also marry in Nevada? Or is this a typo and you meant to write "legal difficulties if the U.S. government that is in charge of these things were to find out that she got marrieddivorced through a state she never lived in"

4. What visa did she enter on?

From what i understand (and please correct me where i'm wrong). Your friend WAS married to another USC. She obtained a divorce through Nevada and had that marriage recognised in the Philippines. Married her NEW USC and obtained an immigration benefit from him. She is concerned that if her divorce in Nevada is invalid, that she was never really married to her new USC, and therefore not eligible for immigration benefits from him. Right?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone

I just found out from my friend, who is a Filipina also, that she got a divorce through a paralegal service in Nevada. She just told me she read online that there are possible legal difficulties if the U.S. government that is in charge of these things were to find out that she got married through a state she never lived in, and that it could invalidate her divorce in the Philippines and her marriage to her husband here in the U.S.

She obviously has never lives in Nevada and never met the person who did her divorce.

She is my best friend here and asked if I know of any legal problems she might have in the future because her divorce wasn't done the correct way. I told her I didn't know but that I would ask people on this site,

She does have her green card though, she got it a couple of weeks ago. Would having it mean she couldn't get in trouble anymore?

Thank you all in advance

How convenient. Another Filipina divorcing her husband after getting a green card. What a scam and fraud. Hopes she get nailed for the fraud.

Edited by RickJovi

How convenient. Another Filipina divorcing her husband after getting a green card. What a scam and fraud. Hopes she get nailed for the fraud.

I would be a little careful with making comments like that here. maybe she's actually the exception. maybe she had a good reason. we don't know the story and we aren't here to judge people. People judged me like crazy here, because I adjusted my status from VWP. I would NEVER judge a person like that, because I know how it feels to be on the other end!

Edited by AF-Wife

Timeline

I find judging to be less circumstantial, when more facts are laid bare.

Just saying.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The potential issue is that she was not truthful to the court in Nevada. If she is questioned about her divorce a removal of conditions interview (or citizenship interview) then the lying to the Nevada court could be a problem. The interviewing officer would then have reason to believe that she is not being truthful about other aspects. But that is too late to change. She has already done the deed.

Worst case scenario - deportation and a lifetime ban. That's not likely, but it is possible.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would be a little careful with making comments like that here. maybe she's actually the exception. maybe she had a good reason. we don't know the story and we aren't here to judge people. People judged me like crazy here, because I adjusted my status from VWP. I would NEVER judge a person like that, because I know how it feels to be on the other end!

Sorry but I won't watch what I say. I have been on the receiving end of my ex-filipina wife who used me and I know of a lot of other filipina that is their objective. I did not say all Filipinas are like that but there is a fair share of them that are. There are good, but there are also bad. Maybe you are the exception.

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Sorry but I won't watch what I say. I have been on the receiving end of my ex-filipina wife who used me and I know of a lot of other filipina that is their objective. I did not say all Filipinas are like that but there is a fair share of them that are. There are good, but there are also bad. Maybe you are the exception.

While there are many different situations, most people play by the rules even with the time difficulties in doing so sometimes. But in this case she intentionally ignored the laws and rules and misrepresented herself to get a divorce she was not entitled to where most U.S. citizens will not lie to get a quick divorce in Nevada and will follow their own state's laws. I usually try to not be judgmental, but this does make her intentions questionable.

Edited by BrNv

Timeline

Hello everyone

Thank you all in advance

Hi ! What residency card/permit did your friend hold before filing for divorce?

What residency card/permit did your friend hold after the divorce was finalized?

What residency card/permit did your friend hold after marrying the fella in Texas ?

Thanks so much for answering my questions - as when you answer MY questions, I can give you some other detailed info on the pile of pig sh|t yer friend created for herself.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.