lochness

Entering US while 7-8 months PREGNANT?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone

I am a British citizen married to a US citizen, but we both lived in Britain for the last 4 years. My husband never applied for British citizenship

Now i am 7 months pregnant, and want to travel to US to give birth there because it's better for my baby to be born in USA, even though she would be a US citizen regardless where she is born

My husband has returned to USA permanently, but hasn't started the process of applying for me to join him there permanently, so I am thinking of entering on tourist visa, and giving birth there

will they stop me because I obviuosly just want to give birth there, and will I have to pay for birth myself, or prove to immigration officer that I can afford to pay for birth myself?

Please note as a British citizen I dont need to apply for tourist visa, I just buy my ticket and travel there

The airline allows travel until the 8th month of pregnancy

Also, please dont suggest i have birth in UK, or other things, I want to know if I can travel to have birth in USA, this is the question.

Thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello everyone

I am a British citizen married to a US citizen, but we both lived in Britain for the last 4 years. My husband never applied for British citizenship

Now i am 7 months pregnant, and want to travel to US to give birth there because it's better for my baby to be born in USA, even though she would be a US citizen regardless where she is born

My husband has returned to USA permanently, but hasn't started the process of applying for me to join him there permanently, so I am thinking of entering on tourist visa, and giving birth there

will they stop me because I obviuosly just want to give birth there, and will I have to pay for birth myself, or prove to immigration officer that I can afford to pay for birth myself?

Please note as a British citizen I dont need to apply for tourist visa, I just buy my ticket and travel there

The airline allows travel until the 8th month of pregnancy

Also, please dont suggest i have birth in UK, or other things, I want to know if I can travel to have birth in USA, this is the question.

Thank you

An immigration official would likely determine that you have many reasons to stay in the US if admitted, and few to return home. Assuming that you would be leaving from a pre-screening airport you may not even be allowed on the plane.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

If they let you in you will most likely have to pay for the birth yourself. Does your husband have health insurance? If he is unable to add you to his insurance in time then you will have to pay all medical bills.

I had a baby over here 2 years ago and the bill was over £10,000 - that was for a simple, no complications birth. Anything requiring surgery or longer hospital stays can cost up to £50,000 if not a lot more.

Also assuming you have to return to the UK after the birth you will need to factor that into your planning so that you manage to arrive, give birth and then leave the country within 90 days which is all you are allowed on the visa waiver programme.

An immigration official would likely determine that you have many reasons to stay in the US if admitted, and few to return home. Assuming that you would be leaving from a pre-screening airport you may not even be allowed on the plane.

the immigration official does not have to worry if i intend to come back at all, because i obviously do, since I am married to US citizen, i have the right to apply for a spouse visa, and move there permanently, which is more reasonable for me to do, rather than stay illegally on tourist visa

the problem is me travelling just to give birth there, and also, about paying the bills. But i was told that emergency medicaid would pay for emergency cases such as labour, and you will not have to pay it back?

Most airlines won't allow you to fly that far along and you most likely won't be allowed in

as stated, the airline does allow me to traven until up to 8 months

If they let you in you will most likely have to pay for the birth yourself. Does your husband have health insurance? If he is unable to add you to his insurance in time then you will have to pay all medical bills.

I had a baby over here 2 years ago and the bill was over £10,000 - that was for a simple, no complications birth. Anything requiring surgery or longer hospital stays can cost up to £50,000 if not a lot more.

Also assuming you have to return to the UK after the birth you will need to factor that into your planning so that you manage to arrive, give birth and then leave the country within 90 days which is all you are allowed on the visa waiver programme.

did you use Emergency medicaid? or you simply went and told them you are able to pay privately?

Well we had health insurance through my husband's job so the bill was covered but I remembered being shocked by amount on the paperwork we were sent.

I'm not sure but I think that even if you presented at the ER in labour and they delivered your child as an emergency without requiring insurance immediately that they will still chase your husband for the fees afterward.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

the immigration official does not have to worry if i intend to come back at all, because i obviously do, since I am married to US citizen, i have the right to apply for a spouse visa, and move there permanently, which is more reasonable for me to do, rather than stay illegally on tourist visa

the problem is me travelling just to give birth there, and also, about paying the bills. But i was told that emergency medicaid would pay for emergency cases such as labour, and you will not have to pay it back?

as stated, the airline does allow me to traven until up to 8 months

did you use Emergency medicaid? or you simply went and told them you are able to pay privately?

The immigration official is there to make a determination as to whether you will leave the US if admitted as a tourist/visitor (VWP). Being married to a USC makes it much less more likely that you will not leave as required. You have stronger ties to staying past the allotted time than returning to the UK.

The airline has no part in the decision to allow you to enter the country. They can fly you to the US, and fly you back if you are not admitted.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The immigration official is there to make a determination as to whether you will leave the US if admitted as a tourist/visitor (VWP). Being married to a USC makes it much less more likely that you will not leave as required. You have stronger ties to staying past the allotted time than returning to the UK.

The airline has no part in the decision to allow you to enter the country. They can fly you to the US, and fly you back if you are not admitted.

Most airlines would refuse to fly the pregnant passenger (close to the delivery date, I believe every airline has their own cutoff date) coz if the passenger is denied entry than its their responsibility to fly the passenger on the next available flight.

I would agree with you being married to USC makes it less possible to be grnated entry to US.

And why should we, the AMerican Taxpayers, have to foot the bill for YOUR child??????

Just coz they would like to have baby in US... :bonk:

Most airlines would refuse to fly the pregnant passenger (close to the delivery date, I believe every airline has their own cutoff date) coz if the passenger is denied entry than its their responsibility to fly the passenger on the next available flight.

I would agree with you being married to USC makes it less possible to be grnated entry to US.

Just coz they would like to have baby in US... :bonk:

Sorry, but I am not financially responsible for their decisions....and if you got a bill for $10,000 from the hospital in which they have their child, would YOU want to pay it? And while you are considering answering 'yes' just to allegedly show how supportive you want everyone to believe you are, how many such bills have you paid recently? (I'd guess zero). :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

And how do you plan on obtaining a passport for the child so it can return to the UK with you and not overstay the 90 days on the VWP? Or do you plan to leave the child in the US with your spouse? Say you fly here at 32 weeks (probably the last possible time the airlines will allow if you manage to come at all and if you make it through CBP). That's 8 weeks till you give birth, leaves only 4 weeks to apply for and receive a passport? Not going to happen.

What are the chances of you being allowed into the US? Almost none since you have a US spouse here and will be very pregnant when you make your trip. What proof do they have that you will leave the country and not simply let the US taxpayers pay your and the child's medical expenses and then you adjust status while here in the country?

Emergency medicaid is for emergencies not people who intentionally come to the US for the purpose of giving birth. Why not let your country pay the medical expenses?

Yes there is a strong possibility that you will be taken to secondary inspection/ screening and/or denied outright. You should be prepared to show insurance covering your trip as well as funds that will pay for the costs of the medical care you would receive.

Belinda63's post is right on the money. If you are admitted it would be almost impossible for you to avoid overstaying since newborn babies have to be cleared by a doctor before travelling on a plane, the baby's passport would have to be applied for etc. These considerations don't even take into account possible complications that may arise during the last month of pregnancy or after delivery.

Based on the phrasing of your question though it seems that regardless of the advice you're given here on VJ you will attempt to have your baby in the US.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm sorry but don't you have free medical care in the UK? It's pretty messed up (to say it nicely) to want to burden another country's taxpayers just because it's more convenient for you.

You'll likely be denied entry anyway as you have a spouse there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.