davidb79

Bringing pets from your home country

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

My wife has been here since October. She left 2 rabbits and 2 cats back in Germany with her dad. Her dad already has a cat, so it's not a big deal for him to watch a second and third one, but he has little patience for the rabbits and wants them gone as soon as possible. It just so happens that my wife received her green card today, so now she is able to go back to Germany and deal with the situation. From the day we started talking about making a life together in America, I told her that I intended to bring all of the pets over when we could. I meant it then and I still mean it. But the key phrase is "when we can." Right now, we are renting a small house and I am the only one working (and I only make about $25k a year). We are paying our bills and getting by, but we aren't really saving anything at the moment. Considering the small living quarters and lack of much financial cushion, I am opposed to bringing the pets here right now. I would feel better about it once my wife has a job and we have a little more financial breathing room (of course, her getting a job will be another challenge altogether, but that's another topic for another day).

At the same time, her dad has expected all along that as soon as she had her green card, she would come back to take the pets off his hands (the rabbits, at least; I think he would continue watching the cats for as long as needed). So she is in a difficult position, where her dad wants her to get them out, but I am hesitant to bring them here now...so she has no idea what to do. And I don't know what to tell her. I'm sympathetic because I lost my dogs in a previous divorce. I will likely never see them again, but I'm not asking her to never see her pets again. I'm asking her to be patient. But her dad may not allow that patience.

I've asked her if she has any friends who would be willing to watch them until we are on our feet a little more, but she hasn't indicated that that is a possibility. And obviously I would not ask her to give them away permanently (though I'm not going to deny that I'd be a little relieved if she would do that, though I would also feel bad). So, we don't know what to do. It's a big source of conflict between us, and I'd like some insight as to how some of you have dealt with issues like this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Go buy her 2 rabbits. Do you have any idea what it will cost to ship 2 RABBITS.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Timeline

Go buy her 2 rabbits. Do you have any idea what it will cost to ship 2 RABBITS.

She said she read on the Lufthansa website that they carry pets for $70. I don't know if that includes rabbits or if they are more or what. Anybody know? If that's prohibitively expensive, then that's yet another issue. But buying her 2 rabbits would not solve the problem. It's the expense of the pets in the first place that I have a problem with, considering our current situation. And she'd still have two rabbits back in Germany that she needs to get off her dad's hands. She nursed them pretty much back from the dead as babies so I can't underestimate her connection with them. I'd hate to see her have to give them away.

Yes sir buy new rabbits, you'll save a bunch. If it is that you're wife is attached to the rabbits she can work the money and bring them over yourself.

Another thing, you mentioned that you are renting a small house but you didn't mention yard space. Sir, to be frank, rabbits stink esp if they are kept indoor WITH AC. The only way to solve that problem would be to 1- leave them outside or 2- have their cage inside and having have to clean their cage about every other day if not more often. Considering that you're under financial constraints, this could be quite costly esp if you factor in food.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

She said she read on the Lufthansa website that they carry pets for $70. I don't know if that includes rabbits or if they are more or what. Anybody know? If that's prohibitively expensive, then that's yet another issue. But buying her 2 rabbits would not solve the problem. It's the expense of the pets in the first place that I have a problem with, considering our current situation. And she'd still have two rabbits back in Germany that she needs to get off her dad's hands. She nursed them pretty much back from the dead as babies so I can't underestimate her connection with them. I'd hate to see her have to give them away.

I Understand it is sensitive to her. Just seems highly expensive for her to travel and retrieve 2 rabbits. LOL. I don't know what other Fees would be involved but Customs sure as hell is not just going to let them board a plane without some documentation as to the heath of the pets.

You have a good heart for considering her request. That Makes You A Marshmellow In Her Hands. You know what happens to Marshmellows don't you? :rofl:

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It won't be cheap. This guy tells you what you need to know: http://www.rabbitgeek.com/whitman_import.html You will also need to check with the airline you're going to use and what country you're talking about matters.

For example. Australia doesn't permit animals to come in via carry-on, they MUST be cargo and this is quite expensive.

United has a "petsafe" program. Here is a link to their FB photo that includes a rate from Germany to US: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=325527987484750&set=a.325527587484790.67567.199504650087085&type=3&theater $150 is the cheapest.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Yeah, aaydrian, I know they stink. And, knowing my wife, I don't think she'd be up for leaving them outside (I've had a rabbit previously and I kept him inside as well, so I'm with her on that one). That's why I prefer to wait until we are in a bigger house and under less financial constraints.

And, Tim/Mav, you are making me reconsider my position on this saying that I have a good heart. I actually thought, to be honest, that I was being a bit of an insensitive jerk. ;) Both of us are big animal lovers so maybe we look at it differently than most. Asking her to give her rabbits away is, in my opinion, sort of like asking someone to give their kids away. You just don't do it. I wish I had it in me to say, "Just leave 'em in Germany, we'll get new ones," but she probably wouldn't have married me if I were that sort of person. ;)

Timeline

Thanks, Vanessa&Tony, I found that website earlier and used it in my argument that this could be complicated, expensive, and even dangerous to the animals. A big part of me thinks the reasonable thing is for her to find a good home for them, but I do worry about her having resentment towards me down the line if she has to do that in order to be with me. It's not an easy situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your main concern is the airlines and whatever Germany may require. The US requires dogs to have rabies vaccines but other small animals do not need that. Ukraine required a health check and export permit (bribe) to allow the animals to leave. My wife brought a dog and a cat. It cost an extra $200 in fees for the airline, $100 bribe for the certificate of health (for both) plus a rabies shot for the dog and two carriers for the animals. check with airlines from start to finish of your journey. Some airlines allow animals for foreign flights but not domestic flights.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I've owned rabbits and I know I wouldn't leave mine behind as they are wonderful pets.... but.. flying rabbits from Germany to USA? That would be really stressful on a fragile prey animal so I wouldn't do it. I would make sure they went to a good home, as I'd be too worried they would die during the trip from the stress.

My last bunny barely handled a 30 minute bus ride in which I had him in a carrier on my lap. He was stressed out all night after that trip.

Price wise of having rabbits isn't too bad. Price out food and hay is usually pretty cheap. All their treats can be fruit and veggie scraps. I lived with a rabbit in just a room, smell is fine if the rabbits are fixed and litter trained.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
flying rabbits from Germany to USA? That would be really stressful on a fragile prey animal so I wouldn't do it. I would make sure they went to a good home, as I'd be too worried they would die during the trip from the stress.
This was my exact thought, too, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Don't argue, just do it. This is your wife, be her man. Men solve problems, just solve it. Marshmallows, if you must, look for ways to avoid responsibility, whine, make excuses and generally disappoint everyone around them.

I agree with Gary and Alla. If your wife wants the rabbits here and you can afford to do it (even with scrimping and saving), you should do it. Although it is a long and possibly dangerous journey for a pair of rabbits. If you wife is aware of that and still feels she needs to take the risks, then you should do it.

We shipped our dog with Lufthansa all the way from Kuwait to Houston, Texas. It wasn't cheap (and we were traveling with him, so it was cheaper than cargo), nor was it fun for us or the dog, but necessary. Lufthansa was great. If you have to ship animals, Lufthansa is the way to go.

I wish I had it in me to say, "Just leave 'em in Germany, we'll get new ones," but she probably wouldn't have married me if I were that sort of person.

You are right. If my husband had told me to give up the dog and find him a home in Kuwait, I would have questioned who I married. No way was that in the equation. Figure out how to make it work.

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've asked her if she has any friends who would be willing to watch them until we are on our feet a little more, but she hasn't indicated that that is a possibility. And obviously I would not ask her to give them away permanently (though I'm not going to deny that I'd be a little relieved if she would do that, though I would also feel bad). So, we don't know what to do. It's a big source of conflict between us, and I'd like some insight as to how some of you have dealt with issues like this.

I looked into bringing my kitty from the USA to the UK.

After researching the process, I learned it can take

at least 6 months just preparing the animal for the

trip, loads of forms, and when I started hitting

costs upwards to $5000, my heart broke and gave up.

I don't know what the process is from Germany to

the USA, but I can't imagine it's cheap.

Plus the stress put upon these dear animals.

If your wife truely loved these animals, she

would try to find a loving home for them where

ever they are now, and buy some new ones in the US.

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Rabbits are hardly hardy enough to survive a trans-Atlantic flight without major distress (or death). Not fair to the animal at all.

:ot:

My wife had a friend in Shanghai, a French guy. He found a stray cat and took it in. Nursed it back to health. A year or so later he decided to move to the US to open a restaurant and he also decided the cat would be happier with his sister in Paris. A few thousand dollars later the cat is sprung from quarantine in France and driven home to a lovely Paris flat. Two days after that the cat is back on the street and never heard from again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.