sonder

Joint Credit Card Statement

42 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

So I was late to add my wife to my both Capital one & Citi credit card. Today I got the monthly statement for both credit card accounts but it shows only primary account holder (my self) name. I called both credit card & they say only primary account holder's name will appear in the monthly statements. And, this is the fact for not just me, every one who has joint credit card. Now, my question is how do you prove it to USCIS having joint credit account apart from the crappy letter & print out of both users card? I added my wife to my credit card assuming that her name will appear in the monthly statements also. I have come across so many posts in VJ people saying joint credit card issue. How do you get the statement with both names? Is there any specific bank or creditor who does it?

Edited by sonder

Filed: Timeline

Unfortunately, you are the only one with a credit history, and this card will not really build her credit. She is a user, but the history is attached to your SSN. I've been through the same thing with my husband. Bank of America does allow a small secured card starting at $300 to which your wife could begin using and after 1 year, they will instate a real credit card based on her history and return the $300 deposit. That might be an option if history building is what you are trying to do.

Just a thought.

So I was late to add my wife to my both Capital one & Citi credit card. Today I got the monthly statement for both credit card accounts but it shows only primary account holder (my self) name. I called both credit card & they say only primary account holder's name will appear in the monthly statements. And, this is the fact for not just me, every one who has joint credit card. Now, my question is how do you prove it to USCIS having joint credit account apart from the crappy letter & print out of both users card? I added my wife to my credit card assuming that her name will appear in the monthly statements also. I have come across so many posts in VJ people saying joint credit card issue. How do you get the statement with both names? Is there any specific bank or creditor who does it?

I called my credit card company and had them send me a letter "confirming" that my husband was a registered used on my card.

They sent a letter showing both names as users on the account on their letterhead and signed by a service rep. I sent a copy of that letter with my i130 petition. I haven't gotten my NOA2 yet, but I would think that letter should do!! :)

Good luck!

Met Through Mutual Friends: Early March 2009

Began dating: June 24th, 2010

Met in Manchester, England: October 20, 2010 to Oct 25, 2010

"Officially" became a couple: November 25, 2010

New Years together in England: Dec 26, 2010 to Jan 2, 2011

Visit to meet my family: February 19, 2011 to February 26, 2011

Visit to spend Easter/Spring Break together: April 16, 2011 to April 30, 2011

Spent the summer together in New York: June 23, 2011 to August 1, 2011

Came to visit just after my birthday: October 13, 2011 to October 23, 2011

Officially Announced Our Engagement: November 30, 2011

Trip to NY for New Years: December 27, 2011 to January 9, 2012

Wedding Day: January 4th, 2012

Trip to England & Italy for Valentine's Day: February 10, 2012 to February 20, 2012

Visit to NY for our 2 year dating anniversary: June 20th, 2012 to July 4th, 2012

Timeline

USCIS

01/08/2012: I-130 Sent from NY

01/11/2012: USPS Delivery Confirmation

01/12/2012: NOA1 E-mail & Text

XX/XX/2012: NOA2 E-mail & Text(STILL waitinggg... Ahhh!)

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number/IIN

XX/XX/2012: DS-3032 sent

XX/XX/2012: DS-3032 accepted

XX/XX/2012: AOS Bill PAID

XX/XX/2012: AOS Package sent

XX/XX/2012: IV Bill PAID

XX/XX/2012: IV Package sent

XX/XX/2012: Case complete at NVC

XX/XX/2012: Interview scheduled (Interview Date: XX/XX/2012)

US Embassy London

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa

XX/XX/2012: POE Boston

Timeline

Unfortunately, you are the only one with a credit history, and this card will not really build her credit. She is a user, but the history is attached to your SSN. I've been through the same thing with my husband. Bank of America does allow a small secured card starting at $300 to which your wife could begin using and after 1 year, they will instate a real credit card based on her history and return the $300 deposit. That might be an option if history building is what you are trying to do.

Just a thought.

I am not concerned about building wife's credit history. Please stick to the point & answer only the question been asked (if you know the answer) :bonk:

FYI: BOA is the worst piece of ####### on this planet. never work with BOA (personal experience)

Also, as tolsab said.. I don't think that it will build any credit for your wife, but as far as "proof of joint accounts" it will most likely benefit you to have her added and get a confirmation letter proving it.

Met Through Mutual Friends: Early March 2009

Began dating: June 24th, 2010

Met in Manchester, England: October 20, 2010 to Oct 25, 2010

"Officially" became a couple: November 25, 2010

New Years together in England: Dec 26, 2010 to Jan 2, 2011

Visit to meet my family: February 19, 2011 to February 26, 2011

Visit to spend Easter/Spring Break together: April 16, 2011 to April 30, 2011

Spent the summer together in New York: June 23, 2011 to August 1, 2011

Came to visit just after my birthday: October 13, 2011 to October 23, 2011

Officially Announced Our Engagement: November 30, 2011

Trip to NY for New Years: December 27, 2011 to January 9, 2012

Wedding Day: January 4th, 2012

Trip to England & Italy for Valentine's Day: February 10, 2012 to February 20, 2012

Visit to NY for our 2 year dating anniversary: June 20th, 2012 to July 4th, 2012

Timeline

USCIS

01/08/2012: I-130 Sent from NY

01/11/2012: USPS Delivery Confirmation

01/12/2012: NOA1 E-mail & Text

XX/XX/2012: NOA2 E-mail & Text(STILL waitinggg... Ahhh!)

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number/IIN

XX/XX/2012: DS-3032 sent

XX/XX/2012: DS-3032 accepted

XX/XX/2012: AOS Bill PAID

XX/XX/2012: AOS Package sent

XX/XX/2012: IV Bill PAID

XX/XX/2012: IV Package sent

XX/XX/2012: Case complete at NVC

XX/XX/2012: Interview scheduled (Interview Date: XX/XX/2012)

US Embassy London

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa

XX/XX/2012: POE Boston

Timeline

Also, as tolsab said.. I don't think that it will build any credit for your wife, but as far as "proof of joint accounts" it will most likely benefit you to have her added and get a confirmation letter proving it.

I have got that crappy letter mentioning her as an authorized user to my credit card. Is this is all you get? Why people talk about having joint credit card statement in VJ forum then?

I have got that crappy letter mentioning her as an authorized user to my credit card. Is this is all you get? Why people talk about having joint credit card statement in VJ forum then?

If you're dealing with Bank Of America and want to add your wife as a joint card holder, there is a form they will mail you to fill out and return to them. Granted this won't help you immediately with USCIS, but that's how you do it. I just sent in the form for my wife last week.

If your wife is an authorized user and has a card in her name, make copies of both your card and hers on the same piece of paper and this will show the numbers are the same for the two cards.

Edited by Teddy B

Timeline

She was only trying to help even if she missed the point of your question. This site is about helping others, that's what she was trying to do.

Of course everyone here trying to help each other. I do not think I have crossed the line and went about saying anything inappropriate!!! The BOA thing is just a side note (helping others also).

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Get Capitalone/Citi to send you a letter confirming that she is an authorized user on the account. Send copies of both of the cards showing the same numbers with both names.

Of course everyone here trying to help each other. I do not think I have crossed the line and went about saying anything inappropriate!!! The BOA thing is just a side note (helping others also).

I'm not sure why people keep bringing up BOA..? :bonk:

Timeline

Get Capitalone/Citi to send you a letter confirming that she is an authorized user on the account. Send copies of both of the cards showing the same numbers with both names.

IMHO, I have already mentioned in my post that the letter & both card copies (front & back) has already been sent !!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

There is a difference between authorized user and joint account holder. No one will let her be the joint account holder (in this case the name is on every bill) unless she has a good credit. Even though you have an account with them. I was an authorized user on all accounts for 1 year and only when my credit got better, they put me as a joint. My husband tried everything but companies just work this way to secure themselves. We have Chase and Boa. Joint account holder means she will be equally responsible for the debt, for this they run credit through social at all agencies. Imo not being a citizen plays its role too.

AOS from B1/B2:

January 12 - I-130 & I-485 Delivered

January 24 - Both checks cashed

January 26 - Both NoAs received

February 9 - Biometrics letter received

February 17 - Biometrics appointment

January 18 - Green Card Ordered (No Interview)

January 22 - Green Card Mailed

Timeline

There is a difference between authorized user and joint account holder. No one will let her be the joint account holder (in this case the name is on every bill) unless she has a good credit. Even though you have an account with them. I was an authorized user on all accounts for 1 year and only when my credit got better, they put me as a joint. My husband tried everything but companies just work this way to secure themselves. We have Chase and Boa. Joint account holder means she will be equally responsible for the debt, for this they run credit through social at all agencies. Imo not being a citizen plays its role too.

Actually I pulled this handy document just now which explains things clearly. So, after 1 year when you you a joint account holder with your husband, your monthly statement shows both names?

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-guy-authorized-user-joint-accounts-1292.php

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.