SaharaSunset

Do you HAVE to enter a Social Security number?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So we just got the EAD card yesterday but my husband started the process of looking for work when we got the first email a week ago. As we look at jobs posted etc, some of them ask for a social security number in the application. Although we are planning to go immediately on Monday an apply for one, I am wondering if we can just use his A-number or something while we wait for the SS number? One job even says you can enter the receipt number(after you have applied for one) - is that really possible?

And how long will that SS number take to get? I called the general Social Security Office a while ago and the lady(who was quite unpleasant and unhelpful) said something about it taking 8 weeks!?!? Is that true - or is it usually faster?? And if it does take 8 weeks, can we at least get the number beforehand?

He has the EAD and wants to work ASAP...any info would be appreciated :help:

Edited by SaharaSunset

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yes he needs the SS number. It is how his wages are reported to the government. It will take a bit for it to process. He could tell the company that his SS number is in process and ask that they consider the appication ( for a yes no decision ) but the day he is hired and works he needs it.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No you cannot just enter the A number while waiting for the SSN number they are two completely different things.

He must have the SSN to work.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Please to study the I-9 form, today, when you get a chance.

re: SSN apply on Monday - go for it !

Can come back on Tuesday and get the actual number, if there were no glitches in the SAVE database lookup on Monday at the SSA office.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

They shouldn't be asking for a SSN in a job application, though. It's not relevant until he is hired.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Okay, thanks for the info! One of the jobs requesting a social is a job in a public school, maybe that's why they asked. But now I'm kinda wondering what's the point of an EAD if you need a social security number anyway?? :blink:

A SSN is not the right to work. A SSN is so that a person can pay into, and later benefit from, the Social Security System, which gives money to the elderly. He needs EAD to work, and he needs the number so his wages can be recorded in the SS system.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

They shouldn't be asking for a SSN in a job application, though. It's not relevant until he is hired.

A lot of job applications ask for it, though. My job did a background check and verified SSN before I was hired.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Please note that you have to wait 10 working days after the EAD issuing date before SS office can process your SSN.

My EAD card says "Valid from 01/20/12"

I got the card in my mail box on Saturday 01/28

First thing on Monday, 01/30/2012, I went to SS office.

The officer told me that my data was still not in the system and I had to wait for 10 "working days" (the day I went was day 6th). She kept my paper and told me that she will process it when the time come and that I should get my SSN in the mailbox in around 2-3 weeks. So I left my application and all paper there.

2 weeks later, on Friday, Feb 10th, I got a phone call from the same officer, asked me to come in to SS office due to she have tried to process it but she still couldn't find my data in the system. So she wanted to see all the original paper like EAD card number, passport number, I-94 number.. to check if she had everything right.

I went there, she still could not process it, no data of my EAD in the system. She told me she had to send mail to the Homeland Security to validate my status and that will take me another 3-4 weeks to get my SSN.

My thought was she should have tried to process my case since Feb 3rd, as that was day 10th since my EAD card has been valid. I could have saved 1 week by going there by myself again on that day, not just left all the paper with her.

I finally got my SSN in the mail box on March 3rd.

So all in all, it took me 5 weeks since my first visit to SS office to get my SSN. (I think normal time should be less than 2 weeks)

Naturalization

04/22/15 (Day 0) N-400 Package sent

08/03/15 Interview - Recommend for Approval

08/18/15 Oath Ceremony

ROC

12/17/2013 (Day 0) ROC Package sent

12/23/2013 (Day 7) NOA date

01/27/14 (Day 43) Biometric Appointment

03/14/14 Case transferred to CSC

05/16/14 New Card Received

AOS from B2
11/14/2011 (Day 0) AOS Package sent (I-130, I-485, I-765)
11/15/2011 (Day 1) Package received by USCIS

12/12/2011 Biometrics Appointment
01/28/2012 (Day 74) EAD Card in hands
02/02/2012 (Day 79) Received letter of Interview Notice
03/02/2012 (Day 108) Interview - Dallas
03/21/2012 (Day 127) Green Card in Hands!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ditto to another posted that said - I had to give mine for a background check. it really depends on the job and you should use your discretion but remember that your SSN is "you" and just handing it out to sources you don't trust can result in people stealing your identity and stuff like that.

Okay, thanks for the info! One of the jobs requesting a social is a job in a public school, maybe that's why they asked. But now I'm kinda wondering what's the point of an EAD if you need a social security number anyway?? :blink:

Yep that's right. They will need it for a background check. Working with kids is like that :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.