Stillnosheep

We are foreign parents of a US born child, now what?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Dear All,

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this site, I've enjoyed lurking around for some days now.

Okay here's my situation.

My wife and I gave birth in the US to a lovely baby boy a year ago, neither her nor I are US citizens. We made the decision to give birth in the US to give our child a headstart in life ( well who can blame us). We all came from developping countries currently living in on of the most happening cities in the world ( i.e shanghai).

We all hold decent jobs, with good pay and really no other major issue. It cost us a fortune to do this, but it was perfect,everything went as smoothly as it can get, and not once did we encounter a problem during the whole process(we did our homework and prepared well, financially and psychologically).

we are thinking of moving to US when the boy is 5 years old for him to start school, and this is where you come in.

FYI, I work for a British company while my wife works for an american company ( she's fairly high up on the ladder, we're all based in Shanghai.

in our situation, what's the best route ( if any) can we explore to get a US Green Card or PR?

We would like our son to go to school in US all the way till college graduation, meaning we will have to be there with him, seeking new employments and all.

Any advice will be hightly appreciated and I will find a way to make it worth your while ( probably by just replying to as many topics as possible).

Thanks again.

Birth tourism... :no:

You can look for a work visa. Your baby's status gives you nothing.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Since your wife is high up, she should check with her company about an L visa for her to transfer to a US branch of her company. Depending on your country of citizenship, you may also qualify for the DV lottery. Your son cannot get you into the US for many years yet.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Another vote for the company transfer.

You need to speak with your management/HR.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Work visa is going to be the only possible way, or DV. I'm assuming you didn't violate your visas or overstay in coming here to give birth.

Otherwise you can look into boarding school in America for your child.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm sorry to sound incredulous, but the 'tour company' that you paid your monies to, to come to USA and handle the birth,

what did THEY tell you, way back, when you were paying that first deposit? [in regards to what is do-able for the child's citizenship usage]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Another vote for the company transfer.

You need to speak with your management/HR.

Thanks all for all your input, actually we are also leaning more towards the "company transfer" option which is almost certain to happen should we decide to choose it. We just wanted to know what else is out there.

I'm sorry to sound incredulous, but the 'tour company' that you paid your monies to, to come to USA and handle the birth,

what did THEY tell you, way back, when you were paying that first deposit? [in regards to what is do-able for the child's citizenship usage]

Thanks Darnell for your input,actually we didn't use any tour company,agent,or middle man we did everything by ourselves.Getting a visa wasn't an issue because we've all previously been in the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

are you and yer wife PRC people, or something else? if something else, what ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Until he is 18 and can petition for his parents.

can't do anything til ur child turns 18

No,21 is the age that the child could file a petition for the parents not 18!

I-130 SENT 2012/01/20

I-130 NOA1 2012/01/24

I-130 NOA2 2012/06/12

NVC receiv 2012/07/02

NVC case # 2012/07/13

DS-3032 emailed 2012/07/13

AOS paid 2012/07/20

AOS sent 2012/07/23

DS-3032 Accepted 2012/07/24

IV paid 2012/07/25

IV/DS-230 sent 2012/07/26

RFE missing pay stubs 2012/08/03

Case completed 2012/08/16

Inteview Date 2012/10/16

221g (new co-sponsor and proof of domicile for my son) crazy stuff!

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

No,21 is the age that the child could file a petition for the parents not 18!

This is true, I stand corrected.

From USCIS website:

Eligibility

To petition for your parents (mother or father) to live in the United States as green card holders, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Birth tourism is as valid as any other. People who want to come here to enrich their lives as well as the community they will be in here in the US are always welcome.

Why would anyone ever be negative about someone who does everything by-the-book? It is refreshing to see someone who wants a bright future for his/her family and is not intent on getting that by sponging off everyone else, for a change. (I live in Houston where the majority of the translating here is done by young kids for their parents. Sigh.)

Good luck with your family.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is true, I stand corrected.

From USCIS website:

:thumbs: :thumbs:

I-130 SENT 2012/01/20

I-130 NOA1 2012/01/24

I-130 NOA2 2012/06/12

NVC receiv 2012/07/02

NVC case # 2012/07/13

DS-3032 emailed 2012/07/13

AOS paid 2012/07/20

AOS sent 2012/07/23

DS-3032 Accepted 2012/07/24

IV paid 2012/07/25

IV/DS-230 sent 2012/07/26

RFE missing pay stubs 2012/08/03

Case completed 2012/08/16

Inteview Date 2012/10/16

221g (new co-sponsor and proof of domicile for my son) crazy stuff!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.