Stillnosheep

We are foreign parents of a US born child, now what?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm sorry (for the OP) but

the majority of PRC folk who birth in USA

are really doing it for their retirement plan.

Here's the model:

1. send kid to school in USA for university

2. kid applies for IR-5's when reaching 21 years

and that's it. What yer describing, your plan, prior to child's 21st birthday, is mostly undoable, as usually the parents have no valid reason for coming to the USA when the child is under 21.

You MIGHT be a special case, if'n one of 'your companies' can arrange an inter-company transfer, but that's really tenuous, at best, and not cost effective for the company, at worst.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I am actually against birthright citizenship and fully agree that its usefulness has passed, but while this is a legal option, I don't have any issues with anyone who is trying to be responsible in gaining US citizenship for their child.

It IS nice to see someone who is trying to do something completely within the law and I am believe that being able to contribute to our society and economy is a good thing. Retiring here is not a bad thing, either, if that is their plan. Since the parents are employed and are contemplating options of working here in the US, that is even better.

Living in a sanctuary city and working for a major provider of health care means that I am face-to-face with those who are completely flaunting their illegal status on a daily basis (and are quite proud to proclaim it openly). Going through this visa and immigration process makes me less tolerant and compassionate about those who blatantly disregard the laws of this great country. I am delighted to see an example of someone who is trying to be responsible and honest.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: Timeline

Birth tourism is as valid as any other. People who want to come here to enrich their lives as well as the community they will be in here in the US are always welcome.

Why would anyone ever be negative about someone who does everything by-the-book? It is refreshing to see someone who wants a bright future for his/her family and is not intent on getting that by sponging off everyone else, for a change. (I live in Houston where the majority of the translating here is done by young kids for their parents. Sigh.)

Good luck with your family.

I know someone who did everything 'by the book' + Hid her pregnancy, lied about her purpose of visit. Had a baby here and you and I paid the $22k hospital bill. To rub it in our faces - she gave her child a middle name - Austin' and is back here to poop out another one right now. I am happy to know that you would like to foot another $22k so I can be spared this time.

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

I'm back, I am really happy to see people's opinions/angles on this,this is the kind of frank exchanges I was aiming for. We knew from the get go that we can't rely on our child to claim citizenship, this piece of info is readily available on the USCIS website ( and one doesn't go to give birth in US without checking the USCIS website).

I personally wanted to see what else is out there, as I would hate myself to miss out on a good opportunity just because I didn't ask.

To sum it, we will be going the work relocation route for both of us as we are lucky to be in a position to do so. We are talking about 3 to 4 years down the road before we even start anything, a lot could change before then. The job market is awesome in Shanghai, and we would like to currently be here for our son to get a solid hold on the Chinese language as well as being part of the biggest transformation of the city ( Financially, politically, socially, culturally etc...)

Thanks all and God bless you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am actually against birthright citizenship and fully agree that its usefulness has passed, but while this is a legal option, I don't have any issues with anyone who is trying to be responsible in gaining US citizenship for their child.

It IS nice to see someone who is trying to do something completely within the law and I am believe that being able to contribute to our society and economy is a good thing. Retiring here is not a bad thing, either, if that is their plan. Since the parents are employed and are contemplating options of working here in the US, that is even better.

Living in a sanctuary city and working for a major provider of health care means that I am face-to-face with those who are completely flaunting their illegal status on a daily basis (and are quite proud to proclaim it openly). Going through this visa and immigration process makes me less tolerant and compassionate about those who blatantly disregard the laws of this great country. I am delighted to see an example of someone who is trying to be responsible and honest.

I view it as more of a loophole than an intentional provision in the law that provides a legal path to immigration. I don't get worked up over anyone who does it because it is perfectly legal, just like I don't get overly worked up over 501(c) charities that keep 85% of the money they collect under the guise of "fundraising expenses" because the law allows them to do so. These are both loopholes I would personally like to see closed, however. By the same token, I would advise someone not to come to the US primarily for the purpose of having a child here because I believe it's unethical, just like I advise people not to make donations to charities that use professional fund raising companies.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.