29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I sent my husband's w2 and his dad is a joint sponsor but he is self employed and doesn't have w2. so he wrote a letter explaining that and it was notarized.....

If you submitted tax returns it should have included every supporting document. It would be best to submit a transcript to eliminate errors.

No harm in notarizing the letter but it means nothing to do so. Notaries simply verify signatures not content.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

I think my case is similar to your case. I would like to share with you. My husband's dad is my joint sponsor. He's self employed. I sent his birth certificate, Tax return 2010, tax transcript 2010, W2s 2010, form 1120s 2010-us income tax return for an S corporation with my AOS package. My husband only did I-864, no tax doc or explain letter provided. I didnt have any RFE. I came to the interview with Tax return 2011, W-2s 2011, 1120S 2011, they asked and took all of them at the interview. Hope this could help. Good luck to you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes we sent a copy of his father's passport.

There is nothing to do now but wait for the RFE, we cannot guess what it might be. When you get it, let us know.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

i know how you feel. just wait and see what it says. :thumbs:

AOS JOURNEY

02/24/2012---MAILED I-485,I-130,I-765, TO CHICAGO LOCKBOX
03/05/2012---CHECKS CASHED BY USCIS
03/08/2012---I-765 WAS TOUCHED
03/17/2012--RECIEVED RECIEPT NOTICE FOR I-485,I-130,I-765
03/23/2012---RECIEVED BIOMET
RICS APPOINTMENT
04/05/2012--I-485 RFE MAILED
04/07/2012--I-485 RFE RECIEVED
04/10/2012---RFE REPLY WAS SENT TO USCIS FOR I-485
04/10/2012---WENT TO BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN ELIZABETH NJ(NOW THE NEWARK OFFICE)

04/18/2012---RFE RECIEVD BY USCIS
05/21/2012--- EAD APPROVED CARD PRODUCTION EMAIL RECEIVED
05/24/2012--- SECOND EAD PRODUCTION EMAIL
06/26/2012-- AOS INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!
06/28/2012----APPROVED/CARD PRODUCTION EMAIL
07/07/2012-----10 YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVES

N-400 NATURALIZTION

03/21/2016--- MAILED/FILED N-400

03/24/2016 ---- PACKAGED DELIVERED

03/28/2016---- NOA RECIEPT NOTICE RECIEVED

04/08/2016--- BIOMETRIC SCHEDULED

04/22/2016-- BIOMETRIC DONE

06/20/2016--- INTERVIEW SCHEDULES

07/29/2016--- INTERVIEW/OATH

07/30/2016--- REGISTERED TO VOTE/PASSPORT

event.png

xweHm7.png
REPLACEMENT I-94 JOURNEY
01/20/2012--I-102 MAILED
01/27/2012--USCIS RECIEVED PETITION
02/02/2012--RECIEPT NOTICED RECIEVED
03/05/2012--RFE MAILED
03/10/2012--RFE RECIEVDD
04/05/2012---RFE REPLIED TO
04/17/2012--USCIS RECIVED IT AND IS UNDER REVIEW
07/11/2012-- STILL IS UNDER REVIEW HAHA

I also received two RFE's during the AOS process for taxes. When the first RFE arrived we looked into what with thought they were asking for and scheduled an info pass appointment during which the USCIS guy confirmed our suspicions (my wife's tax returns were incomplete/missing) he also informed us (as did the RFE letter) that my EAD and AP applications would be on hold until the RFE is sorted. We headed home to put together the response to the RFE as per the USCIS guys instructions...2 weeks later the second pinked coloured RFE arrived for the same reason (my wife's taxes). I consulted with the visa journey posters and got a reply that I should get my wife's (the sponsors) back taxes sorted before responding. We headed down to the IRS and filed back taxes plus collected everything we needed then put together the response to the 2nd RFE.

It was at this point (just before sending out the response to the 2nd RFE) that we received a handwritten note from USCIS stating that they didn't need additional tax info for my wife but the co-sponsor i.e. her dad. This hand written/scribbled note was on official headed paper but had no name of the person who sent it. It also contradicted what the official RFE had said the the issue was (both RFE's listed my wife's taxes as causing the hold up not the co-sponsors).

So, we re-organised the RFE response to include additional information regarding her dad's taxes and prepared to send it off. Whilst we were organising ourselves my EAD and AP approval came through. This was before we had even sent our response off and surprised us as the RFE letter and USCIS guy both said that they would be on hold until the RFE was sorted.

A couple of weeks after sending off the 2nd RFE response I recieved a AOS interview appointment which is this coming Friday.

My story may be unusual and slightly different to yours but it proves that people can get 2 RFE's for the same thing. I understand your frustration as its hard to know what these people are asking you for when they don't know themselves and even infopass appointments shed no light on the matter.

Its probably the missing 1099's as another poster has said!

Edited by nutsmunkey2000

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey guys. just got the letter with my second rfe. we need to submit all supporting tax documentation for joint sponsor. 1099s and all supporting tax schedules. on the bottom of this pink slip there is a handwritten note: must have this evidence to prove income. last request before denial... my father in law is self employed so please guys help me out here. he will know what all this is?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I was going to say submit your FIL's tax transcript, but the RFE (based on your posting) states that they want a complete tax return. He should know what it is, and it contains everything he or a tax professional (if he used one) submitted to the IRS. As previous members have posted, it needs to include all backup support for the 1040 (which may include 1099, W2, 1098-T, schedule D, schedule C, and etc.). Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I was going to say submit your FIL's tax transcript, but the RFE (based on your posting) states that they want a complete tax return. He should know what it is, and it contains everything he or a tax professional (if he used one) submitted to the IRS. As previous members have posted, it needs to include all backup support for the 1040 (which may include 1099, W2, 1098-T, schedule D, schedule C, and etc.). Good luck.

A tax transcript INCLUDES all the schedules etc so a transcript is a better option.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

A tax transcript INCLUDES all the schedules etc so a transcript is a better option.

Yes. Have him get his 2011 tax return transcript from the IRS. They are free. http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=232168,00.html

Since he is self-employed, they will go by line 22 of his 1040, which is total income. This line reflects any deductions taken on Schedule C being subtracted first, so it is possible that line does not show his total gross income. Make sure that he has enough to cover himself, his household plus the intending immigrant according to the amount shown on that line of his 2011 taxes.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

make sure to send in ALL tax schedules with the tax forms. I would also include worksheets if possible. Self-employed sponsers are looked at much much more closely then w-2 people. Make sure to include the last 3 years of taxes for him, not just hte last year. Make sure to include COMPLETE tax returns, if there are worksheets, include these as well. 1099's and other statement of income MUST also be included. I would also suggest having an accountant or CPA or bank notarize the forms if possible. I wis h you the best on this. Self-employed sponsors are many, however, they are looked at much much closer and when a co-sponsor, adds more investigation. From what I have read, you have only sent 1 year for your father in law. For self employed, it must be the last 3 years.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

make sure to send in ALL tax schedules with the tax forms. I would also include worksheets if possible. Self-employed sponsers are looked at much much more closely then w-2 people. Make sure to include the last 3 years of taxes for him, not just hte last year. Make sure to include COMPLETE tax returns, if there are worksheets, include these as well. 1099's and other statement of income MUST also be included. I would also suggest having an accountant or CPA or bank notarize the forms if possible. I wis h you the best on this. Self-employed sponsors are many, however, they are looked at much much closer and when a co-sponsor, adds more investigation. From what I have read, you have only sent 1 year for your father in law. For self employed, it must be the last 3 years.

Tax transcripts include all that information, but you can send a complete copy if you wish. They do not need to be notarized, and nowhere in the I-864 instructions does it state self-employed MUST send in the last 3 years of transcripts instead of just the most recent.

For anyone that is curious, this is what is on a tax return transcript (yours will of course show the values pertaining to your taxes at the end of the dotted lines): http://www.efile.com/irs-publication/Tax-Return-Copy-Transcript.pdf

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.