AKSinghSingh79

Why did you decide to settle in the U.S. versus your spouse/fiance(e)'s native country?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Annette refused to move to "grey, damp" London. She's been over there dozens of times and claims she's never seen the sun.

So here we are in Colorado with its 300+ sunny days a year. Not keen on the bitterly cold, dry winters. But aside from that, I can't argue with her weather choice.

ha i spent a month in bromley, just outside of London and there were maybe 5 sunny days throughout my visit all together, the rest of the time it rained like crazy

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

For us we will live here in the U.S.A (Texas) until i retire or decide i have had of enough of the B.S here in America. Then we will move back to her home land (Philippines)For one her family is there, the people are really nice for the most part,living there is cheap,it beautiful country depending where you are at,Besides my fiancee would rather us live there than here anyways, but i can't support us there right now to where i can here.

Edited by Pinoylover

Even though we are far from each other right now I know you are close to me in other ways,you are always here in my heart. You give me reason to look forward to each day,You are my life and a dream come true.there are no words to express how i feel for you.You are the light in my darkness.There could never be words strong enough to express my love for you but I'm going to show it to you everyday as long as i live.I love you with my body,soul and mind.I love you very much baby.Mwaaaaaaaaah!

Your Wife to be,

Aijeen

Filed: Timeline

I've lived in the US on and off for 9 years (student), have an American education and speak English fluently. My wife speaks no Norwegian and could barely survive the climate here for the three months she stayed here (Even I struggle with Norwegian winters). I've found the US easy to adjust to, while she had difficulty adjusting to the language, culture and climate here. Plus, we planned to stay here for a few years but quickly found out immigration rules were even stricter here than in the US. Couldn't sponsor her without a $40,000 - 50,000 annual income, no co-sponsors allowed. All in all it was a logical choice to settle in the US.

Edited by jaejayC

My husband first came to live in England with me, even though he didnt really want to! But i didnt want to leave my family etc.

Since he has been here it's been one thing after another, cant find a job, got a house on a crappy estate where we cant get 5 minutes peace and just generally not in an ideal position for us or our daughter.

Its now got to the point where neither of us are happy here because we're just existing and draining the government which was NEVER our intention. We have both been offered a job with family in America so the only sensible thing would be to go for it. The thing stopping me for a long time was that my mum cant seem to go 5 minutes without me picking up the pieces from all of her life disasters but i need to do this for myself, my husband and my daughter now.

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Most of my relatives live in the US plus I think my fiance cannot tolerate the kind of weather we have here in the Philippines.. :yes:

[u]Our Journey[/u]

04/02/2010 ***** We met on-line
04/30/2010 ***** We realized we were crazy about each other
12/23/2010 ***** First meeting in person, Manila, Philippines
12/30/2010 ***** William proposed to Elle in Manila, Philippines. Engaged!
08/09/2011 ***** Second meeting in person, Philippines
04/06/2012 ***** Third meeting in person, Philippines
06/12/2012 ***** Mailed I-129F to USCIS in Lewisville, TX
06/13/2012 ***** I-129F received by USCIS in Lewisville, TX
06/15/2012 ***** Received email notification: acceptance of I-129F petiton, NOA1
06/21/2012 ***** Received hard copy of I-797C, NOA1 in the mail
12/12/2012 ***** Received NOA2 by email, approval of I-129F petition on 12/11/2012
12/15/2012 ***** Received NOA2 hard copy in the mail
12/20/2012 ***** Called NVC to get MNL case number
12/20/2012 ***** NVC said our petition was sent to the Consulate in Manila on 12/18/2012
01/01/2013 ***** K-1, K-2 VISA Fees Paid at BPI; Scheduled Interview online for 02/05/2013

01/10/2013 ***** Medical Exam at St. Lukes Clinic
02/05/2013 ***** VISA Interview at US Embassy in Manila...Approved!
02/11/2013 ***** Received K-1/K-2 VISA packets
02/13/2013 ***** POE Washington Dulles International Airport
02/26/2013 ***** Applied for SS#

03/29/2013 ***** SS card received by mail

12/13/2013 ***** AOS approval notice received; green card on the way
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

We're here - for now.

I think the only point that tipped us over to the US side for now was the fact that having US experience in my husband's field will open more doors to him back home.

We both had similar amounts of family that we both love dearly and using English in India is common place so there weren't any language issues.

But, when we do go back, we know that we will live in a major metro as lifestyles between Delhi/Mumbai/Bangalore are much different than that of more rural areas and even some second tier cities.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

All my immediate family is in America on my father's side and my mother's side all in Italy.In America I'm use to the life style besides the work is better than my husband's country.More opportunities in America for both our Jobs.Besides I love my country America :thumbs: But I do love Egypt too.Maybe years from now we will settle in Egypt but for now there is no possibility :(

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

For us it was a combination of factors, mainly, I have medical needs that I need very well treated or I risk infertility, I want to graduate in the US, he would make MUCH more money in the US at the same job, we'd be able to rent a much better flat in most cities, and I just don't want to raise children in Moscow. If we weren't thinking about kids I'd probably consider staying here in Russia. Not to mention Russian bureaucracy... I'm not willing to deal with it just to live there.

I'd live in her country in a heart beat if I could make a living there. There is zero demand for my career in the Philippines, and to live there means retirement for me. Or if I could work, I doubt I could generate enough income to live at any standard I'm used to. She had often said to me, come live here, you don't have to work and I'll support you. I'd just have to learn to live like a Filipino, eating rice and dried fish all the time. I need a bit more and doubt I would be happy living quite so rough. But now thats she's here I do eat a lot closer to a Filipino diet than an American diet. Eventually I convinced her to come to the USA and marry me. Believe me it wasn't easy and she'd still jump at the chance to return there. Now when I retire, which is about 15 years away now, I'll happily move to the Philippines. I think I'd still want to spend part of the year here though, at least the summers. And we'll have to see if she turns into a spoiled American by that time, or could she still handle living at a standard somewhere between an American and a Filipino in her home country.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

My husband doesn't speak Norwegian, while I'm fluent in English. His education and career does not lend itself well to a Norwegian employment situation (without addictional education, anyway), so he'd be stuck with McJobs (which seems silly after two degrees and eleven years of higher education). He (and I as well, to a certain degree) get terrible seasonal depression, so having so few daylight hours during the winter in Norway would be rough. Immigration to America was way easier.

I do still hold out hope that we'll move to Norway in the future; we've been looking into it.

Married since 03/02/2011, AOS from F-1 visa, green card granted 05/24/2011.
Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

02/27/2013 - I-751 packet sent
03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - I-751 Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I grew up here and even though I been to Pakistan many times, I don't think I can live there. I get homesick after a week there. Electricity keep going, the traffic, getting sick often, the weather....etc etc. I don't I can handle. Not to mention, more likely I won't be able to find a job and I do have student loans here. He has trouble finding a proper job there too and it's really not safe for an American to live in Pakistan. So it's a better choice for him to come here.

I was still living in my parents basement at age 30. I had a decent job, but my husband made double what I made. My husband has his own place. I also wanted to do something that people never thought I would do, as I am a pretty shy and timid person. I'm one of those people who likes to keep things simple. Doing this was a total change of pace for me and has made me feel more confident in myself. I still haven't met many people here yet, but I am sure that will change once I get a job. Or go to school.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

He was here (Peru) for almost two years. But he couldn't adjust that well. There are things here (like traffic) he will never get used to. Also the weather, it's not that bad, but in winter there is no sunny days at all (most likely the sky is always gray) and this kind of make him feel depressed all the time, so we decided to move to the States, for those reasons

10-24-2012: AOS, EAD, AP Sent

11-04-2012: NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

11-06-2012: Biometrics App Letter

11-16-2012: My baby boy was born

11-19-2012: Biometrics Appointment

12-29-2012: AP Approved

01-04-2013: EAD Approved

01-10-2013: Combo Card Arrived

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

The first time my fiancé stepped outside in Portland, he said, "It feels like Wales!" (He's Welsh by birth, but lives in England at the moment.) Portland has a decent size Brit expat community and the pubs to show for it. We can get his beloved Marmite at the local supermarket and he already has locally-made faves.

For us, it was more that I have the steady career and income at the moment that can support the two of us (plus my cat). Plus, he's already making a list of all the other food carts he wants to try once he's here. :lol: That said, we've definitely talked about moving back to either the UK or Europe in the future. But for now, being in the US is the plan.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.