inneedofhelp

Am I Classed As A Naturalized Citizen?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello Fellow Members,

I am looking to get myself a FOID card (Firearm Owners Identification Card). On the application it asks if I am a US Citizen or a naturalized citizen. I am currently a green card holder which I obtained late last year (10 year green card) I obviously know that I am not a US Citizen, so am i classed as a naturalized citizen or am I still classed as an alien? There is a box on the form to put in an alien number but on my green card it no longer shows my alien number.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You are an alien. Not sure about where they put this number, may be look at the documentations you filed. It should be there.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You will be a naturalized citizen after you go through the entire process of an approved N-400, citizenship ceremony and or oath taking.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Alien number is on your Green card. it appears as USCIS #

K1-K2 Visas Journey

(Day 1) 05/23/07: Packet sent to CSC

(Day 247) 01/25/08: Interview. Approved!

(Day 254) 02/01/08: Visas Received.

AOS Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 04/20/08: Application sent.

(Day 73) 07/02/08: EAD,AP Approved!

(Day 108) 08/05/08: AOS Approved!

(Day 114) 08/11/08: 2 years GC received.

ROC Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 05/09/10: Application sent.

(Day 129) 09/14/10: ROC Approved!

(Day 135) 09/20/10: 10 years GC received.

Naturalization Journey

(Day 1) 10/02/11: Application sent.

(Day 122) 01/31/12: Interview. PASSED!

(Day 125) 02/03/12: Oath Ceremony. Done!

End of our Journey:

Daughter and I became U.S. Citizens on 02/03/2012.

(Day 1) 02/09/12: Applied for U.S. Passport & Passport card.

(Day 16) 02/24/12: Passport received.

(Day 19) 02/27/12: Passport Card received.

(Day 24) 03/03/12: Got CoN back.

N-600 for Daughter

(Day 1) 02/04/12: Application sent.

(Day 117) 05/30/12: Picked up Certificate of Citizenship at USCIS local office Chicago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Your are a "legal permanent resident" or a "resident alien". Your alien number IS on your card in two places. It's on the front listed as USCIS# and also on the back in the shiny section at the top as A#. It is also on your NOA2 from either your approved I-129F or approved I-130. Depends how you got your GC.

You will be a naturalised citizen if/when you file the N-400 to become a US citizen. Technically a US citizen and naturalised citizen are the same thing, both are US citizens... but for the purposes of this form they obviously distinguish between born in the US (US citizen) and having applied for citizenship following being an LPR (naturalised).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Can an LPR own a gun or firearm? I thought only Citizens can own them.

I think it varies by state, but the 2nd Amendment refers to "the people", not "citizens," so arguably any right to bear arms derived from the 2nd Amendment should apply to all legal residents of the US.

Not that I am a lawyer, or wanting to get into a gun rights argument, but the practice questions for the Civics test includes a question along the lines of "What is one right that applies to all people in the US" and one of the answers is "the right to bear arms."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello Fellow Members,

I am looking to get myself a FOID card (Firearm Owners Identification Card). On the application it asks if I am a US Citizen or a naturalized citizen. I am currently a green card holder which I obtained late last year (10 year green card) I obviously know that I am not a US Citizen, so am i classed as a naturalized citizen or am I still classed as an alien? There is a box on the form to put in an alien number but on my green card it no longer shows my alien number.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

neither, you are a LPR, not a USC. don't check anything that you aren't

the above repliers all true. and there is an actual question on citizenship application form asks " have you ever claimed to be a U.S citizen( in writing or any other way)?. when you apply for your citizenship.

Edited by cupoftea

Timeline

Can an LPR own a gun or firearm? I thought only Citizens can own them.

Under current federal law -- a LPR can purchase and own firearms. Illegal aliens are prohibited from firearm ownership.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

Filed: Other Timeline

Are you sure that form distinguishes between natural-born and naturalized U.S. citizens? I've never heard of such a thing and I am having a hard time believing this.

Usually, the distinction is made between U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, a.k.a. Green Card holders. If someone in California wants a gun permit, they have to state whether they are a U.S. citizen or a LPR and the latter ones need to provide a copy of their Green Card with their application.

I second what has been said before. If you mark anything that remotely suggests that you are a U.S. citizen on a form regarding firearms, then this will go into the ATF federal database and at the naturalization stage it will come up during the extensive FBI background check and database search and that's the moment when you committed immigration suicide. "False claim of [uS] citizenship is the worst non-violent crime a foreigner in the U.S. can commit. It's a deportable offense with a lifetime bar attached and no waiver available. It's easy to make a mistake here out of carelessness, one that can change your life forever, which is why I am so interested in the distinction you mentioned.

Any chance you can scan that form or provide a link to it?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Are you sure that form distinguishes between natural-born and naturalized U.S. citizens? I've never heard of such a thing and I am having a hard time believing this.

Usually, the distinction is made between U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, a.k.a. Green Card holders. If someone in California wants a gun permit, they have to state whether they are a U.S. citizen or a LPR and the latter ones need to provide a copy of their Green Card with their application.

I second what has been said before. If you mark anything that remotely suggests that you are a U.S. citizen on a form regarding firearms, then this will go into the ATF federal database and at the naturalization stage it will come up during the extensive FBI background check and database search and that's the moment when you committed immigration suicide. "False claim of [uS] citizenship is the worst non-violent crime a foreigner in the U.S. can commit. It's a deportable offense with a lifetime bar attached and no waiver available. It's easy to make a mistake here out of carelessness, one that can change your life forever, which is why I am so interested in the distinction you mentioned.

Any chance you can scan that form or provide a link to it?

Here

Edited by Leatherneck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.